When I Wake | Teen Ink

When I Wake

By postoama000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
postoama000 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Lyn was normally a sweet girl. She made everyone smile, and often spoke to everyone she came in contact with. My sister had no problem talking about her feelings. While walking in the hallways I approached my locker which was next to hers. She hadn’t spoken all morning so I thought I’d speak to her. “Hey Ly-” she had walked away before I could finish my sentence. I went about my day, not a second went by without me worrying about Lyn. After school mom came to pick us up. I saw Lyn headed to the car and I asked if she was okay, but she had ignored me. When we got into the car mom greeted us. “Hey mom how was your day?” I asked. “Good, how about you guys’ day?” she asked. Lyn just stared down at her feet, trying to be a good sister. I answered for us both. “Our day went great!” I exclaimed. Suddenly, Lyn yelled, scaring both my mom and I. “DO NOT SPEAK FOR ME.” she yelled. This was unusual for Lyn, we decided not to question her actions thinking maybe she needed her space.

Later that night I woke to grab a glass of water. Walking past Lyn’s room I could hear her talking to what sounded like a satanic male voice.It was deep and distorted making it hard for me to understand what he was saying. I quickly swung her door open and I saw her sitting in a corner with a few candles lit. I scanned the room looking for who she was talking to, and I saw only her. “Lyn who was here?” I asked with a concerned look on my face. She turned and looked at me and mumbled something. “What? I can't hear you...I'm gonna get mom.” I said in a panic. As I exited her room the door slammed shut but she was still sitting in the same spot. The loud bang woke my mom and she screamed from down the hall. “Why are you girls up so late!!” she asked. I ran to her room to explain but before I could, I heard Lyn saying. “Tell..I dare you” she said letting out a wicked laugh followed by her footsteps approaching me. She started chanting in my face, words unrecognizable. Some I didn't even know existed, she walked away sluggishly and entered her room. I couldn't sleep the rest of that night and refused to leave my room. She had left for school while I stayed back home the next morning.

I had fallen asleep due to my lack of rest the previous night. I woke up to my mom screaming, so I ran downstairs to see what was up. To my surprise she was watching a horror movie with Lyn. “Hi guys..uh whatcha’ watching” i asked. Lyn turned around slowly, and my heart started to beat uncontrollably fast. “A horror movie...based on a true story.” she said. Mom quickly asked “Wait, this is based on a true story!?” Lyn giggled “It will be” she said. I stepped back, creeped out and made my way back upstairs. Later that night everyone had fallen asleep and I again went to get water. I heard some noises in the bathroom so I opened the door and peeked in. I saw the most bone chilling face looking back at me in the dark, with my sister standing right next to it. The face was pale so it could be easily seen in the dark. It had two horns right in the center of its forehead, and red eyes looking back at me. Its skin was scaly and had burning holes forming, with fire emerging from them. I was about to run away in spite of the fear in my body when i heard someone say. “CUUUUTT let's try that again, great acting by the way Lyn. Almost believed you were truly evil.”

This piece was inspired by my love for horror movies.