Caught: Victim | Teen Ink

Caught: Victim

By SnehaVee GOLD, Ajax, Other
SnehaVee GOLD, Ajax, Other

I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
and wrote my will across the sky in stars.
-T.E. Lawrence

Hell hath no fury
-Dante, Inferno

3

Victim

Selene felt alone as she moved restlessly on her bed. She'd been trying to fall asleep for the last two hours and so far her attempts had been unsuccessful. She was exhausted both mentally and physically. The two detectives showing up at her doorstep was a bad sign.

“Miss Gray, if you don’t mind me asking, where were you between the hours of 12 am and 3 am that night?”

It was in this instant that Selene had started to immensely dislike Detective James.

What did they expect? That she jetted over down to New York to killed her own grandfather and came back? It was ridiculous and stupid not to mention the fact that their Cessna had been sold to buy a newer model.

“I was sleeping of course and if you ask for witnesses you know that I obviously don't have any. What were they suppose to do, just lurk in my bedroom or something?” Selene’s temper was deteriorating fast.

“I’m sorry if I’ve upset you Miss Gray but I can't rule you out as a suspect because of your relationship with the victim.”

“And why not?”

“You see Miss Gray, we've found a strand of your hair in Mr. Gray's study and...”

“So you just assumed that his GRANDDAUGHTER, who has visited the study countless time, would be the prime suspect because you found a hair sample?”

Selene exploded and the two detectives looked at each other nervously. If the evidence wasn't circumstantial and with these rich families...

“And”, she continued, “you just sauntered up to my house accusing me of being a murder-“

“Miss Gr-”

“Get out.” She was calm now almost serene. She smiled pleasantly as she said it.

The detectives looked at each other, shook their heads and left.

Selene became restless and finally got up from the bed and went downstairs to make herself some tea. She knew she shouldn't be nervous or fidgeting, it showed weakness. And Selene did not like to look like a witless little girl always needing to be rescued. After all, it was just acting. Taking a deep breath she went to her room along with the green tea and opened the safe hidden by a false bookcase. How cliché really, she thought as the case swung open. Selene then expertly entered the 8 digit code and chuckled slightly. Every safe that William Gray owned had the exact same digit code. Selene thought it was stupid but had refrained from commenting. From the safe she produced a new sim card and phone and used it to call a familiar number.

“Great acting Selene; I never thought you could lose your temper like that!” the male voice at the other end exclaimed.

Selene supposed it was a compliment but with 'him' she was always wary.

“Mhmm” she replied.

There was a pause. Ever since that time, when she'd thought he'd liked her, it had been awkward. Not because of the liking but afterwards out of the blue, he had left the country without a word of goodbye. And now she had to work with him.

“Listen Selene...”

“Did you not sweep the study? How did they find my hair?” He didn't reply. “Gabriel?”

“Silly Elli.”

And just like that, memories came back like a flood overwhelming her. The old nickname had given rise to a tsunami in her heart; one she'd worked hard to hide. But in the end she couldn't help but sniff a little. Gabriel heard of course.

“Elli? Maybe I should come over-”

“Keep them off my back Leange.” And with that she hung up and stared stonily at the phone for quite some time; all the while keeping her emotions on a very short leash.

Gabriel sighed as he pressed end on his cell phone. Selene or as he'd called her before, Elli was calm and practical as ever. Besides from the small kisses and hugs she used to give him during... that time, Selene rarely showed any emotions. The sniff he had heard over the phone had startled him. His relationship with Selene was already fragile and now...

He took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose. All he wanted to do was kiss and make it better, make her better but he knew it wouldn't work. He knew her to realize that any approach from him would make her avoid him like the black plague. Thinking about her made him ache. Under her armour of practicality and efficiency, she was kind, honest and breathtakingly beautiful. Her hair was raven black so black it was almost blue. Her willowing figure and her smart mouth would attract men like honey to bees. And her eyes were like hard chips; smoky grey in colour with gold flecks.

Gabriel remembered thinking the first time they were introduced that he would never want to be on the receiving end of those eyes. But here he was and the fact that he couldn’t do much to fix their relationship made him miserable.

Gabriel Leange then made a rash decision. He picked up the phone and soon was sweet talking the secretary of Ether High School.

SnehaVee GOLD said...
SnehaVee GOLD, Ajax, Other

-T.E. Lawrence

Hell hath no fury
-Dante, Inferno

There's 2 chapters before this if you haven't read it already, and there is more of course.  It's a chapter installment so it takes a bit of time to get the next chapter online; as you read more, all of it will make sense.  I'm glad you liked it.

MidnightWriter SILVER, Ontario, Other

Writers are a less dangerous version of the career criminal. Everywhere they go, they see the potential for the perfect crime. The difference is that writers have better self control.

I'm not exactly clear as to what's going on. Did she or did she not kill her grandfather? Who is this guy? What's with the last few sentences?

I liked the part I read, but I'm asssuming there's more. I'd love to read it if there is.