Mr. Linden's Library | Teen Ink

Mr. Linden's Library

May 26, 2012
By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
41 articles 0 photos 8 comments

“ He had warned her about the book, now it was too late…” Sandy L. Royal went to the old library. All she needed was a suspenseful book for an English project.

She thought this would be the perfect place, the old library. It was so creepy and there was a rumor that somebody had gone in and never came out. Nobody ever came here any more now that the new library was built just across town.

Did Sandy believe all those scary rumors? No, of course not. She thought she was really brave and smart because she didn’t.

She walked inside and headed straight for the mystery section. The library was empty, except for the librarian, as she had expected. She looked for the scariest book she could find. When she took a book out she jumped. Why, you may ask… well, it was because she saw an old man’s face on the other side through the space where the book used to be.

The man appeared from nowhere, he was not there when she entered and she didn’t see anybody come in that afternoon. The man said, “Don’t check out that book young lady, it will scare you out of your wits”. Sandy answered, “ No book scares me, it is not like they are real.” With that she turned around and left. She figured this would probably be the scariest book they had from what the man said.

That night before she went to bed she started reading her book. She was so engrossed in it she did not want to go to sleep. Eventually she fell asleep with the book in her lap.



When she woke up in the morning she felt odd. Then she realized a vine was growing from the book! They were rapping themselves around her. She ripped them off and did the smart thing. She ran out of the room screaming.
In a couple minutes after she had built up the courage she came back in and realized the vines had covered her room and were starting to cover her house. She realized she had to find that man.
She went back to the library to find that old man. Surely, and oddly, enough he was still sitting there. Sandy went and asked the man what to do. He said he had warned her and that it was too late. She said,” It can’t be too late, I have to save my house”. He said,” Well there is one way, but I can’t reveal it”. “But you have to.” said Sandy. “Ok”, he said,” but you have to go to sleep”. She sat down on a chair and went to sleep. The man woke her up and said it is fixed but if it happens again it is irreversible. She could not tell how long she had been asleep but when the man woke her up it was getting dark. She thanked him again and again and asked him how he did it. He said he would not tell and to take warnings more seriously next time. She said she would and to come to her house so she could pay him. He refused at first and eventually gave in. he went with her into her house. She told him to wait in the living room while she went to get her purse. When she came back he was gone. Sandy looked all over the house and couldn’t find him. She kept an eye out for him for the rest of her life, but he had disappeared and nobody ever has seen or heard of him again. Sandy never went back to the old library again.