A Night of Kalkara | Teen Ink

A Night of Kalkara

By Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota

"Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel."

It was a dark night in the tall, white capitol building. The inside was the picture of elegance; men strode stiffly around in dark tuxedos, and women flaunted draping gowns while clinking delicate champagne glasses. The orchestra played at one side, the melody of the strings floating in and out between conversations. Large, high-arched windows surrounded every wall of the circular structure, and from the third story everyone could see the dark grounds below. I weaved in and out of the millionares and politicians, keeping my dark shades over my eyes as I scanned for danger. Something told me that something was wrong. I didn't know what yet, but so far my instincts hadn't let me down in my career as a secret service man.

Suddenly black silhouettes surrounded the floor. Silence fell over everyone as they looked around. It was the Kalkara, the monsters that fed on the life of others. They were tall, with dark hoods obscuring their faces and hooked noses. Everything seemed to fade into slow motion as suddenly a screech pierced through the air. Pandamonium raged as suddenly everyone began screaming and running for elevators. Women in high-heeled shoes fell back as people pushed to the front in the hysteria. I didn't wait, launching myself past the others I pushed others back in an attempt to get to the elevator. The Kalkara had blocked the stairs, and there was no way a gun could harm their eight-foot-tall stature. Their red eyes glowed as they leaped, as if on springs, on to their prey. Many thoughts rushed through my mind, but first and foremost was the need to survive. Never before had the Kalkara attacked unprovoked, but it was war now between the humans and them.

Suddenly a dark Kalkara's eyes locked on me. I braced myself for impact as it's leg muscles bunched, preparing to leap. At that moment the elevator door dinged open. I launched myself in along with the screaming and shoving crowd. Everyone in the back of the mob was already getting picked off. The elevator floor was slippery. I watched in horror as the Kalkara snatched up a burly man in his tuxedo. I desperately pushed the close buttons and watched as one last person skidded in before the doors closed, leaving the rest of the people trapped up above. It was like 9/11 all again, people were leaping from the windows without a chance of survival. The four of us in the elevator were breathing hard. One woman was sobbing, her whole body shaking. We were the lucky survivors, but did we deserve to be in the elevator while the rest of the people upstairs were trapped?

The peaceful elevator music seemed to be mocking us as the doors slid open on the deserted first floor. Scrambling out I was about to run to my car when I came face to face to another Secret Service man. He was holding a key which he inserted in the door, shutting down the elevator.

“You can't do that, there's more people up there!” I shouted.

“We can't risk the Kalkara getting out from the top floor. We've already sealed off the stairs to hold them off for a few minutes.” He replied.

I couldn't believe my ears. Instead, though, I just nodded, adjusted my shades, and sprinted full-tilt to the parking lot where I knew my car was waiting. Out in the dark I could see the silhouettes of the Kalkara, prowling on the top floor by the shattered windows. It wasn't long before they would escape. I, hopefully, would be gone by then.

Leaping in my car and turning the key in the ignition, I roared out of the parking lot faster than I had ever gone before. I would put as much distance between myself and the Kalkara as I could.

Roaring down the road at almost 90 miles per hour I allowed one last glance at the white capitol building. I was a coward... I knew that. But who knew when or where the Kalkara would strike next. It was war.

I created this whole story in a vivid dream I had one night. It was so realistic that I couldn't help putting it down on paper. The Kalkara are dark, deadly monsters of a sort that are at war with the humans in this alternate reality.

You are correct that they resemble the Kalkara from the Ranger Apprentice story. I happened to have been reading the first book around the same time I had this dream (the whole story is based off a dream I had).

I'm glad you like it though!

Paradox GOLD said...
Paradox GOLD, Tustin, California

"Every experience is a paradox in that it means to be absolute, and yet is relative; in that it somehow always goes beyond itself and yet never escapes itself."
T. S. Eliot

A very impressive, 5 star worthy article. Your story is written well, with great descriptive phrases. However, your description of the Kalkara closely resembles  the Kalkara of John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice Series.