Running | Teen Ink

Running

By Sky_L. SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sky_L. SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Running. I am running. Away from the world because I know if I can just keep going, I’ll get to the end and fling myself into peacefulness. No longer will I have to face what follows me know, calling my name.

“Skylar.”

It’s closer now. Every hair on my body is standing on end. I tap into what little strength I have left, forcing my rubbery legs to move faster.

“Skylar.”

Closer. Closer. Closer. It can’t be outran. I can’t hide. I stop and vomit the meager breakfast I’d eaten morning. This morning? Yes, all this started just a few hours ago. It seems like its been days.

“Skylar.”

I can almost taste the rotting flesh. Its so close to me now. There is no escape, unless…

“Skylar.”

There is no time to think about it, to change my mind. I pull out the knife the boy gave to me. What had he said? I can’t remember. There’s no time to remember.

“Skylar.”

That raspy voice. It could be no closer. I position the knife at my heart and say a silent goodbye to my family, who I failed to save from this beast.

“Skylar. Skylar. Skylar.”

Its saying my name over and over again, taunting me even now as I’m about to die. As I’m about to give it what it wants. What it wants. The boy’s words are so clear now.

“It helps with the pain.”

I had thought he meant suicide, but is there another way? To stop others’ pain as well as my own?

“Skylar.”

It rubs its cold fingers across my spine. I struggle to concentrate. My mind forms one more thought before my next action. End the pain. And that’s when my knife plunges into the beast’s heart. Just as it rips out my throat.

I just sat down and wrote it. I usually plan stories with a web, but I just let this come straight my mind. There was no editing so sorry if there's a few mistakes. Hope you enjoy.

LASwan SILVER said...
LASwan SILVER, Yukon, Oklahoma

Don't worry about the world endng today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
-Charles Schultz

Thrilling, chilling, fulfilling. Great piece.

Sky_L. SILVER said...
Sky_L. SILVER, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks!! And yea I'll take a look;)

booknerd BRONZE, Robinson, Texas

"Reality is merely an illusion. Albeit a very persistant one."

-Einstein

That was really good! I loved the decription and the details. Very interesting and exciting! Could you check out some of my work? =)