Jeffrey's Story | Teen Ink

Jeffrey's Story

By Free.The.Poison PLATINUM, Hanford, California
Free.The.Poison PLATINUM, Hanford, California

Even in our Darkest hour, we must always remember never to spare.

“The story started off as the death of a singer was..” “no“. “That’s not it“.
He then threw another page away. He couldn’t seem to start off a story that he liked, or that was at least well written.
He soon got up from the old noisy chair that use to be his grandfathers. He opened the door to his kitchen, sunny, bright and white as milk. He soon then opened the cabinet where the cups were. He got himself some water and leaned against the sink looking at the ground while drinking slowly. Someone started knocking, “Jeffrey, are you home? Jeffrey!” he started to hear a young woman’s cry.
Jeffrey set the cup on the counter an hurried to the door an soon opened it with no hesitation.
“What is it?” he asked with a worried look on his face.
“I tried to call you, I didn’t know if you were alive or dead, it’s been weeks since I’ve heard from you!. What have you been doing?” she said with a sad but happy facial expression.
“I, I’ve been home, here.. Trying to find something to write about, Catherine” he tried to explain.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to go off on you” she soon looked at him with a smile
“I’m sorry too, I should have answered but I don’t know, come in if you want” he offered.
“No, I should be going, your poor old mom wanted me to check on you” there was a pause
“Shoot, I forgot to call her back that night, but thanks for letting me know and checking on me, I-”
“I really need to go now Jeffrey but call me sometime, I’ll check on you tomorrow or later tonight if that’s fine” she bargained with him.
Jeffrey shut the door and walked to the phone. He called his mother.
“Hello” his mothered answered.
“Hello mom, I’m sorry for not keeping in touch with you, I just have been busy with work and stuff” he explained.
How’s dad doing?” he asked.
“He’s working on the sink again, but he is fine like usual, he took me to breakfast this morning. It was nice.”
“That’s good mom, I love you”
“I love you too” she soon responded
“I will come by to see you in a few hours”
“Alright, Jeffrey bye now”
“Bye”.
Jeffrey hung the phone and looked at his computer desk. He then looked around the house with 2 white sofas and a up to date television in the corner.
“Work, work, work. I need to get out more often he thought to himself”. He soon left the house and got into his truck. He drove to town where he’d soon go to the town’s mall. “Got to find love somehow” he thought. He locked the Dodge truck with a nice forest green paint job and a 3inch lift. He made his way to the mall’s door where he’d try to search for that girl he always thought and dreamed about. “Out of all places why here?” he kept thinking only to ignore his own question. A lot of people walking around the big, pale building with bags of stuff they bought. “Not that crowded good” he mumbled. He took one step and decided to walk out. He stopped dead in his tracks to see a beautiful fairly tall, barely tan skinned girl with piercing on her lip, brown eyes, beautiful black hair and average weight. Something about her got his attention. He walked up towards her path, he introduced himself,
“Hi, I don’t mean to seem rude or to scare you but, I’m Jeffrey, but most people call me Jeff”.
She smiled at him,
“You don’t scare me, I’m Ravine, but it’s the first time I’ve had a guy come up to me randomly and introduce himself”
“About that, I’m sorry I just thought you were very beautiful and decided that I wouldn’t pass the moment up to talk to you”
“Well thank you very much Jeffrey or Jeff” she then giggled a bit.
They looked at each other as if they were interested.
“You should call me sometime Ravine” he said nervously
“I barely know you and all Jeffrey but we should hangout tomorrow around 12 if you want or not busy” she asked
“Yes of course, where at?”
“I’m knew to town so I suppose here” she then laughed
Jeffrey agreed and they went on their way. Jeffrey soon got into his truck and drove to his mothers house to visit for awhile. They caught up on things in their lives. It ended shortly when Jeffrey got a call from Catherine to hangout at a restaurant. Jeffrey made his way to “Chef’s Best” restaurant where he met Catherine in the parking lot.
“Hey, nice to see you again” Catherine said
“Yeah, nice to see you too” he replied then ended the conversation with a kiss on the cheek.
He lead her on the way in. They got a table for two.
“You said you were writing a new story Jeffrey, how’s it going?”
“It’s not going very well at all. I can’t really think of anything to write about”
“Jeff, write about yourself. You always have stories to tell. Remember when we were kids you found that rock and you gave it to me that day at the park?”
“Yes, but that was stupid and childish”
“No Jeff it wasn’t. We always knew each other ever since we were 5. You were the funny guy at school, you were the first guy my parents approved off -she laughed- even though we never dated”
Jeffrey had a flashback to the day when he had the car wreck which changed everything. Drunk driver crashed into his lane and Jeffrey was thrown 500ft. And got stopped by a tree. There was a woman that looked like Ravine but he soon came back to reality.
“Catherine, you do still remember that night right?”
“What night?” she asked
“The night I almost you know, the night you were telling me about” he said
“The night you almost died, Jeff?”
“Yes, there was a lady that looked like Ravine. Ravine is a girl I met today at the mall.”
“Jeff, are you sure? Ravine was the drunk drivers passenger that the medics couldn’t save. She told me that night to tell you sorry right before they took her to the hospital. We have been through this Jeff”.
“Funny, I can’t remember any of that Catherine”.
The waiter soon came to take their orders, soon left as they ordered.
“Catherine, are you sure we are talking about the same Ravine” he asked nervously
“Jeff, she looked kind of tan, brown eyes and average weight, she also had black hair”
“That can’t be, she looks just like that, did she have a cut or scar on her left arm?”
“Jeff, I believe so Ravine Sea Mill was her full name. Shame she was with a idiot who had been drinking but come on Jeffrey it was in the past. Enjoy us and this lovely dinner -she laughed a bit-
Jeffrey knotted and agreed with a smirk. They both left to go home and said there goodbyes with kisses on cheek. Jeffrey got home 20 minutes later from the restaurant to look at his computer screen. “It’s 10pm, time for bed he thought”. He walked into his room and set his alarm for 9:30. “Ring-Ring” his alarm went off, he got up and decided what to wear that day. He took a shower and got dressed. He went to his computer desk and started typing again “the nightmare was the las- no, not good” he soon erased the incomplete sentence and looked at the time. 11, time goes by so slowly he thought. He shut the computer off again and made his way his truck. I’ll drive around to pass the time I guess. He started to drive when he seen something in the middle of the road, he stopped and stared.. “what the” he thought. Jeffrey started to drive closer to get a better look. It was a person, Jeffrey got out of the truck to see if they were hurt.
As soon as he got close enough to see it was Catherine.
“No!!” Jeffrey yelled
“Catherine, are you alright?”
“Jeffrey, she’s better right.. How?”
“Catherine, what are you talking about and why are you out here?”
“You liked her, you always stared at her” Jeffrey picked Catherine up and carried her to his truck and drove off.
“Catherine what are you talking about? How the hell did you get in the middle of the road?” he asked freaked out
“You like Devine, you always did. When we were kids you use to pick her to be Juliet when we’d role play. All the other things you’d use to do as well I loved you for the longest time Jeffrey. I still do.” Jeffrey stopped the truck. I got in the middle of the road because I knew you’d go and see her.
He got out and ran while calling his mom.
“Mom, I need to ask you something as she answered
“What is it Jeffrey?”
“The wreck, what happened to me? I don’t remember it that well but I do know that a girl named Devine died..”
“Jeffrey” his mom interrupted”
“Devine didn’t die, she had amnesia like you did. Only yours wasn’t that bad and hers was.”
“But Catherine mom, she said Devine died-
“Oh no Jeffrey, she moved 2 years or so and Jeffrey the drunk driver was dead. Her brother”.
Jeffrey looked behind him, closing the phone. Catherine was standing there crying.
“You know the truth now Jeffrey, don’t you?”
“Why’d you lie Catherine? I can’t believe I trusted you”
“Jeffrey, I knew she moved, I knew you wouldn’t remember her so I lied so you’d be with me. I want us to be together.” She soon walked up to Jeffrey slow and tried to kiss him.
“No Catherine, get off of me” he yelled. Jeffrey got in his truck and took off to go meet with Devine at the mall. He got there when she barely walked to the front. Jeffrey rushed out of his truck to confront her.
“Devine, we need to talk”. Devine walked with a guy by her side to Jeffrey.
“Hey yes we do Jeffrey, this is my brother I’d like you to meet him”. Jeffrey fell on his knees. He soon passed out. He then woke up and couldn’t move. It was dark and cold and everything he saw was lights and trees. He tried to get up but couldn’t do to a broken leg.
“Jeffrey!!” he heard a loud cry. “I’m glad you made it, I’m so sorry” she cried.
“Who are you?” Jeffrey asked
“It’s me Catherine”.

Jeffrey, only wanted a story and a girl to love.

I made a mistake on the names. It's "Ravine" not "devine".