Wasting | Teen Ink

Wasting

April 15, 2012
By FriendOfTheAcorns SILVER, Hawthorne, California
FriendOfTheAcorns SILVER, Hawthorne, California
6 articles 1 photo 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Not much of a quotes person, but "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!" gets me every time.


Fade in:

In a dark bedroom, a girl, aged somewhere between 16-18, is sitting at a computer. The only illumination from the room is the greenish-light from the computer and a fluorescent desk light. The room is messy with ripped up magazines that cover the dirty floor as well as an assortment of broken things. It seems old and untouched for years, except for the presence of the girl. Rotting food surrounds the desk, and there are flies buzzing around them.

The sound of clicking from a mouse can be heard, but no typing.

The girl has long, unkempt, black hair that has grown to the ground. Her face is pallid, and her skeletal face only continues to stare at the computer screen. She does not even blink. It is almost as if she was dead.

The girl continues to click away at uneven intervals, when there is a loud banging of the door.

The girl does not notice at all, and continues to stare at the computer. The banging becomes louder, as does the buzzing of the flies. A woman screams, “Come out! Come out!”

But she does not move again, only clicking away.

The lights from the computer change, and begin to dance around the room, brightening up the scene behind her. There are pictures with frames now home to spider webs, and grimy plaques that we cannot discern. A grimy picture of the girl hangs above the bed: a smiling diploma-holder with ear-length black hair and a tinkling smile who bears semblance to the morbid figure at the desk and a woman beside her, whose face has been blacked out.

A final loud bang at the door, and then a cry from outside.

The girl never notices. She only continues to waste away.
Fade out.


The author's comments:
It is open to interpretation.

Written in 2009