If only | Teen Ink

If only

By Molly-Mcelroy23 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Molly-Mcelroy23 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

If only

(from Windfall)

Set Instructions: Alice, a 16-year-old girl with blond hair and blue eyes. Alice is wearing a black and white stripped blouse with light wash jeans and a slight tear at the knee. The stage is set with cream colored lockers brushing up against the curtains hiding the people on the other side. Posters are hanging up against the walls on the other side of the lockers. The ceiling is low, and the set is placed in a school. The hallway is narrow with a few people walking threw in the background. Alice and Sawyer are walking from their last class and run into Teddy and Sofia. Teddy, a 16-year-old boy with messy brown hair that is forced to the side is Alice’s best friend. They have been best friends for many years, but Alice greatly wants to be more. Unfortunately, Teddy does not feel the same. Alice’s breath quickens, and she starts to shudder, seeing Teddy with his ex-again. Sofia, a 16-year-old girl that goes to school with Teddy and Alice. The lights shine on Teddy and Sofia. The sounds of lockers and teens immediately pause, and the stage goes silent. Alice steps in front of them and thinks to herself as Teddy and Sofia freeze.

Monologue:

Alice: (thinking to herself) I knew it. I knew people would be chasing after him when he won all this money. What’s the point of even trying to compete with that, that thing. I know I should calm down (turns to the crowd) but hey come on you would be very upset too! Sofia looks like a model that just happened to retake high school! (Takes a step back and faces Teddy again. The lighting moves out and is focused on the four teens, Teddy, Sofia, Alice, and Sawyer. The rushing sounds of closing lockers and loud teens erupt on stage again. Teddy and Sofia unfreeze and continue to talk as Teddy catches eyes with Alice. Once they look at each other as Teddys face darkens.)

Teddy: (with a frown) Who’s that?

Alice: This is Sawyer, he’s in my art class!

Teddy: (notices Sawyer moving closer to Alice) How about you walk to class with me and Sofia?

(Sofia smirks)

Alice: I’m good me and Sawyer are having a fun time together plus we have the same class next.

(Teddys facial expression changes as Sawyers smile brightens. Teddy and Sofia freeze again. The sounds stop and the entire stage goes complexly silent. Alice walks over to Sofia and touches her hair.) I mean look at this hair! Its literally golden! (Touches her hand.) Look at her skin its so tan! Look at her face! She’s so pretty, and her lashes! They are so long and dark. Her body too! She’s so skinny and not too tall or too short. Her eyes are icy blue. She is the closest thing to perfection. (Turns to the crowd as she begins to speak) She’s a typical popular teen with a bright and bubbly personality. Not saying that I am not popular or bubbly, being social just isn’t my thing. Some people like me because I’m quiet, but most gravitate towards more outgoing people. (voice gets higher) Oh and I don’t blame them either, I most definitely do too! (starts to think again) I want to look like her and have her personality. If only that was me, if only he knew, if only. (walks off stage with tears in her eyes)

(lights dem as the curtains close) 

This is a monologue about a moment in the book Windfall. I loved the scene because it really shows The girls (Alice) emotions. It also gives a little insite on how girls think in highschool at our age. I all around love this scene very much.