Terror | Teen Ink

Terror

By Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania

Hi, my name is Sabrina Lorenzi and I am a senior in high school. Today I am going to tell you the creepiest thing that ever happened to me so that if it happens to you, you’ll be somewhat prepared.

Two years earlier...

My day started out normally, with me getting up and leaving for school. My parents were already at work, so I left the house and turned to lock the door behind me. As I turned, I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye, like someone was watching me. I whipped around, but no one was there.

The same thing happened all day. When I walked into school, I saw a shadow behind a column outside. My friends and I ate lunch outside, and I saw two shadows around the corner of the building. During stage crew after school, I saw lots of shadows and I heard weird noises. I’ve never heard them before, like ever, and I’ve been on stage crew since I was a freshman.

I walked home quickly, thanking my lucky stars I only lived three blocks away from school. I saw so many shadows that I got nervous and started running home. I swear I heard footsteps behind me on the pavement. I ran inside my house and dropped my bookbag, locking and deadbolting the door. I flew up the stairs to my room and shut the door. I collapsed against the far wall and cowered against my bed.

I lost track of time as I attempted to calm myself down. Why was I afraid of shadows? They are harmless! It was probably just my imagination. Why else would people follow me all day? It was probably just my imagination.

I had almost convinced myself that there was no reason for me to be afraid when I heard someone come in through the front door. I tried to convince myself that it was my mother, but then I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. They pattered down the hallway and stopped at my door. Then I heard them knocking, thunk thunk thunk. “Mom?” I called out nervously.

They didn’t answer, but instead opened the door. Their shadow was cast across my darkened room by the bright hallway light. I stood up, reminding myself that it was just my mom, just my mom. I was trembling slightly from fear, but I still lifted my gaze to the doorway. What I saw standing there scared me so bad that I can't even remember, much less describe, what it looks like. I was so scared I can’t even express the gut-wrenching terror, the deathly horror that I felt in that moment. I opened my mouth to scream but no sound came out. Another shadow grabbed my from behind and covered my mouth to muffle any sound I might make. I was so terrified I couldn't even struggle with my captor. Then they hit me over the head, and I felt them dragging me from the house as my vision faded to black.

I woke up the next morning in my own bed. I wondered if it had all been a dream. I sat up and my head was sore. Did I fall out of bed or was it from being hit over the head? My heart was beating fast. Was it from a nightmare, or what happened last night? Did it even happen?

I was so confused. I sat up in bed, trying to figure it out, and then I felt something stiff in my shirt pocket. It was a note written on a piece of plain blue cardstock. I examined it closely, wondering how it got in my pocket. My name was written on one side, so I turned it over to see the other side. On it was a sketch of a black diamond and the words “We will return. We are always watching.” My hands shook.

Now, two years later, they have not yet followed through with their words.

This is one of those weird things that happen to you, and you're not sure if they actually happened. I've had things like this happen, but unlike Sabrina, I've never learned if it truly happened or not.

@QueenOfTheWorld thank you so much!

@QueenOfTheWorld thank you so much!

QueenOfTheWorld SILVER, Joplin, Missouri

"One should never save cake for later when it can be eaten now"
Winter, The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

This is awesome. Keep on writing!

@apeeke Thank you so much for your comment. You have made my day!

apeeke BRONZE said...
apeeke BRONZE, Hammonton, New Jersey
Amazing. I love this story. Never stop writing