The Butcher in the Woods | Teen Ink

The Butcher in the Woods

By kstretch15 BRONZE, Modesto, California
kstretch15 BRONZE, Modesto, California

It was a freezing cold night in the middle of January. Gunnar, the local paper boy, had to wake up at four in the morning to start his delivery route. Gunnar was exhausted and slept through his first alarm. Gunnar’s second alarm sent him rushing to get ready; he was late. He threw on his clothes, brushed his teeth, and combed his hair in a blur. He decided that in order to make up time he would take his bike and ride through the forest neighboring his backyard. His mother specifically told him not to cut through the forest and to take the long way instead. She told him that nothing good happens in the forest and that people always go missing in the forest. Gunnar was hard headed and took the trail at least once a week when he was late for school. Gunnar grabbed his flashlight and bike and headed towards the forest. As he got about a quarter of a mile into the forest, he heard a loud scream. Gunnar froze instantly and the hair on his arms stood on end. He was unsure of whether to follow the noise or to retreat away from the scene. He remembered that he was late for work and chose to to head forward. Just as his nerves eased and he forgot about the scream, another piercing scream woke the forest. The birds flew from their branches leaving Gunnar alone. That scream felt even closer than the first. Then, darkness. Gunnar fell into a dream and the comfort of the darkness was inviting. Gunnar knew subconsciously that the darkness was the comfort before the nightmare. Gunnar awakened with a startle and felt the cold leather straps holding his wrists and feet in place. His vision was blurry but he could make out a tall figure standing over a pit that was burning. Just then, the person’s head snapped and locked eyes with Gunnar. Gunnar’s heart sank as he recognized him as the local butcher, Kyler. Turns out Kyler butchers more than just cows and is actually a man eating cannibal. Gunnar’s screams for help only seemed to annoy Kyler and the butcher switched on his meat grinder and approached Gunnar. Gunnar timed the situation and kicked Kyler just as he was untied. Gunnar went running towards a door and kicked it open. He was blinded by brightness and realized it was midday and he had inevitably missed work. He takes off at a dead sprint and heard the insane scream of a chainsaw catching up to him. It sounds like it is right behind him now. Just as his heart is ready to explode, Gunnar wakes up from his dream. It was all just a dream. However, Gunnar will never buy any meat from the local butchery again.

This asssignment is for my Creative Writing class at Central Catholic High School. It is a scary story with characters based around myself and a classmate. It was a very fun story to write. 

jackgoldbones, San Diego, California
I enjoyed your story, but it is a bit too dark and scary for me. Always listen to your mother and dont take shortcuts in life! Always Dream about happy things!

jackgoldbones, San Diego, California

jackgoldbones, San Diego, California

jackgoldbones, San Diego, California

jackgoldbones, San Diego, California