The Perfect Summer | Teen Ink

The Perfect Summer

By Emmily SILVER, Covington, Louisiana
Emmily SILVER, Covington, Louisiana

The Perfect Summer

Character List:

AUBREY - main character, Sarah Beth's best friend, lives in Florida, long blonde wavy hair, tan

SARAH BETH - important character, Aubrey's best friend, also lives in Florida, long blonde straight hair, tan

CALEB - important character, Braxton's best friend, from North Carolina, knows Aubrey and Sarah Beth from camp, straight brown hair, tan

BRAXTON - important character, Caleb's best friend, also from North Carolina, knows Aubrey and Sarah Beth from camp, dirty blonde messy hair, tan

MRS. HEATHER - Sarah Beth's mom

MR. KENT - Sarah Beth's dad

MRS. MICHELLE - Aubrey's mom

LIFEGUARD - helps Aubrey

INT. AUBREY'S ROOM - EVENING

AUBREY writing in her diary.

AUBREY reads from her diary (v.o.)

It all began with summer camp in Arkansas a long time ago. Me and Sarah Beth met two guys our age on the first day...Caleb and Braxton. They were the "cool kids" at camp, always hitting on the girls and showing off. They were really competitive... and so were we. And, well, that's how our big rivalry started between the four of us. It went back and forth. They would beat us, we would beat them. It got to the point where we were almost like enemies. We only competed...And that had been how we spent the week of camp every summer for the past six years. They weren't there last year, though. I think I remember someone told me they had a soccer tournament that they couldn't miss. But anyway, me and Sarah Beth could not stand them.

Then one day, just an ordinary day in our little seaside town in Florida, we saw them.

EXT. OUTSIDE OF YOGA STUDIO - EARLY MORNING

AUBREY and SARAH BETH walk down the stairs, leaving their yoga class, holding water bottles and yoga mats.

SARAH BETH
(shocked)
Aubrey! Oh my gosh! Look over at the pier! Look who it is!

AUBREY
(also in shock)
No. Way. Caleb and Braxton! What are they doing here?

SARAH BETH
I don't know. But we better leave before they see us! C'mon let's go get some breakfast at my house. I think my mom was going to get some fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice from Mr. Ty's stand earlier.

AUBREY and SARAH BETH get on bikes and ride home.

AUBREY
Ooo, that sounds really good right now. Man, today's class was a lot harder than usual.

SARAH BETH
Yeah, it was... What if we run into them at the beach today?

AUBREY
Well, I guess we'll see what happens. I mean...maybe they've changed. But that's a long shot.

EXT. SARAH BETH'S HOUSE - MORNING

AUBREY and SARAH BETH sit outside on the back porch eating their breakfast. Sarah Beth's mom joins them. A few minutes later her dad comes out too.

MRS. HEATHER
(smiling)
It's good to see y'all up before noon.

AUBREY
(eating a slice of watermelon)
Mornin' Mrs. Heather!

SARAH BETH
(drinking orange juice)
Hey mom.

MRS. HEATHER
I saw your old friend Callie down by the beach about an hour ago. She said she just got a job at the new restaurant by the pier...Maybe you girls could work there too! It'd be fun!

SARAH BETH
Ehh...I don't know. We'll go eat lunch down there later and see.

MR. KENT
Hey girls. How was yoga?

SARAH BETH
Tiring. A little harder than it normally is, but it was a good workout.

MR. KENT
Well, that's good..Hey, the weather's supposed to be really nice this weekend. Great for sailing.

SARAH BETH
Yeah we'll probably go in a few days. But we're gonna walk down to the beach right now.

MRS. HEATHER
Okay, y'all have fun. Don't stay out too late, though. Aubrey's parents invited us over for dinner tonight at 6:00.

SARAH BETH
Ok, bye!

AUBREY
Bye, Mrs. Heather! Bye Mr. Kent! Thanks for breakfast!

MRS. HEATHER
No problem, honey.

EXT. BEACH - AROUND NOON

AUBREY and SARAH BETH are getting some sun, listening to music, and reading books on the beach.

AUBREY
(looking towards the ocean)
Here we go again. That's them out in the water surfing.

SARAH BETH
What?! Why are they even here?....Oh no. They see us.

AUBREY
(aggravated)
Great, they're coming over here..Let's just see what they're up to.

CALEB
(cocky)
Saw y'all watching us. I'm a pretty good surfer, huh?

BRAXTON
What's up guys? Do y'all live here?

AUBREY
Uhh, yeah. Why are y'all here?

BRAXTON
My parents just bought a beach house on the other side of town a couple months ago.

AUBREY
Oh.

SARAH BETH
(whispering under her breath, relieved)
Whew, good thing it's not by us.

CALEB
Yeah, I wanna live here. It's so chill.

BRAXTON
Well, we get to live here for a month. We just gotta enjoy it while we can.
....So Sarah Beth, ya want me to teach you how to surf?

SARAH BETH
(sassy)
Umm no, we don't like each other. Remember?

BRAXTON
Whoa. I know we've always been competitive, but I thought maybe we could at least try to be friends. I mean, me and Caleb are gonna be here for a month, and y'all are the only people we know.

AUBREY
So let's talk.
Y'all think you've changed since camp?

CALEB
Yeah, actually. We weren't there last year because of soccer. And it's been two years since we've seen y'all. Trust me. There's a big difference between being a Freshmen and a Junior. A lot can happen.

SARAH BETH
Okay I guess that's fair.

CALEB
C'mon let's all go surf.

AUBREY
(slightly annoyed)
Kay.

EXT. IN THE GULF - LATE AFTERNOON

AUBREY, CALEB, BRAXTON, and SARAH BETH all paddle out and go surfing.

AUBREY
(smirking)
Caleb, Braxton, Sarah Beth! Anyone up for a little friendly competition? Who can catch the best wave and stick with it the longest?!

CALEB
I'm in!

BRAXTON
(acting cool)
Bet I could beat everyone, easy!

SARAH BETH
It's on!

AUBREY reads from her diary (v.o.)

...Of course, Caleb and Braxton were showing off, riding the small waves in, doing tricks on their boards. Sarah Beth was waiting for the right wave to come, and so was I...Finally, I saw it. I swam out pretty far, seeing a big wave I knew I could reach in time. Then, seconds later I was riding the biggest wave of my life! Everyone was staring in shock watching me ride the massive wave. And then, they all started cheering! I felt like I was on top of the world. But not even a minute after that, I lost my balance and fell. The next thing I remembered was waking up laying down on the beach.

CALEB
(terrified)
Aubrey!!!

SARAH BETH
(worried)
Aubrey!!

BRAXTON
(nervous)
I think she hit her head! She needs help!

CALEB swims over as fast as he can towards AUBREY's board, just floating in the water. He dives under, looking for her. He sees that her ankle is still attached to the strap of the surfboard, but she is just dangling there underwater, unconscious.

CALEB pulls her up onto his surfboard and quickly swims toward the shore, also pulling her board behind them.

SARAH BETH and BRAXTON help CALEB the rest of the way to the beach and lay AUBREY on her board. They all surround her, trying to wake her up.

SARAH BETH
(crying)
She's been unconscious too long!!

The LIFEGUARD sees all the commotion from way down the beach and runs over to help.

LIFEGUARD
(out of breath)
What happened? How long's she been out?

SARAH BETH
(still crying)
She was surfing farther out than usual, and I think she slipped, and the board hit her from the impact of the wave. But she's been unconscious for a few minutes!

LIFEGUARD
Okay, if y'all could please just give her some space.

The LIFEGUARD checks her to make sure everything is alright, and she slowly starts to open her eyes.

LIFEGUARD
It looks like she's just going to have a big bruise. But I'm going to make sure she sees a doctor with a parent first.

SARAH BETH
(relieved)
Thank God. I'll go call her mom and tell her to come out here.

LIFEGUARD
I'll wait over by the pier for her. What's the mother's name?

SARAH BETH
Michelle.

LIFEGUARD
Okay, thanks.

SARAH BETH and BRAXTON walk a little ways down the beach to call MRS. MICHELLE. BRAXTON tries to calm down SARAH BETH. The LIFEGUARD starts making his way toward the pier. AUBREY and CALEB are left sitting alone for a few minutes.

AUBREY
(confused)
What's going on? Why? Where's Sarah Be....?

CALEB
(comforting)
Shhh. It's gonna be ok. Sarah Beth's on the phone with your mom right now and Braxton's with her...You fell off your board surfing and hit your head really hard. It knocked ya out for a couple minutes, but you're fine. Just stay here, for now. Your mom's on her way.

AUBREY
(whispering softly)
Okay. My head hurts a little.

CALEB
It probably will for a few days, but we can get you some medicine to help with the pain...Aubrey, I've never seen anyone ride a wave that big before! That was amazing!

AUBREY
Ha, yeah, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt..But that was the best wave I've ever ridden.

CALEB
Hey, ya gotta go for it when you get the chance. You just had some bad luck afterwards. That's all...

AUBREY
(blushing)
Thanks for being here for me Caleb. I know we haven't always gotten along at camp, and I know I haven't exactly been the nicest person today, but I honestly think that you have changed..And it's a good kinda change. I like it.

CALEB
(smiling)
Well, I'm glad to hear that.

CALEB puts his arm around AUBREY, and they just silently gaze at the water.

EXT. PIER - EVENING

AUBREY and her mom meet up with the LIFEGUARD by the pier.

Aubrey Diary (v.o.)
My mom came, and she was really worried about me, like I knew she would be. Asking a million questions and checking on me every five seconds.

AUBREY
Mom, I'm fine. I guess just take me to the doctor tomorrow for a checkup, and then we can be done with all this.

MICHELLE
Aubrey, we have to make sure you're okay. I'll call the doctor's office when we get home to make an appointment.

AUBREY
Okay.

INT. AUBREY'S ROOM - EARLY NIGHT

SARAH BETH goes to AUBREY'S house later that night and explains to her everything that happened in detail.

SARAH BETH
Yeah, as soon as we realized you weren't coming back up, Caleb was headed your way as fast as he could. I think me and Braxton were still a little in shock that we just screamed. And he reached you so quickly, and got you up on his board so carefully. Aubrey, if only you could've seen it. I know this sounds stupid....but he's like your hero. And then the way he stayed by your side the whole time. And Braxton came with me to call your mom. I was crying so hard, and he just calmed me down, telling me everything was going to be alright and that you'd be fine. I mean, I don't know about you, but I really like them. I think we're all gonna be good friends.

AUBREY
(smiling)
When Caleb was talking to me when I woke up, he was really sweet. He told me how he'd never seen anybody ride a wave like that before and how he was glad that I'm okay...I feel the same way about them. I say we invite them to lunch at that new restaurant tomorrow. Then we can all go sailing!

SARAH BETH
(excited)
Yeah! We can go find their house in the morning after you go to the doctor.

SARAH BETH gets up to leave AUBREY'S house, but AUBREY stops her for a second.

AUBREY
(laughing)
Dibs on Caleb though...! Hahaha.

SARAH BETH
(smiling)
Kinda figured that. Haha! Deal! I got Braxton!!

EXT. SARAH BETH'S HOUSE - LATE MORNING

AUBREY opens the gate on the little fence in SARAH BETH'S yard, walks to her big, slightly open window, and starts knocking.

AUBREY
(eager)
Sarah Beth, wake up! Come on! Rise and shine Sarah Bear!

INT. SARAH BETH'S ROOM - LATE MORNING

AUBREY slides the window open and climbs inside her room. SARAH BETH gets ready for the day.

SARAH BETH
(half asleep)
Okay, okay I'm coming. I'm up. Give me two minutes...How was the doctor?

AUBREY
It was fine. She said I had a minor concussion and that I just need to take it easy for a few weeks.

SARAH BETH
Well, that's good to hear. I was really worried. And I know the guys are too..

AUBREY
Okay well when we find them, we can tell them that everything's alright. You ready?!

SARAH BETH
Yeah, let's go.

EXT. STREET - LUNCHTIME

AUBREY and SARAH BETH walk to the other side of town trying to find BRAXTON'S beach house.

AUBREY
(pointing to the right)
You think that's it?

SARAH BETH
Umm, I don't know! I saw a couple of the houses down this street, and the one after it that had for sale signs up within the last few months. Maybe they bought one of them.

The girls continue on to the next street and see the boys outside playing soccer in their front yard. The girls run over and join the game.

CALEB
(surprised)
Hahaha! Braxton! Over here, I'm open! I'm open!!

AUBREY
(running with the ball)
Oh no, you're not! Sarah Beth, go to the goal!

BRAXTON
(picking up Sarah Beth)
Watch your back! Haha, we've got you covered Aubrey!

SARAH BETH
Hey!

CALEB
(looking over at Aubrey)
You're next!

AUBREY runs to the goal, and she scores.

AUBREY
(screaming)
Wooooo! Yeahhh!

AUBREY runs over to SARAH BETH and high-fives her. Then, CALEB runs over to AUBREY, grabs her waist, and swings her around.

AUBREY
(giggling)
Hahaha, hey, watch it. I almost forgot, I gotta take it easy after what happened yesterday.

CALEB
Oh, yeah. I forgot too...what'd the doctor say?

AUBREY
To basically not do what I'm doing right now...apparently I had a small concussion, but I'll be fine.

CALEB
Whew, I'm glad you're alright.

AUBREY
Thanks...so did ya'll eat lunch yet?

BRAXTON
No, we were hoping we'd run into ya'll again.

SARAH BETH
Haha, we were going to eat at the new restaurant by the pier. Come with us!

BRAXTON
Okay!

CALEB
I'm gonna run inside and get some money. I'll catch up with ya'll in a minute!

AUBREY
(looking towards Caleb and then at Braxton and Sarah Beth)
I'll wait for you. Ya'll go ahead and get a table.

BRAXTON and SARAH BETH leave to go get a table at the restaurant. CALEB and AUBREY stay back and get some money. Then, they start walking towards the pier.

CALEB
So...you and Sarah Beth. Ya'll seem really close.

AUBREY
Ha, yeah. We're like sisters. I mean we've known each other since we were little. Grew up down the street from her...best friends ever since.

CALEB
That must be nice..always having a friend right there...Braxton lives forty-five minutes from me, so it's kind of hard to hangout with him. But I'm happy I got to come with him here..and that we found y'all.

AUBREY
(smiling)
Well, ya got four whole weeks! Don't worry, it'll be fun! I love it here. We can go out on the boat later if you want.

CALEB
(grinning)
Yeah! I'd love to!

EXT. THE BAY - LATE AFTERNOON

AUBREY, SARAH BETH, BRAXTON, and CALEB are all sailing in AUBREY'S boat in the open water.

AUBREY reads from her diary (v.o.)
....So we eventually got to the restaurant. We laughed about old camp stories the whole time. Then, we went sailing. It was a gorgeous day...one that I will never forget. Me and Caleb talked for what seemed like hours. Past relationships, school, summer....anything, really.

EXT. THE BEACH - EVENING

Everyone is hanging out on the beach around a small fire.

AUBREY reads from her diary (v.o.)

We got back just before the sun set. The guys made a little fire on the beach...I sat by Caleb and Sarah Beth sat by Braxton. I leaned in toward Caleb and put my head on his shoulder. We just laid there without talking for a while, content in the quiet, salty air.

The next couple of weeks were unforgettable. All of us went swimming in the bay one afternoon. Another day, we all went fishing on the pier. We spent every second we possibly could together. Me and Sarah Beth would stay out late and hangout with the guys almost every night. We learned that they could play guitar, and that we needed a lot of work on the ukelele..haha. Caleb and Braxton found out my major fear of spiders, too. That wasn't exactly a fun day for me...But it's okay because Caleb saved me from it..And just in those few short weeks that we spent together, I realized that we were meant for each other. Our personalities fit perfectly. We still had our competitive sides, but it was definitely more fun than seriousness.

EXT. DOWNTOWN - EARLY NIGHT

AUBREY and CALEB eat dinner at a fancy restaurant, and then they go on a walk through the town.

AUBREY reads from her diary (v.o.)

On my birthday, Caleb took me to dinner at a really nice restaurant downtown. And then, he officially asked me to be his girlfriend. We were walking through the streets holding hands, and he stopped me.

CALEB
(grinning)
I got somethin' for ya.

CALEB pulls out a necklace with a shell on it. AUBREY moves her hair out of the way, and he puts it around her neck.

AUBREY
(gasps)
It's beautiful. I love it! Thank you.

CALEB
(hugging Aubrey)
No, you're beautiful, Aubrey. You deserve it.

CALEB brushes her long blonde hair away from her face and kisses her on the forehead.

CALEB
(looking into Aubrey's eyes)
Summer with you....spending my summer with you is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I know I leave in a few days, but I had to ask you...Aubrey, will you be my girlfriend?

AUBREY
(smiling from ear to ear)
Of course I will, Caleb!

AUBREY leans in and kisses CALEB.

AUBREY
(excited)
Hey, you know...we still have camp!