Mirror Mirror on the Wall | Teen Ink

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

By MKB17 PLATINUM, Southampton, New Jersey
MKB17 PLATINUM, Southampton, New Jersey

a day without laughter is a day wasted

“Why are you here?” I asked, my heart picking up in speed. No answer. “What do you want from me?” No answer. All I got in return was the echo of my voice on the bathroom walls, and the plunk plunk of water falling from the broken shower faucet. I reached for the edges of the sink, my knuckles changing from a reddish peach to a ghost white. I tried to gather my thoughts, contemplating how this had happened again. She said she would leave. She said she would never come back. She said I could be without her. Lies. Nothing but Lies.

“I know you’re here. You’re going to have to come out sooner or later.” I knew she was hiding; just waiting for the right moment to ambush me, where I would fall prisoner to those black eyes. Not again. Not this time. I was stronger, much, much stronger.

“Oh, but this has nothing to do with strength.” The voice, her voice; it spoke. Her icy fingers spread their way through my chest, locking my bones in place. She had paralyzed me, just like a spider would do with its prey. I tired not to, but the temptation was too much; I slowly brought my eyes to the mirror over the sink.

Her face was staring back at me. It was a horrifying sight; replaced with my sky blue eyes were her coal black slits, which were sizzling with hate. My rosy cheeks were replaced with white, pointy edges, and my simple smile was now a jagged set of fangs, grinning with an evil malice. Her oily hair fell in strings to her shoulders, instead of wavy curls spilling down her back, like mine had. This girl was not me, I thought. She was not me, and I was not her.

“That’s where you’re wrong.” My mouth moved in time with the words she spoke. “I am you, and you are me. We are the same, and you know it. Trying to shut me up is no longer okay with me. Just remember, you started this. I am just taking back what is rightfully mine.”

And with that, the girl in the mirror stepped into my body, into my soul, and took the life I had once known away from me.

MKB17 PLATINUM said...
MKB17 PLATINUM, Southampton, New Jersey

a day without laughter is a day wasted

thank you!

TouchOfARose SILVER, Winter Garden, Florida

"We all have ability. The difference is how we use it." -Stevie Wonder

This is extremely well written! You did great on this. I love the suspense, and the inner struggle of the girl. Awesome, 5/5!