I Just Want You to Love Me | Teen Ink

I Just Want You to Love Me

By SaijLorelei SILVER, El Paso, Texas
SaijLorelei SILVER, El Paso, Texas

“My dear, Jillian, you will love these scones!” he said as he pushed the door open with his shoulder. He was all a-smiles this morning, it was because of his new guest.

“My lovely mother taught me how to make these when I was a little boy. How I love baking.” He set the platter of breakfast down on the small round table. “But here, let me serve you. Golly, I forgot to as Mrs. Cupance if you liked sugar in your tea. Oh well.” he said. The man sat in the chair across from his guest, “We’ll have to make do.” He picked a scone for himself and tasted it, making a sound of enjoyment.

“My dear,” he said, he laid his hand on the middle of the table and grunted. Getting up from his chair, he moved the girls hand to the same spot his had been, then he sat back down and put his hand over hers. “There’s no need to be nervous or frightened, it is only breakfast. And besides,” he said, motioning with his other hand around the room, “you are among friends.” He smiled at her and squeezed her hand. Jillian stared at him and remained silent. The man finally broke contact and resumed eating and he told her the day’s agenda.

“Mr. Hopkins is being laid down this afternoon. His wife asked that I be there and I loathe funerals but as a favour to her I am going. Mr. Hopkins was such a pleasant guest during his stay here, I hated to see him leave. Though he was a large man. It was quite difficult to dress him for the wake. I have to dress Ms. Katherine just after breakfast. But tonight! You will be fitted for your casket!” He was thoroughly excited about that. When breakfast had finished, he scooted Jillian’s chair away from the table and had to catch her from falling to the stoney ground. He lifted her up, brought her to the back room and set her down on a table covered with a white cloth. He gave a sigh of exhaustion, “I’m so glad the rigor mortis has gone away for now, it’ll be so much easier to dress you.”

Jillian stared at the ceiling, unmoving.

He began to whisper, “Jillian, you will be buried in two days time,” the undertaker kissed her cold lips, “let’s make the best of it.”