Interviewing Harry | Teen Ink

Interviewing Harry

January 8, 2011
By Lay18 PLATINUM, Portsmouth, Virginia
Lay18 PLATINUM, Portsmouth, Virginia
30 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live and Learn


Wednesday, January 2, 2010 - 6:40 P.M.
NYPD Interrigation Room
"Can I get you anythinhg before we start? Perhaps a snack, drink?"
"I'm fine," the young man the young man replied.
"Are you sure because I could get Andrew-"
" I said, I'm fine!"
Detective Robinson held up both of his hands backing off. "Pushy, pushy are we now?"
"My patience is wearing thin. I just want to get this thing over and done with."
Ok, have it your way," he said as he pulled up a chair and sat right next to the interviewee. Up close and personal that's the way he liked it. No tables, no distance, no breathing room. No nothing.
"Can you state your name and adress please?"
"My name is Harry Davis. I reside at 2600 King St."
Detective Robinson brown eyes widened in surprise. "No s***?!?!?! I live on that street too. Actually I just moved in the neighborhood a month ago. How come I've never seen you around before?"
"Jee, I don't know sir, maybe it's because I've been on hose arrest for abouth three weeks," Harry said, his words dripping of sarcasm.
"You just can't stay out of trouble can you." The detective tsked while shahing his head. "If you would of stayed in the house like your parents asked you to-"
"I wouldn't be in this predicament now? Yes, in hindsight I know that now. But, the point is sir, I didn't stay in the house like my parents asked me to. And now I have to pay the consequences." Harry shruged his shoulders indifferently. "Admittedly I should of listened to my parents, but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk."
Detective Robinson sat back in his chair and regarde Harry closely. He was a good looking kid with green eyes. inky black hair, naturally tanned skin, and wide shoulders. He was what the ladies reffered to as being the "total package". Brawns and brains.
"You know what?" Detective Robinson asked intruding Harry space once again.
"What?" he challenged looking the detective right in the eyes.
"Your wise for your age." Robinson snorted. "A liitle to wise ifyou as me."
"Nobody did sir." He smirked.
"You're such a wiseass."
Harry rolled his green eyes perfectly. "Tell em something I don't know."
'This is going to be long night,' Robinson thought to himself as he began to loosen his tie and roll up the cuffs of his sleeves.
"Before we continue Harry," he cleared his throat trying to act professionally, "may I call you Harry?"
"Frankly sir, I don't give a d*** what you call me. Ignoring his snide comment, Johnson went on. "Before we begin Harry, I have to inform you of your Miranda Rights."
"Don't waste your breath sir, I'm not going to exercise them."
"Why not?"
"I'm an open book sir," Harry demonstratd with open arms, "I have nothing to hide."
"We'll see about that."
"Yes, we will."
"In the meantime I'm going to read you your rights. And you're going to listen, whether you like it or not."
Harry decided to humor the cop and pretended to listen to hsi monotonous voice. But all he heard him say was, "Wonk, wonk, wonk, wa, wonk, wa, wonk, wa," like the adults on the Charlie Brown cartoon. It went in one ear and out the other.
"So," the detective said after he finished reciting the rights, "are you going to waive them?"
"I told you once and I will tell you agian, I'm not going to exercise them."
"A simple yes or no would of sufficed."
"I'm afraid I'm not simple sir."
"Of course not," Detective Robinson smiled and revealed coffee stained teeth. "Now, shall we get down to business?"
"We shall."
"OK, then. Do you mind telling about your relationship with the deceased Sherry Silver?"
"Yes, I mind, but I'll tell you anyway." Harry paused and gathered his thoughts. "Our relationship was complicated, to say the least. We weren't just freinds, but we weren't passionated lovers either."
"Friends with benefits." Detective Robinson nodded his head in understanding. "Complicated indeed."
"Sounds like someone can relate."
"Hardly."
"What, afraid to open up?"
"This isn't about me, this is about you. Now tell me more pretty boy."
"About?"
"Don't be a smartas, your relationship with Sherry Silver."
"That's the extent of it. I mean, we had sex occasionally, but we wern't committed or anything like that."
Detective Robinson looked Harry in the face and said, "You're lying."
"What?"
"You're lying Harry."
"You don't know what you're talking about sir."
"I talked to Danny, Harry. He told me how crazy you were about Sheery."
Harry laughed nervously. "Of course I was crazy about her sir. If you'd seen how she looked, you'd be crazy about he too."
"I'm not talking about horney crazy, I'm taliking about lunatic crazy Harry. Stalking and s***!"
"Stalking? You can't eb serious sir?"
"Oh, I'm very serious."
"Danny is a liar sir. I've never stalked Sherry a day in my life. Sure I might of checked up on her every now and then, but-"
"Like you did at the New Years party your friend Johny throwed."
Harry face went pale. "H-how do you know about that? Nobody is supposed to know about that!"
"People talksHarry."
"Danny talks, that's who talks! I swear when I get my hands on him,'m going to-"
"It was't Danny, Harry."
"Then who in the h*** was it?"
Detective Robinson rubbed the stuble on his chin and thought for second. " I'll tell you, but first you have to tell me what happened at the New Years party."
"Fair enough. What to you want to know?"
"Everything. Now start talking before I change my mind."
"Ok, very well then." Harry gulped.

The author's comments:
This is my first short story:) Is it good or bad? Should I keep going on with the story?