The Good Doctor | Teen Ink

The Good Doctor

July 28, 2011
By Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois
Danealle SILVER, Wheeling, Illinois
7 articles 0 photos 119 comments

Favorite Quote:
Anything is possible with a smile and goal in mind.


The police sirens wailed behind us, but my captor was not about to slow down. My abhorrent abductor, Dr. Joseph Blaine; was our family’s doctor for the past 20 years. It was close to midnight and pitch black outside. It seemed even the moon was too terrified to be out. I was sitting with my hands bound by ropes and my mouth gagged with one of his Hermes, monogrammed scarves.

It was raining, which made the already precipitous roads even more dangerous. As we drove farther into the chilling forest the police sirens become quieter. He drove us far into the woods. I walked these woods many times as a child. I knew every turn and could name every sound. This time was different. The moon was hidden behind dark clouds, the forest was silent, even the wind still.

The car started to slow down, he stopped in front of a cabin hidden on the south side of the woods. Dr. Blaine pulled me out of the back seat and dragged me by my hair into the cabin. He threw me down onto the cold wood floor, and then went into one of the bedrooms. I was shaking with fear, my stomach churned, I was never one for prayer, but even I found myself pleading with god.

He stayed inside the room for what seemed like hours. When the good doctor remerged he was drunk and reeked of whisky. He ran up to me and hit me! He beat me till I was more debilitated than a starving child. Once he had his fill the doctor went to bed. I just laid there on the floor. Too tired and scared to move.

The cabin seemed to get darker with each passing moment. Four hours later Dr. Blaine reemerged; he looked at me with those soulless black eyes of his. He looked hungry for flesh at that moment my heart stopped; the kind man I knew 20 years ago was no longer there…


The author's comments:
I wrote this last year for my Honors World Lit. class. The assignment was to finish the sentence with a story.