Red Peak | Teen Ink

Red Peak

February 13, 2022
By Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
103 articles 7 photos 1819 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)


I was sitting by the window reading rather frightening mystery story and I suddenly heard a loud cry of "help, help". "It is probably someone trying to play a trick on me," I thought and went back to reading. The book which I was reading was about three characters David, Deacon and Beth who are the survivors of a religious group's final days on Red Peak, which is a remote mountain. I think the book is named 'The children of Red Peak' for that reason. I got so terrified as I read about the trauma they faced.

All of a sudden, I heard the sound of thunder. Wait, what! According to the weather report, they said that it won't rain this month, and now I hear thunder? What is happening? Again came out that loud cry for help and I was frustrated. I shouted in the top of my lungs, "Whoever you are, mind your own business! I was not born yesterday, bestie. So I won't fall for it. If you needed help, why don't you help yourself? Ha, ha, ha! Go home!"

Then, there was a terrifying silence. I chuckled to pacify the fright I had, somewhere deep in my heart. Then, there was a loud shrill followed by a deep voice saying, "My friend, you shall regret not helping me. You shall!" I shot back, "You must get a Nobel Prize for acting. Now if you please-" In the nick of time, thunder struck me. I felt an immense pain in my body. Is this how being between life and death feels? I closed my eyes.

When I open my eyes, I was aghast to see no bruise or wound in my body and also was shocked to find myself in a remote mountain. It seemed familiar to me. A chill ran down my spine when I realised that this place looked a lot like how I had imagined Red Peak to be. Then, a boy and a girl approached me. "Who are you two? And where am I?," I asked. "Come on, Deacon. Do not act! Did you forget who we are in just a little time?," said the boy. "I'm Beth and he's David. Now don't say that you forgot us the way we survived this Red Peak together, Deacon," said the girl. "I've bad news," said David, "Another survivor has died."

I was thunderstruck, both literally and metaphorically. According to the chapter which I was reading before the ordeal took place, David, Deacon and Beth reunite after another survivor dies and there were signs of an ultimate sacrifice. And the bad news which I seem to be realising now, is that somehow, I am teleported into the book and I was Deacon. I felt my heart beating like a rocket and my face making a grimace. What is this ultimate sacrifice? I did not read the book that far. I digress. How do I get out of this book? And what happens to David and Beth if I do? What happens to Deacon if I don't? Destiny only knows!


The author's comments:

This is actually a question that came in one of my test papers. I wrote the answer and it was much better than I expected so I thought of sharing it here. The line in bold was given as a part of the question and we had to continue the story, with the condition of writing no more than 500 words so I decided to give it this type of an ending(as it could not be more lengthy) and I wrote it a little bit based on 'The children of Red Peak' which is a horror-fiction written by the renowned author 'Craig DiLouie'. I hope you enjoy reading this!