The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

By alecs-sunflower BRONZE, Crawfordsville, Indiana
alecs-sunflower BRONZE, Crawfordsville, Indiana

INT. A FOOD PACKAGING FACILITY - AFTERNOON
STEVEN, a large, burly man, is standing before a long, gray conveyor belt. He and several other workers are packaging various frozen meats in this room. There is a backpack resting at Steven's feet. He carefully takes a package from the conveyor belt and slips it into the bag. A MANAGER spots him from across the room.
MANAGER
(walking towards Steven)
Ah, so this is why we haven't been making our quotas this month!
STEVEN
Look man, I didn't-
MANAGER
(interrupting him)
Don't even start with me, Mr. Wilson, I saw you do it this time. You're openly stealing from our company!
STEVEN
(yelling)
I didn't do nothin', man!
Now the whole room has turned to look at this incident.
MANAGER
Open your bag, Steven.
STEVEN
What?
MANAGER
(getting in his face)
Open. Your. Bag.
Steven slowly reaches down for his bag. He suddenly grabs it and swings it at the manager's face, knocking him to the ground. Steven climbs on top of him and begins punching him. Several other workers rush to the scene to tear him off.
CUT TO:
INT. A SMALL OFFICE WITHIN THE FACILITY - MOMENTS LATER
Steven is sitting in front of a desk. The facility's DIRECTOR is behind the desk, tapping his finger on the wood. Steven's head hangs low. The director slides Steven a pink slip. Steven looks up at the director.
DIRECTOR
We're unfortunately letting you go, Steven.
STEVEN
Would it do much now to say that I formally apologize, sir?
DIRECTOR
Steven, you're just lucky that your floor's manager decided not to press charges.
Steven nods, somber.
DIRECTOR
Now then, we will be sending your last paycheck to your bank account by the end of the week.
STEVEN
(scoffing)
Yeah, as if that's gonna do much good anyway.
DIRECTOR
I beg your pardon?
STEVEN
With all due respect sir, the pay here is kinda bad anyway.
DIRECTOR
Excuse me?
STEVEN
You pay minimum wage. That's barely livable for one person, let alone a father and his kid.
The director's brows raise.
STEVEN
Yeah, you didn't know I was a dad. Why would you? You don't care about any of us. 
I bet the only reason you even know my name is because your little team of goons has been trying to catch me stealing. Ever wonder why I steal from this place? To feed my little girl a decent dinner every now and then. Normally she takes food home from her school lunches. And that makes you feel like you've failed as a dad, y'know?
The director clears his throat. Steven takes the pink slip, stands, and starts out of the room.
DIRECTOR
Steven-
STEVEN
Nah, save it. I gave up six years of my life for this stupid place. You live with the fact that you're just making mine and hundreds of other guys' lives that much harder.
He exits.
INT. A SMALL APARTMENT - LATER
Steven enters his apartment. His daughter isn't home yet. He looks at the toys scattered around the living area. Several of them are old and worn. Some of them are the same toys that Steven's daughter had as a toddler.
Steven begins to pick the toys up, cleaning the apartment before the babysitter arrives from taking Steven's daughter home from school. After the living area's floor is cleared of toys, Steven begins vacuuming. The hum of the aforementioned vacuum is the only thing breaking the silence.
After a few moments, Steven lays down on the couch, exhausted. He falls asleep.
INT. A SMALL APARTMENT - EVENING
The door of the apartment opens. Steven is still asleep. His five-year-old daughter, JASMINE, and her babysitter, SARAH enter. Jasmine sees her father and runs to him immediately.
JASMINE
(cheering)
Daddy!
She jumps onto the couch and lands beside him. Steven shifts, but doesn't wake.
JASMINE
Daddy, wake up!
He shifts again, this time opening his eyes. He opens his arms for a hug.
STEVEN
(groggily)
Hey, Jazz how's it goin'? How was school?
JASMINE
It was fun, we counted bears!
STEVEN
Oh, Jazz that's so cool! Can you show me on your fingers?
Jasmine nods.
JASMINE
(counting on her fingers)
Yeah, one, two, four-
STEVEN
(gently)
Three, Jazzy.
JASMINE
Three, four, fff...
STEVEN
Five.
Jasmine nods.
JASMINE
Uh-huh, six, seven, eight, nine, ten! Ready or not, here I come!
Steven claps and cheers.
STEVEN
Yeah, good job Jazzy! I'm so proud of you!
Jasmine giggles and runs to her room to find her toys. Sarah approaches Steven.
SARAH
You're home early today.
STEVEN
Yeah, sorry, I shoulda called. I, er, got laid off today.
SARAH
WHAT? Then how are you gonna take care of Jasmine?
STEVEN
I know, I know. I'm gonna work on getting another job tomorrow. And they're not gonna send in my paycheck for another couple days. Is it alright if I give you half today?
SARAH
Mr. Wilson, you always only pay half upfront, it's fine. Besides, I wasn't with Jazz for the full five hours today, don't worry about it. Just the sixteen for one hour is fine.
Steven stands up and finds his wallet on the kitchen counter. All that's in it is a ten dollar bill. He turns to Sarah and smiles sheepishly.
SARAH
It's fine. Just add it to the next pay. And please, look for another job soon for Jazz's sake.
Steven nods. Sarah picks up her bag and starts for the door. Before leaving, Steven stops her.
STEVEN
Sarah, since I won't be working for a while, you can take the next few days off. I'll call you when I've got an offer.
SARAH
(nodding, genuinely)
I hope you get back on your feet soon, Mr. Wilson.
She exits.
INT. A SMALL APARTMENT - MORNING
Steven takes the last two eggs out of the refrigerator for Jasmine's breakfast. 
He puts them into a pan and scrambles them. Jasmine waits eagerly, this doesn't happen often. Steven serves her eggs and begins packing her things for her while she eats.
JASMINE
Daddy, do I have to go to school today?
STEVEN
Yes, Jazz, you ask the same question every morning.
JASMINE
I know... I just wanna stay with you today.
STEVEN
Well Jazzy I'm sorry, I have to go look for a job today. Now remember to bring some lunch home tonight for your dinner, okay?
Jasmine hangs her head sadly, ashamed, almost.
JASMINE
Okay, Daddy.
After packing Jasmine's bag, Steven makes his way to his bedroom. If he is to go job hunting, he figures he should take his pistol with him, just in case.
EXT. OUTSIDE AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - LATER
Steven walks Jasmine to the door. She squeezes his large hand when she spots two other little girls.
Steven kneels before her.
STEVEN
You have a good day today, alright Jazz? Be nice to people, and mind your teacher. I love you.
He and Jasmine embrace.
JASMINE
I love you too, Daddy.
She starts toward the door. The two girls begin to point and giggle at her. Steven doesn't notice this, as he has already turned around.
He takes his phone out of his pocket and calls Sarah.
STEVEN
Hey, Sarah, I know I told you you get the next few days off, but I'm looking for a job today. It might take me past Jasmine's school time, do you think you could come pick her up and take her home anyway?
Beat.
STEVEN
Great, thanks so much, Sarah.
Steven sets off to look for a job in sweatpants, a hoodie, and a stained tee-shirt. He's not going to have any luck.
INT. A QUIET BAR - NIGHT
Steven sits on a barstool. There is a TV on the wall across from him. On it, a movie shows a robbery. A thug robs a man at gunpoint and gets over $500 off of him.
Steven watches intently. After a moment, he gets up and walks to the bathroom. He takes his pistol out of his hoodie pocket and looks at it. His hands begin to shake. He gulps.
And he exits.
EXT. AN ALLEYWAY IN CHICAGO - LATER
Steven has concealed his pistol in his hoodie pocket again. He stands outside the alleyway, waiting for someone to cut through there to get home.
A MAN finally passes into the alleyway. He is wearing a classy suit and carrying a briefcase. Steven follows him and presses the gun to the back of his head.
STEVEN
(attempting to sound tough)
Listen buddy, this doesn't have to be difficult. Just give me your money and we'll call it a day, alright?
MAN
(frightened)
I don't got any money mister. Honest.
STEVEN
(laughing)
Nah buddy, I know you got money. Wouldn't be wearin' that nice suit if you didn't.
The man, raising his hands, drops his briefcase.
STEVEN
Come on now. Don't make me hurt you.
The man complies, shaking. Steven takes the man's wallet and pockets it. He starts out of the alleyway, away from the man.
STEVEN
(sincerely)
Sorry, buddy. I got a little girl at home. Jobs like yours ain't so easy to come by.
INT./EXT. A 7-ELEVEN CORNER STORE - MOMENTS LATER
Steven counts the money in the man's wallet. $218 in cash. He walks into the store, composing himself. He buys frozen toaster pastries, hazelnut spread, bananas, a half-gallon of chocolate milk, hamburger and hot dog buns, raw ground beef, hot dogs, and frozen chicken patties.
He greets the woman behind the counter inaudibly, and makes his purchase. The total comes out to $46. He still has $172 left.
Steven leaves the store and begins walking home.
INT. A SMALL APARTMENT - MOMENTS LATER
Steven unlocks the door to his apartment and walks in. Jasmine and Sarah are playing with Jasmine's toys in the living area. Jasmine runs to Steven as the door opens.
JASMINE
Daddy's home!
STEVEN
(kneeling to hug her)
Hey, Jazzy! How was school, baby?
JASMINE
It was OK, but some meanies made fun of me for taking food from lunch home.
STEVEN
I'm sorry, Jazz. I'll tell you what. For the next few weeks, you won't have to take any food home. I got some extra right here.
Jasmine jumps up and down joyously.
JASMINE
YAAAAY!
Steven rises to meet Jasmine's babysitter. He opens the wallet, counts out $80, and hands it to her.
SARAH
What's this? You never pay the full amount upfront. I thought you got laid off.
STEVEN
Came into some extra money recently.
Sarah gives him a strange look, like he had done something wrong.
STEVEN
Don't worry about it. Just be glad I could pay the full thing early.
Beat.
SARAH
Well, thanks Mr. Wilson.
STEVEN
No prob, Sarah. Now got ahead and get on home. It's dark out. You don't know what kinda nut jobs will try to take that pay from you.
Sarah begins to leave. She is halfway down the hallway when Steven leans out the door and calls to her-
STEVEN
You got a knife?
SARAH
Yeah.
STEVEN
Good, good. Make sure you know how to use that thing. It could save your life.
Steven closes the door and turns to face Jasmine. She is playing with her toys on the floor.
STEVEN
(sitting down on the couch)
Jazzy, come here.
She joins him on the couch. Steven puts his arm around her.
STEVEN
Jazzy, lemme tell you something. Your daddy had to do some bad today. And I'm real sorry I did, but it was for your own good, alright?
JASMINE
What happened?
STEVEN
Jazz, exactly what I did doesn't matter right now. I'll tell you when you're older, okay?
Jasmine nods.
STEVEN
Good. Jazz, have you ever taken anything from somebody and not given it back?
JASMINE
(shaking her head no)
Mm-mm.
STEVEN
Good, Jazzy, good. Keep it that way, okay? That's the start of somethin' awful. You think you can have everything you want at that point. It'll getcha into trouble. Don't ever take something from someone just because you want it, okay?
JASMINE
Okay, Daddy.
STEVEN
Good. I love you, baby.
JASMINE
I love you too, Daddy.
STEVEN
And I'mma make you proud. Now, howsabout I make you some dinner?
FADE OUT.

This was originally a short story that I was given with the prompt, "he twisted his fate between his fingers..." as the opening line. Originally, this story consisted of only the robbery itself and the scenes following. I've expanded upon this story over a couple months.