Lying On An Overdose | Teen Ink

Lying On An Overdose

By fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky
fictitiouspieces PLATINUM, Louisville, Kentucky

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
― Arthur C. Clarke

Setting: The room is dimly lit, as a hospital bed lay in the middle of the spotlight. The loud streets of New York City, 2002 are muted by the shaded, plexiglass windows. The beeps of a heart monitor are the only sounds within the room. The person that lay in the bed is a drug addict who is the sister of Michael Quinn, a 28-year-old business CEO. Michael is known for his cautious and organized way of living, along with his optimistic and very intellectual way of thinking. He wears his favorite pastel polos and his black slacks to show his professionalism. Michael enjoys writing, working out, and playing his acoustic guitar. While he is much too involved in his work schedule to spend much time for himself and his family, his protective nature won’t keep him from situations he is needed in. As he comes in through the entrance he sees a paper expressing that Michaels’ sister has overdosed on drugs and is in a coma. He takes off work to go and see what had happened, and to his dismay, his sister has gotten carried away. The bed is neatly covered, showing the ever-so stillness his sister has had, the IV is tucked neatly against her pale arm. The brown, dented, metal chair lay a content distance from the bed. The heart monitor beeps steadily.

Michael: (He pulls at his hair, sinking his face into the palms of his hands) Why’d you do it? After I encouraged you, did my best to be a good brother… (Pause and a sigh) I’m not sure what pushed you to think this was even close to a good idea – I just don’t know. After all those times you begged for money, lied to me about where my latest paycheck went, hell – making me think some bum took it from my back pocket while we were walking in the street. (He sharply inhales, squeezing his temples in attempt to hold back tears before letting out a weak chuckle) And how you stole from not only me – even my own family! What on earth made you think that was a good idea? (He slams a fist onto the small bedside table) You’d think after all those years in school – of how many drug prevention speeches and presentations we got. Did those mean nothing to you? Really? (He looks towards the ceiling, avoiding looking at his sister) I swear, as soon as you open your eyes, you will go to the rehab you need, and this will never happen again. Not on my watch. (Pause) Ugh. I still can’t understand, can’t look at you without resentment in my eyes. Are you even listening? Hell, if I know.

Have you ever had the joy of love? Or the warmth of happiness? Probably not. You leaned on your drugs to show you love, you relied on drugs to feign what happiness is. Did you ever come to me? For anything but money? I don’t recall. Mom and dad are gone, we are all we have left…why did you never come to me for help? (He wipes his brow, sweat dampening his thumb) I could never say all this with you, I’m being a total jerk right, now aren’t I? I probably am, but I can’t help it! You always said that being a jerk never helps anything, I’m hopeless though! All I’ve ever focused on was school, school, and more school! But… I never even realized you might’ve been experiencing things one person shouldn’t go through alone.

I want you to realize that no matter how hard I was on you, or how hard I was on myself, I don’t blame you for anything. I know you tried doing your best, but you just got shoved from your normal path of living. I guess… I just miss you that’s all. I miss your original laughter and the jokes we would make when we were younger. Ever since mom and dad were not by our side, I never appreciated completely how much I should be spending my time with you, trying my best to help. But, all I did was become angry and hostile, and I just want you to know that I am so truly sorry. I messed up. (Tears are sliding down his stubbly, tan face, dropping into his palms) I never appreciated our time together, and I should’ve, all I can hope is that you will forgive me for not being the brother you needed. I just hope you know that…I hope you remember that I love you, I always will, always have. Even if… (Pause and a sniffle) Even if you didn’t know it when you were still here. (There is a faint sound of a flat-line on the heart monitor, the words from Michael become softer until the flat-line is the only thing that can be heard. As if the flat-line had been sounding as soon as her brother began his first words, and the faint smile on her lips had been there by the time he finished.)

(The stage goes black)

A smile is worth a thousand words.