Invisible | Teen Ink

Invisible

August 6, 2018
By Anonymous

I lived in the house alone for the last few months after my family left in March.  They never told me when or why they were leaving, 1 day they just got up and left. We never had any neighbours, and no one ever visited, meaning that I wasn’t used to company. So, when they moved in I had to train myself fast.

In late July, the new family intruded my house. There were 3 children (2 boys and a girl) as well as whom I assumed to be their father and mother. They took over the house, screaming and shouting- ignoring me. Not that it bothered me, I was used to everyone ignoring me, especially in the supermarket.  

All my visits to the supermarket so far have been free. Whenever I approach the till the cashier always ignores me. I don’t know why they do this, I mean it’s their money their missing out on. I never understood why everyone treated me as if I were invisible, I looked at myself in the mirror every night and I hadn’t disappeared.

The good thing was that everyday the children were sent to school and the parents went to work, which left me plenty of free time, alone. Usually in the free time I would make myself something to eat or drink, but ever since my family left, my appetite subsided -so suddenly- leaving me eating almost nothing every day.

It was when they came home, that Thursday afternoon, when everything made sense to me. I realised that the family forgot to take the keys to work that morning, so I opened the door for them, but instead of hearing a thank you or another form of gratitude, the eldest son said, “Mum, you must have forgot to lock the door this morning.”

“Dear me, I must be more careful next time. Who knows what could have happened?” the mother replied as she walked into the house.

I knew this wasn’t true, so I tried telling them that it was me who had opened the door for them, but of course they ignored me. To get her attention I tried patting her shoulder, but it didn’t make any difference through the thick coat she was wearing. I went over to the youngest, the little girl and for the first time in who knows how many years, I had been noticed.

“Mummy, who is that strange girl over there. She looks pale. Maybe she’s sick,” the girl said.

“What strange girl darling, there’s no one here you must be making it up,” the mother replied.

“No, I’m not. Look she’s there, next to the window.”

Then the mother walked over to where I was standing, she held out her arm. I’d never touched another human for a long time before then. I was ecstatic, so I took her hand and shook it as hard as I could.

“There’s definitely no one here- although my hand does feel very cold and its shaking uncontrollably. Maybe I’m getting a fever.”

That’s when the other boy prodded me with one of his small, chubby fingers, but much to my horror his finger went straight though my shoulder.

Ever since then, there was no point interacting with anyone. I understood what had happened to me all those months ago, everything was linking together like a huge jigsaw puzzle. It became clear as to why everyone would ignore me, and only young children had the talent to see me. I had enough, spending my time in this state- so here I am now in a place faraway to any humans, a place where everyone maybe invisible but will never be treated as invisible again.