Dull Carpet, Not Always so Dull | Teen Ink

Dull Carpet, Not Always so Dull

June 18, 2019
By cbwriting BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
cbwriting BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Cold. That's all I could think about. The cold classroom where no jacket was enough armor to protect me from the warlike factors. The chill of the ice-cold seat and desk raised the hair on the back of my neck. It felt like the tundra, where no one is a survivor. It seemed also the students were frozen, frozen in time all in a coma-like state. Waiting for the sweet release from the chimes from the overhead. Few were responsive making dumb comments in hope of a =laugh. As if the classroom was open mic night at a comedy club. I too felt as if I was in a coma. Nothing to respond to, nor a way to reply. Just sitting there basically dead. I thought to myself  being dead is probably the better option of the two, with a coma, you're just essentially in your own purgatory on earth.

The notes flashed on the screen as I scribbled with my pen the information on my page. Not retaining any of the knowledge I looked around the dark classroom. Posters of World War II hang throughout. Images of bloody battles, tanks, and the deathly dictators of that time.

My teacher, Mr. Allen exclaims, “Class we will be starting the Warring states project. Within this, you will be creating a team and competing with others for the power and land of Asia.”

All eyes shift around. Students wondering who they want to build a fake army with. The whispers start to increase; the pointing and hand gestures make it seem like we are in an ASL class. The project bores me. I see no point in this class or any of my classes for that matter. I didn’t think much of school. Just a thing you had to get over like a dentist appointment.

My brain starts to wonder, wonder about anything other than school. The hope of a nice cold winter and playing in the snow. Want of an abundant amount of snow days that let us miss school. The concrete hard roads that would be covered in a thin layer of soft snow causing kids to be excited about sledding that overpowers its true danger.

My daydream was quickly interrupted by the screeching printer. As the fresh ink was laid on the warm paper I realized my only option for freedom.

I rose from my seat removing one headphone from my ear and asked the teacher if I could use the restroom; he quickly agreed and I approached my way to the door.


The hallway was dim and repetitive. I took steps starting with my left foot looking around the halls that surrounded me. With each step, the hallway seemed to grow longer. The plain walls had the same pattern of doors on each wall all the way down. It seemed the walk took forever as I was staring down at my feet to avoid seeing into a classroom with a cracked open door. My dirty shoelaces dragging on the dark carpet. A carpet so dull it would belong in the waiting room at the doctors. The carpet countless families would stare at while awaiting the inevitable news. There are few posters defying gravity with the lack of tape holding them up. The attempt of adding some color to the sad hallway students trample through.

My head turns to the left when the repetitive hallway finally stops and the opening for the bathroom is to my side. The once navy plague now a dull and barely read ‘Women’ but the small triangle on the bodies waist informed me I was in the right place. The chilling handle stings my hand as I start to turn the handle down. The door opens towards me.

It was dark as the lights were motion sensors. The three stalls were light grey. Each the same as the other with three hinges and the lack of full privacy. The rest of the bathroom had similar dull coloring. I just waited on my phone to pass the time. I scroll through all my social media’s and became amused enough to a point where I no longer felt brain-dead. I started to get a little too comfortable in public restroom dancing around to the music from my earbuds. Through my music, I start to hear the door open.

With haste, I went into a dreary stall. I wasn’t sure who the other person was but all I could see was their dark pants and shoes. I thought to myself that it might be an administrator or teacher telling me I have to go back to class. I try to continue to look through the crack on the stall but it’s hard to also try to not get caught. Instantly the lights turned off. There's no way a person can stand that still that the motion lights turn off I thought. I wonder if maybe they left but I look down and see a an outline of their leather dress shoes the pair of feet closer than before. I didn’t know what to do, in an almost panic state I moved in hope to retrieve the light in the small public restroom. I was successful with my task, but a new problem arose. The feet of the unknown entity moved even closer and stood in front of the stall I was in.  Toes pointed right at me as if it could see through the stall door.

I call out to the random person, “Hello who is there? Do you need something?”

I waited to see if there was a response. Nothing just the leaky sink to break the silence. I stand there trapped between a wall and a toilet.

I call out again, “Hello I see you, what are you a mute or something? I don’t mean any harm just trying to get out of class.” Nothing else happens. All I see is the shoes pointing right under my stall. They must have been so close we shared breaths. I step back my legs crashing into the toilet seat behind me I scream from the pain. The broken toilet paper holder shakes causing the toilet paper roll starts to fall and roll of the stall.

The lights flickered as I soon started to look around for any way out. I couldn’t think of any idea of who I thought this person was. I had a gut feeling something wasn’t right with them. I think if there is any way to defend my self. Or if there was any way to get out.

The only option was up; I started to climb the stall in hopes of bypassing whoever was out there. I place my creased air force ones on the toilet bowl. Trying to find the best way to stay balanced. I push-off my head above the stall now. It was until my attempt at climbing fell short. Literally, I lost control and slipped. I fall and hit my head on the solid toilet bowl.

A chuckle comes from the stranger as they bust through the door. I can hear my heartbeat in my head blood rushing to the injury. Through all the aching pain I get up, gripping my head the blood flowing out into my hand. I use the walls to help me stand up. I don’t see the stranger in front of me anymore. I peek out a look to the right I see the mirror. In the reflection is the intruder standing towards the wall at an angle. I can't see their face but I know they can see me. The start moving backward towards me rummaging through their pockets. The only thing in my reach was the toilet paper roll. I try to use it as a shield but it is too flimsy. I grab a strand of paper and charge towards them I wrap it around their neck for anything to happen. We really face to face now. Only they have a mask on; one you could get at a Halloween store. It's plastic that was white with, exaggerated eyebrows, checks, and lips. It reminds me of when I saw the purge in sixth grade and the nightmares that followed. The same fear flows throughout me now.

The blood from my head drips slowly down my neck to my back leaving drips across the floor. The attempt to choke the masked person failed. The flimsy half-ply toilet paper broke off instantly. The blood on my hand deteriorated any of the paper that was left. It sticks all over their grey hoodie. Feeling woozy I start to rush to the door. The room was swaying, my feet were crossing over each other, my eyes couldn’t stay open. I reach out for the handle. No longer cold just air. Wait I didn’t reach it. I keep trying to grab it but it feels as if I'm getting further away from each attempt. I try to scream out for help.

Walls around me start to spin. The hole in the ceiling is now all I can see. I start to move my head; I seemed to have fallen to the ground. The door handle dangling above me taunting my escape.

I hear the footsteps of the leather shoes pound through the ground. The mask with a blank stare towers over me. A long polished cylinder is taken out from their pocket. Gripped in their left hand; each finger wrapped around with a firm hold as if it was a snake capturing its food for survival. The last thing I remember was the shriek of a student.


This was definitely one of the weirdest dreams I have had. It all felt so real. Now this dream has me in a hospital bed. The heart monitor is moving at a slow rate. There's one blanket atop me that's knitted. It reminds me of the one my grandma made for my first birthday. The carpet is a dull shade of blue from what I can tell. The walls are plain, only one window with the blinds clothes. It seems there is snow on the ground outside. I can’t believe my dream has snow that I can’t play in.

This has been one of the longest dreams. I keep hearing faint talking from familiar voices. I hope to wake up soon; I need to get another blanket for my bed. I’m starting to feel a chill once again.


The author's comments:

I rewrote this several times. I got the idea from just simply walking to the bathroom from class. It was my first time going to that bathroom and it freaked me out I got back to class and starting writting. It just shows how inspiration is all around us even in the weirdest of places.