A White Lie | Teen Ink

A White Lie

By rtrimue BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
rtrimue BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Life is a rollercoaster. All you can do is sit back and enjoy the ride."

I was the only one left. Everybody else was gone, torn apart by those… things. Every time my eyes closed the gruesome scenes would replay again, and again, and again. All I could see were my coworkers being torn apart by those creatures, their long talons penetrating their flesh. I couldn’t quite explain how truly terrifying they were. They must’ve stood at 10 feet at the least, their torsos hunched over, their bones protruding just beneath their slick, ragged skin. They looked almost like a deer… but not quite. Their heads weren’t made of the flesh you’d see on any other animal. It was a pure skull, which most of the creatures had drenched in crimson blood, with long antlers sticking out between their elvish ears on top of their heads. And their eyes... their eyes were hollow, with the exception of the beady red orbs that bore into your soul, awakening the drive and urge to run. A single look sent a shot of adrenaline through my body and shivers down my spine. I had to watch as one by one, my coworkers were picked off, and I couldn’t do a single thing about it. I really tried. I tried so hard.

My heart hammered against my chest, leaping in pace with my strides. My lab coat billowed behind me as I raced down the corridor, my skin covered in a thick sheet of sweat. Despite the burning ache in my throat, spreading dangerously throughout my lungs, I raced on. I could only think of one thing. Press the red button, press the red button…

That was my task. Dr. Keller begged me before he died. 

Why had I agreed to come and research this lab? Why did I lie on my application?
The screeches behind me only grew louder and angrier. They sounded almost… hungry, despite the mass of corpses that now littered the facility. I whimpered, pushing myself harder, faster.

Why didn’t I admit I was colorblind?

My name is Aubrey Lynn. I am 25 years old, and fresh out of college after receiving my associate’s degree and completing an internship. I went to UW Seattle for several years, majoring in biological sciences, and applied to this particular facility maybe a month or so ago. My job was to assist my advisors and partners in our work, prep equipment, collect data, and interpret into graphs and results. If I would’ve known what was to come of this job, I never would have taken it. I’d give anything to go back.

I inhaled the autumn air as I stepped out from my car. The facility was placed out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by dense green forest that was now bare from most vegetation. I sauntered across the lot and to the front gates, which stood tall and strong, blocking the buildings ahead from view. I buzzed in, which was followed by a blaring alarm that lasted for a few abrupt seconds followed, commanding the gates open. I walked down the sidewalk, and into the main building to clock in before heading to LABA2 to meet with Dr. Keller in order to discuss last week’s test results on a possible genetic Dodo sample.

The fluorescents flickered slightly as I strode down the hall towards the laboratory, and with it followed a bang. I paused, my hazel eyes flickering across the hall, and then I turned towards where I’d come. Nothing. I tucked a strand of my auburn hair behind my ear, adjusting my bag and clipboard, before continuing on my way.

Dr. Keller was rummaging through some samples on the counters when I arrived.

“Lynn. Good morning”, he greeted, before mumbling to himself and changing for another slide under the microscope. He didn’t look up from his work as he spoke.

“Dr. Keller”, I nodded, setting my things aside. I shrugged on my white lab coat over my grey sweater and jeans, following with some latex gloves, a hairnet, and my goggles.

I started towards one of the filing cabinets and then, just as before, another bang could be heard from the north side of the facility.

“Now what was that?” Keller muttered, clearly annoyed he’d been interrupted. He looked up from the scope, peering towards the door almost expectantly.

Dr. Keller was a lean man, gray with age. His hair was cropped short, balding in the center. His face was set in a permanent glower, which was rather intimidating for those who weren’t familiar with him. I still felt small when I was around him, despite working with him for as long as I have. His brows pulled together, wrinkling his forehead slightly as he continued to glare towards the doors.

Nothing.

“I heard the same noise earlier. Maybe somebody is having some issues with something,” I piped up, suggesting my theory.

“Perhaps,” he murmured, and with a short huff, he returned to his slides.

I continued with my task as well, working quietly. And again, the familiar banging, now followed a terrible screech, and then… a scream.

Dr. Keller murmured a curse under his breath, striding towards the door before swinging them open. I watched as his head turned aggressively to peer down one side of the corridor, and then the other.

“Come along,” he growled, turning his head briefly in my direction. He then turned to walk through the doors and down the right side, not giving me a second of thought.

I hurried to keep pace with him, even jogging a few steps due to his long strides.

“Sir, what are we doing?” I asked, trying to meet his gaze. “Surely if it were an emergency -,” I bumped into his shoulder suddenly. He’d stopped. I righted myself, opening my mouth to protest, but he instantly hushed me.

“Listen…,” he whispered.

I paused, straining my ears to hear whatever he was listening for. It was another screech. And then heavy, foreboding footsteps stepping ever so closer to the corner. It was there next, it’s head turning one way, and then towards us. It’s red orbs flickered in the hollow sockets of where it’s eyes should’ve been, and then it roared, pouncing forward so suddenly I almost fell backwards.

“Run!” Keller shouted, spinning on his heels. I felt his hands push me forward, and on instinct, I bolted down the opposite way, Keller hot on my heels despite his age.

What were these things? I’d never seen anything like it. Maybe in movies and stories, yes, but I would never have imagined I’d see such a beast before my very eyes. It’s hungry roars continued, and it was gaining. Suddenly, Keller’s arms wrapped around my collarbone, close to my neck, and he tugged me into a random utility closet once we’d rounded a corner. Seconds after the door had closed, the rushed footsteps and friction of the long talons on the tile passed, and then it was gone. I held my breath for what felt like forever, before speaking.

“W-what are those things?” I shivered, much to my dismay.

“I don’t know,” he panted in response. “We need to.. get to the main powerhouse. Go manual, and shut down the gates.”

He moved to peer through the door, moving cautiously out into the hall. I followed, my breathing shallow. He raised his hand, paused, and motioned me forward, and we continued in the direction the creature had come from. Along the way, the same noises from earlier sounded, ensnaring my heart in a fit of fear.

It grew quiet for many moments, and we approached two other double doors. He pushed them open after a second and then… they were everywhere. Two must’ve been on him before I could blink.

“No!” I cried, stumbling back through the doors. I watched through the two openings as the creatures tore into him. Another cry then ensued, and they all stopped, turning East all in unison, before leaping away.

I rushed to his side, my hands stretched out before me. His torso was so deformed I couldn’t quite tell what was what. He was bleeding out, fast. I couldn’t think.

“Go…,” he wheezed, his voice gargled. “Red.. button… Aubrey you have to go to the -,” he winced, clenching his teeth as he held his wounds, “- the powerhouse. Press the red button. That’s what will end this,” he wheezed. “It will activate the emergency generators, and the system will go manual. Don’t press anything other than the red button.” And then he was gone.

So here I was, now at the powerhouse. My hands hovered over two, very very similar buttons. I was crying out of frustration, my heart clenching painfully in my chest. I had no one else to ask. I was alone. Closing my eyes, my teeth clenched, my hand came down upon the left button, grey in my view. And much to my horror… the doors did not close. They opened.

In this piece I tried to kind of give off "A Quiet Place" vibes. Hopefully I did a little bit! :)

P.S. The creatures are based off of the Wendigo, a mythological creature/spirit that originates from Native American folklore!