Mystery Name | Teen Ink

Mystery Name

October 13, 2022
By fill2425 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
fill2425 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
20 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My name is just an assortment of 5 random letters. It would be like if you took all of the words from the alphabet and took random ones from it and put it into the 5 spaces. It's a name someone chooses that forgets the name they originally chose. 


The name Jacob is like a boat on a calm sea that gets bumpy then goes calm again. Just like the color blue. Blue shows calmness and peace. 

 

The start of my name is said very softly, it is said from the beginning of my mouth. The middle of my name is more rough where it comes from the back of my mouth to then going back to being soft at the end. The name feels almost perfect except for the middle part of it. It's like looking out your window to see the sunset  and you see a mountain that splits the river into two.  


Even though Jacob fits right, it is too long for me. The name Jake was a more perfect fit. It felt more like one word than two words. It was short and it was easier to write. My parents always wanted the name Jake. My mom's favorite movie inspired my name, but my dad didn’t and wanted it to be Jacob. Only time will tell when I change it once again.


Jake sounded more right for my last name. It didn’t sound weird when I pronounced it. The name Jake sounds more right, for just a boy, big and bright. Thought he knew the whole world, but didn’t. 


 He struggled with his sports and school. You didn’t see many famous people named Jake, so I wanted to work hard so then there could be one. I tried my best in sports, but injuries got in the way, so the dream I had, flew right away. It was like my boat was in a thunderstorm, which lightning struck and ended it all. The difference it made to my 8 year old life, everything was taken away, “even my ability to walk”. After two painful surgeries, I was finally cleared to play sports again. It was finally time to get up and be active again.


The name Jacob, sounds like he struggles in school. I have a hard time listening and making friends. But the name Jake, shows a lot of fear, even to new people. I wouldn’t talk to people I don't know, which I thought would just embarrass myself. 

 

 I wish I understood more in school, so then I would have more intelligence. But If I had that then my name wouldn’t be the same. It would’ve had different actions and emotions that do not describe me. I could be a whole new person, having different friends and a different life. I could act totally different which would give me new friends that would fit my personality and maybe give me different relationships with my family.


The author's comments:

Piece took about 2 weeks to make