A mysterious City | Teen Ink

A mysterious City

By 2312030 BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2312030 BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

A Mysterious City

Today I am going on a road trip to get my mind off of the fact that I just lost my job because I was always late and I didn’t get my work done, but I try and get up early and I try to get things done, but it never happens because I get side tracked way too easily. I hope this trip will help me take my mind off finding a job and try to think of ways to be a better person. My family doesn’t approve of my choice to leave town, but I know myself the best, so I leave in the morning.
I pack up my car and stop off for breakfast at a nearby diner to get my thoughts straight and try and have a nice and relaxing drive to the unknown. After I am done eating, I get in my car and start the travel. I drive through the countryside admiring the views and the animals that are passing by grazing through the fields. They calm me and make me feel safe.
As my journey commences, I notice that I am low on gas and I realize that I forgot to fill up the tank before I left because I was too urgent to leave town. I park my car on the side of the street and go into the nearest saloon that I see. It was a very old-timey and run-down area, but I didn’t think anything of it because all I needed was some fuel and I would be on my way. There was only one person in the place, and he was a tall fat guy in an apron with stain on it.
“Can I help you” he asked in a groggy voice
“I was just wondering if you could direct me to any gas stations or any place where I could find some fuel.”
He stared at me for a moment and looked at me like he had never heard of a such thing as a gas station.
“Hello?” I said
No response.
I then decided that he wasn’t worth my time, so I left and walked around the town looking for people, but it was like a ghost town and there weren’t many houses except for a couple of shacks, so I knocked on one of their doors and someone answered. They seemed like they had common sense and they were clean.
“I am wondering if you have gasoline?”
“Sure, come in”
I went into the house and it smelled of beef stew and chicken. It seemed like she is eating good food and I hadn’t eaten in a while so I asked her if I could have a bite to eat.
“Of course! Tonight, we are having my signature dish, but it is a secret to what’s in it”
She gave me a plate that looked amazing. It looked like exactly how it smelled, and I chowed down. It is weird eating in a stranger's home, but the worst part is that she is staring at me extremely hungry. I stopped eating and said that I was full, but the lady wouldn’t stop staring until she got up and locked the door. Next thing I knew, she had a large knife and a smirk on her face that said, “your mine.”
In an instant, she started chasing around the room with the knife and she scratched me with it, and it tore my shirt. Luckily, I escaped through a window that is open in her bedroom as she licked the knife with my blood. I started sprinting through the town and I never looked back. After it felt like hours of running, I stopped and ran through my thoughts of what I ate at that house and then I realized that it was human meat and guts. I contemplated about whether I should call the police or keep this menacing experience to myself.
In addition, I have decided to tell the police about the situation and bring them to the town. I felt nervous about coming back because I was scared the woman would be in her house waiting for me or any other innocent traveler that came passing through this dreadful, hideous place. Also, I made sure that I brought a couple of police cars, so I had enough defense to fight this evil force. We pulled up into the town and went into the house. Empty. There was no sign of life in the house. It looked like there hadn’t been anyone living in it for years. The police now were deciding if I was faking it and I was mentally unstable. I pleaded to them that I got cut by this woman in this house. Then I started frantically searching for the knife as evidence, but nothing came up.
In the end, the police decided to not arrest me for bringing them here for no reason, but they investigated the past about the town, and they said it was once a town with many people, and they were very prosperous, but one day the nearest mental facility was overrun by the patients and the started to destroy the city. There was nothing they could do about the town, so the local authorities had to completely burn it down and all the people in it. Even today I question whether I had this experience or not, but I still have a scar on my arm from something that cut me that day. Maybe it is a scratch from the window I jumped through to escape this invisible woman, but I still believe that day I was chased by a cannibalistic being.

This piece is about a city that was overrun by menatlly disabled people.