Angel of Death | Teen Ink

Angel of Death

April 3, 2011
By cml3333 BRONZE, Rochester, New York
cml3333 BRONZE, Rochester, New York
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shoot for the moon for even if you miss you will land amoung the stars


The storm had finally ended. Rom was sitting in the campus library doing papers that were to be given to his professors tomorrow. He didn’t think this of all things would happen to him; after all, he was at the top of his class. He should have seen this coming.

The lights went out and everyone began to panic. Frightening screams cam from every corner. No one knew what was going on, except for Ron. He called the room to order by using the light of his phone. After all that was the only good it would do him now.

On the campus, there was amazing cellular reception. But the library was special. The walls and room were especially chosen so that all receptions would be blocked out. This way your phone wouldn’t be a distraction to you or others.
There was a sudden slam, and then a bloody scream. “The emergency doors” he thought. It made perfect sense; the power was out, the voice detectors had been set off. The school had installed hy-def security cams with voice sensors. This way if anything went wrong inside the library, all the staff and students would be “safe”. he was suddenly thrown into a flash back.
*

*

*

*
He and his sister, Emily, were sitting on a hay bale.
“I bet I can scream louder than you can,” she threatened.
“’Bet you can’t!” he dared back.
“Alright, on the count of 3. 1, 2, 3”
They both yelled their hardest and loudest that they possibly could. Holding for 10, 20, 30, 40 seconds. Emily’s face was still a normal color where as Ron’s was turning a lighter shade of blue from his lack of oxygen. Both of them had their mouths opened to full extension so as to be louder than the other. Then they stopped after a quick glance at each other, they knew what would come next, the security doors. Father had mentioned them but they never worried about them unless he was there with them.
The gears on the roof of the barn began to turn. Emily dashed for the door, not have caught her breathe yet. Ron found it safer to stay inside. Still panting, he figured he would be found eventually. He walked toward Emily who was just outside of the door which was slowly closing, the flaw that was built into the door. It was nearing the ground now.
“Come here or I won’t tell dad you’re trapped!” Emily instigated
“Yes, you will don’t lie to yourself,” Ron said. He gave her a little shove.
She went to push him back. When she did, he moved out of the way and she fell to the ground. At that very moment the world changed. Some would say that the planets had aligned or that the angle of death came down to her. But he saw it as a scaring memory that could never be taken back. The gears slipped.
The pulleys let loose and the gears turned faster than every. A high pitched squeal from the where the door met the sliding rails was admitted. The door came down at full speed crushing her vertebrate. Moments later, a gear fell and crushed her skull. The sound of the crushing bone and the squished brain echoing through his head. It seemed like the sounds would never end but eventually they did.
She was dead. She hadn’t had time to scream, or time to move now that he thought about it. It seemed as though this was destined to happen. They had been dodging danger for all of their lives. Always taking a risk they knew would eventually affect them forever.
She laid there now, body limp. Head bleeding so much that it was only a matter of time that all her blood would be on the floor. It seemed like the blood was a trail of sadness pouring from her body, taunting him. Arms extended and head resting on her chin. Her blue shirt starting to turn purple from the blood, eyes starting to glaze over. He began to ask himself why it was him that lived. Why he survived the falling door and she suffered for his actions. Knowing he would never be the same again, he went sat down. Trying to gather information about what time it was how he would escape, and what time his parents would be home.
He cried for hours on end. No one had come to his rescue yet no matter how hard he screamed. The closest neighbors were a mile away; and neither of his parents was home.
The doors were supposed t o be a new protection system, not a death trap.
He would sit in the same spot for three days wondering when help was going to come, but it never did. There was a window, unguarded and not blocked, in the left back corner. Ron took a wrench to it and shattered the glass into pieces.
As he crawled out he fell to the ground hard.
His parents would open the door, have them removed, and burn Emily’s body; they wouldn’t talk about her and took down any picture wit her in it.
The house became a grim place. Ron would avoid that establishment at all costs unless he required food or somewhere to sleep. Not only was the house of the verge of foreclosure, his father had become an abusive-fat-drunk and was nearing a divorce.
He learned not only to fend for himself, but how to earn money and how to spend it.
*

*

*

*

Everyone jumped. They ran toward the scream to see what had happened but it was already clear to everyone. They just needed clarification.
While following the trails of cell phone lights and cries of frightened freshmen, he found where they had all gathered. There was a dead body on the floor between the security door and the oak-wood floor. The trail of blood was beginning to flow toward the sci-fi section of the building. There was no other way to help her other than to close her eyes, out of respect.
He knew the victim; she had been a friend from the past, one of the few who actually understood him and what he was going through. It was a shame that she died so tragically by a security door.
They mopped up most of the blood but nothing could prepare them for what came next. The beam structure broke, the rain came in and more screams were admitted. There was the loud crack of book cases and computers being split into pieces.
“I didn’t think it could get worst than things already were” he muttered to himself
The transformer, that had obviously failed, had fallen through the roof. Cables were lying on the floor, tempting the electrocution of some stupid kids. He knew that they wouldn’t have much time now. They hunger pains started to kick in. it had now been 4 ½ hours now since they became locked in. And by the way things looked; the cold damp air and the pains might be the last thing he might ever feel. There was no food, no power, and no sunlight.
*BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP.* he looked at his phone. It came up with a message that warned him of a low battery, sooner or later this was bound to happen to everyone’s phone. Then his mind began to race:

Who would die next?

Would they ever be found?

Would emergency power be used, if any?

When would everyone’s phone die?
Every question scared him more and more. They were going to die here; a slow, cold, painful death. It was like the Holocaust without a dictator or guards.

*

*

*

*

Or was it? You see all this time, Ron and company had believed this was just a tragic accident happening to them. But little did they know that worst thing was happening to the kids at the school:

The security doors had gone off there too but not because of screaming.

Cellular reception had somehow been disabled.

The dean and the students and staff were all conveniently locked up.
They were like rats in a maze but with nowhere to go.

When in reality, they were most definitely wrong.

*

*

*

*

Pacing back and forth, he talked to himself. They only had 3 choices of hopeful survival:

Starvation

Cannibalism

Burning the building down
He told the others his ideas and they all decided on trying to burn the building down and hope to survive.

They took out the lighter and attempted to burn many books to get the fire going but it was no use. Everything was to wet and soggy. Faces fell and looks of distraught and worried people started to approach the security doors. Thinking that if they hit them loud enough, that someone passing by, would be able to save them.

He offered the suggestion of starvation; after all, nobody should have to be harmed because of a problem in the circuitry of the building. It was agreed that they would attempt starvation.

*

*

*

*
END OF DAY 1
*

*

*

*
END OF DAY 2
*

*

*

*
BEGINNING OF DAY 3:

It was the third day they had been trapped. Nowhere to go, nothing to do, and still no power. The only new thing was the transformer had finally broken to pieces. Not that this would help their cause.

People read to each other and had been doing lots of sleeping. Some had even built their own “shanty towns”, b relocating bookcases. Some even became so hungry that they started to eat paper, but stopped just as quickly as they had started.

There was only one bathroom. One putrid smelling, slime covered, running out of toilet paper, bathroom. You can only imagine the fights there were over who went and when they could.

Two people even wound up committing suicide. Jake Hop’s and Richard Noy’s. Hop’s had been so hungry that he took a phone cord and suffocated himself to death. Richard on the other hand, had severe depression and was schizophrenic. He ripped the pages out of books and stuffed them down his throat and also suffocated.

Sarah Michaels’s and Sarah Roon’s were a different story. It was rumored that they had never liked each other and that was that. But Wednesday night, that all changed. Sarah had gone too far this time, calling Donna dirty names. When she turned around, Donna took a computer to Sarah’s head. Making it almost as violent as when the gear fell on Emily’s head. Just as much blood, but this time it wasn’t an “accident”.

After they managed to pin Donna to the ground, they disposed of all the rest of the computers and accessories by locking them in the small room in the back for holds. This way there would be few incidents. Originally they considered locking Donna herself in the backroom all alone. But then they thought it would be just plain cruel.

Five others also died some from hypothermia and another died from inhaling too much of a toxic sharpie.

*

*

*

*
END OF DAY 4
*

*

*

*
BEGINNING OF DAY 5


Another day has begun, no one’s come to rescue anyone let alone Ron. At this point everyone who was stuck in this demon building, was plotting the others demise. Later tonight 3 more students will die of starvation.

*

*

*

*
END OF DAY 6
*

*

*

*
BEGINNING OF DAY 7


Yesterday was a busy day for Ron and his new friend Jen. She was a chemical engineer major with a minor in medicine. Whereas Ron was a business major with no minor.

Yesterday and this morning a total of 12 students and staff members died. Some had contracted hypothermia whereas others had starved to death. Now the only people left alive were Jen and Ron. They were currently going through peoples’ bags and purses looking for things like food and sweatshirts, but they had little success.

*

*

*

*
DAY 8
*

*

*

*
DAY 9
*

*

*

*
DAY 10
*

*

*

*
DAY 11
*

*

*

*
BEGINNING OF DAY 12


Jen couldn’t stop shivering. Day and night, even when the sun was out, Ron would always find her ice cold.

Her vital organs were slowly beginning to shut down. One by one she was becoming the walking dead. First her kidneys, then her liver, heart, and finally her brain. She was dying more and more each day by freezing.

On the 12th day of their captivity, Jen died from hypothermia. Ron sat there, not knowing what to do.

He stood and walked over to her bag. She was dead, he was hungry, there was no use in saving the food for her or letting it go to waste. He was frozen with shock when he opened her bag. There was a mountain of food. “How had she found all of this?” he asked himself.

Not that anyone would answer though because he was the only living soul left. He was all alone now and it was only a matter of time before he would join the rest.

*

*

*

*
DAY 13
*

*

*

*
DAY 14
*

*

*

*
BEGINNING OF DAY 15

Ron had had enough. He was lonely, starving, talking to himself, and freezing. It was time for it all to end. He grabbed the keys to the back room.

Jen had been on an anti-depressant and had some water left. So he could become calm enough to do this, he took the pills for relaxation. He took a mouse cord from the back room hoping it would be strong enough for him to hang from.

Then it was all over. He committed suicide and no one would ever know. But I would. I knew about the 25 people who had died in that library.

Did you honestly think I made this story up? Let me properly introduce myself. I am the Angel of Death. You might have heard stories about me. They are all true. I come in many different forms:
-
Old people
-
Animals
-
Dust
-
Or sometimes I just float around in the form of a spirit.
I have done things you can only imagine. This story is only one example of that. You see, this college is actually a boarding school. For the kids and teenagers whose parents really didn’t want them. No one would miss them if they died. I was bored the other day and decided to pay them a visit. I set off all the security doors, I took everyone’s souls, convinced them to commit suicide. Yes it was all me; but you can never get revenge on me. You know why? Because we are playing Russian roulette and I am the only one who knows where the bullet is.


The author's comments:
It turns out that I really can be quite a positive person. But it doesn't help that I enjoy books about death and I am amazingly interested in anatomy. My English teacher is a real inspiration to me. No matter what teachers have always believed in me even when I myself can't. I know that this story has some plot problems, grammatical errors, and some confusing sections. But what can I say, I'm only 14 and I still have time to fix things and become a better writer. Hope you enjoyed!