Waiting At The Bus Stop | Teen Ink

Waiting At The Bus Stop

May 29, 2015
By Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
Lady_Lemon GOLD, Franklin, Wisconsin
11 articles 1 photo 43 comments

Quinn approaches the bus stop from side stage, moves to stand next to Nicole. She doesn’t recognize her at first, but in a moment it sets in. Nicole is feverishly devouring a cheeseburger.

Quinn: Nicole! Hey what’s.. uh.. up?

Nicole: *between ravenous chewing* Nothin’, jus’ wai-ing fo the bus.

Quinn: Cool, cool. *looks around awkwardly, anywhere but Nicole* Whatcha got there?

Nicole: Jus’ a eeseburgaa ‘rom Mickey D’s.

Quinn: So… I guess you uh… You still drinking those vegan protein shakes?

Nicole: *shakes her head no, still eating* Naw, I’m ‘un wi’ ‘at ‘uff. ‘Eal meat’s where it’s at.

Quinn: Eel meat? *horrified *

Nicole: *clears her throat and dabs her mouth with the sleeve of her sweatshirt* Real meat. Ya know, the kind that comes from cows an’ pigs an’ stuff.

Quinn: Uh huh. So I guess you stopped with the whole vegetarian thing then?

Nicole: Yeah I dunno, I just woke up this morning and I needed something with sustenance, ya know? Something… I dunno.

Quinn: Well, uh, okay then.

The sound of a bus pulling up startles them, Quinn starts moving off stage.

Quinn: This is my bus

Nicole: *waves her away while resuming her feast*

Quinn: *walks completely off stage leaving Nicole alone with her cheeseburger*

The lights fade to black and Nicole is heard chomping away.


The author's comments:

We were told to write about waiting at a bus stop with someone you know who's acting uncharacteristically.