Room Doom | Teen Ink

Room Doom

March 20, 2019
By beatzbydrei BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
beatzbydrei BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Introduction: Takes place in a typical double college dorm, the room smells like stale chips. One side is tidy and organized, while the only is cluttered; clothes all over the floor and empty bottles all over the desk. Tina has an upcoming exam for psychology on Monday and has decided to review over the weekend. Bertha on the other hand, is celebrating with her debate team against their win against their rivals. Bertha and her friends are trying to convince Tina to go out with them Saturday night. However, there is too much material for Tina to review and has designated each day to a certain topic in her exam; if she doesn’t pass this class she’ll be kicked off the soccer team. Bertha is offended because she attends all of the events Tina plans and attempts to convince her to come, but her health is affected by a new drink she has ordered from Starbucks; Bertha is lactose intolerant and she finds out the hard way.


Body of Dialog:

Bertha: Come out with us, we are celebrating our win! (She comes in with the new Starbucks drink everyone has been talking about)

Tina: Not tonight, I have a boatload of studying to do and my brain is going to be extremely fried if I put this off for another day.

Bertha: I came to all the events you threw, even when I had things due that night, come for a little bit, it’s a really big deal for my team and I, you know that.

Tina: If I don’t study, I’m going to fail, you also know that.

Bertha: You still have time to study, that’s more than enough time to review your chapters, plus you’re a great test taker. Even when you tell people you didn’t study, you still get A’s. But I know since you’re my best friend, you’re willing to go out tonight.

Tina: Even if I was a really consistent test taker, I would literally die if I don’t do well on this exam, so I really have to take as much time as I can do study. I’m sorry!

Bertha: Studies show that if you don’t take a break and come back to it, it won’t actually stick to your memory. So you might as well use this break to come party!

There’s nothing wrong with partying during exam week; people do it all the time, so you’re not an exception.

Either you love me enough to go to the party or you hate me.

Tina: If I’m going to be honest with you, I really can’t go. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I will make it up to you but I have to focus on my exam. It’s really important to me, just like debate team is to you. Please understand.

Bertha: You have been studying for this exam since the professor assigned it, there is no way you’re going to fail.

You have excused yourself from every activity we’ve planned this month, you are not bailing out of this one. Especially knowing how much this victory means to my team and I.

*holds her guts* I don’t feel so good..

Tina: What’s the matter? Are you okay?

Bertha: I think it’s this new drink, it made my stomach really upset. I have to run to the bathroom and I really don’t think I can set up for this party, my stomach is killing me.

I can’t believe this is! I know Fred can’t handle this on his own, this party is going to start soon. I think I’m going to have to cancel this party. Everyone was really looking forward to tonight too, people are going to hate me for this.

Fred: *runs into the room* Just got your terrible text!

You can’t cancel the party, Joe is going to be there! Tina please help me out! You’re putting Bertha’s love life on the line, and my social status! Please, it will be a quick set up.

Tina: Maybe, it depends on how much I need to do for you guys.

But I can’t believe she drank that! Does Bertha remember last weekend, when she ate that ice cream and then she got bubble guts? Shouldn’t she have expected the same outcome, since her drink has dairy. Now I feel so guilty but I have to study!

Fred: Do you know what it’s like to be the debate captain? No. Let me explain it to you, they do not sit on their butts all day. Even though they are really busy they still make time for their friends. They are very supportive when it comes to their teammates, friends and family. They take more classes than anyone can handle, yet they can still give their time and attention when you need. Yeah, Bertha has done all that and more. So if you think your problems are harder than anyone else’s, you’re wrong.

Tina: I can’t come out, I will fail my test. If I fail my test, my GPA will drop. If it drops, I won't be a part of the softball team.

You guys don’t even have to study for anything, so how can you guys understand? (syllogism) I have to work so hard to get where I am.

Bertha: *walks in* Sorry, did I just hear that correctly?

It doesn’t take luck to be a part of the debate team either. You believe that to pass an exam, you have to read your notes every single second of every day. Your psych test is just as difficult as your biology, chemistry, and stats; if anything it’s a combination of all You never make time for us, this is something very important to me, but I don’t think I can even celebrate tonight because of this little incident with the drink.

Don’t you know the definition of being a friend? A friend is someone who you can rely on, and they can rely on you. Can I rely on you? No, so therefore are you even my friend? It’s a matter of common sense that if you start decorating now, you’ll be done within an hour, so stop complaining.

If you don’t want to help us out at all, fine. I’ll remember that.

Tina:  You know what, I’ll help you guys out. I know that if I was in your shoes, I would want the same from you guys.

I guess I can hold off my studying for another day, I’m in too deep. Just know I’m not writing the signs for the food, my handwriting is chicken scratch.

Just a heads up Bertha, stop eating/drinking anything with dairy or you’ll have to miss out on everything else, and I’ll have to be responsible for decorating all your parties.

 

Bertha: I heard a beauty guru talk about how milk won’t cause me this much pain, if I consumed a moderate amount. Now I know, thank you so much for doing this, it means the entire world to me. I am as happy as a clam!!


The author's comments:

Based on a dialog between Crito and Socrates. Shows how the use rhetoric can enhance an argument.