Happy Birthday | Teen Ink

Happy Birthday

May 30, 2023
By Anonymous

Today is fathers birthday. We got everything ready. I retrieved the mail from the mailbox. Dad has always been a workaholic so we expected him to be late. We had the presents and birthday cake ready. The cake was vanilla with strawberry icing. I was allowed to write happy Birthday on it. We waited in anticipation for dad to leave work. He's supposed to be home by 6:00. It is now 8:00 when he normally returns. Mom is now furious but she hides it. It is now 10:00 and dads still not home mom is starting to worry. Its 6:00 in the morning I fell asleep waiting for dad as soon as I woke up I ran Into their room when i open the door I see mom crying silently with a picture of dad in her hands “Where's dad” i ask she looks up i and hugs me I don't understand why dad never came home. After a while mom gently pushes me off her and just looks at me and tells me to get ready for school. After i finish getting ready for school i sit down and turn on the TV it turns on to the news I watched as the man on the screen is talking about a car crash on the freeway that claimed the lives of 3 people I recognised the freeway as the one dad takes home everyday from work but before i could see any more my mom turned of the TV and told me to get in the car for school. 


The author's comments:

A story i wrote for a quick write