Scarred | Teen Ink

Scarred

By CookieMonster24 PLATINUM, Delhi, Other
CookieMonster24 PLATINUM, Delhi, Other

I was staring at the door with my eyes half closed. I was alone that night. Moonlight spilled into my room through the window. I knew what I was looking for.
I saw my door knob turn slowly. I gasped and lifted my head up from the pillow. It’d been going on for weeks now.
Mum peeked stealthily from behind the half open door.
“Mum?” I called out. “I thought you both were gone,”
“You’re still awake?” She said in a hoarse whisper.
“Well, yeah!” I sprang up on my bed.
“Listen, we’re leaving now. Are you two going to be okay?” She asked.
“That depends on the level of stupidity I’m exposed to!” I snapped and crossed my arms over my chest.
My mum sighed wearily, “Good night, Jenna.” She said and closed the door behind her.

I crept down to the living room as soon as I heard their car roar away. It’d been snowing all afternoon. I sat on the couch, tucked up under a warm blanket, and turned the TV on.
By midnight, my parents were still not home.

I was beginning to fall asleep when my eyes got stuck to the window, that was right behind the TV. I quickly leaned forward and squinted to have a better look. I noticed something moving outside the window. I shifted uncomfortably. And my heart pounded in my chest.

Through the darkness, I could make out the figure of a giant man. He was abnormally big in size. As my eyes got adjusted, my heart filled with horror. His face was hideously scarred, his eyes wild and crazy, and a malicious grin played on his mouth. Slowly, I pulled the blanket over my head and tried to stay as still as I could, so he would think I was just a pile of blanket sitting on the couch.

A couple of minutes passed. I tried to peer out through a hole with one eye. He was still there. Staring directly at me with his piercing gaze. A chill ran down my spine. The man reached into his coat and pulled something out. A long knife.

I was terrified. I managed to move my hand slowly over to the pocket and pulled out my phone. Pressing the buttons in panic, I dialed 911 and held my breath as I waited for an answer.
“What’s your emergency?” A voice asked.
“Th—There’s a man. A big man outside my window. And…and he’s got a knife..p-please come quickly.” I whispered.

I sat motionless under the blanket. Minutes ticked by. Eventually, I heard sirens outside and police started banging on my door.
I pulled off the blanket and rushed to the front door, letting the two officers inside. They said they had seen no trace of anyone outside my house.

“But he was right there!” I insisted, pointing out the window.
The female officer shook her head, “That’s not possible. If there was someone out there, they would have left footprints.”

“You know, your eyes can play tricks on you. Have you been watching scary movies?” Said the male police officer.
The officers turned to leave when, all of a sudden, the female officer stopped dead in her tracks. She pulled back the couch I was had been sitting on. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened.
I followed her gaze and gasped in horror.
On the carpet, behind the couch, there was a trail of wet footprints and a discarded knife.

“You weren’t looking at the man outside the window,” The female officer said. “You were looking at his reflection. He was standing right behind you all along.”

Beautifully written. Nothing I would change. Great job

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

WOW!! talk about talent!

CrowOfRuination PLATINUM, Lawrence, Kansas

You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with. -Wayne Dyer
Leading those who have followed a greater leader without knowing what it is you are doing is the same as wielding a sword against a master of weapons. -Kreepy

I don't often see a good horror story, and seeing this has made my day, night, and entire week. Thank you dearly for the delightfully horrid chills.

maelstrom14 GOLD, Oak Habor, Washington

let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments...etc

Its only rated a four because you scarred me 0.o

on Jun. 13 2013 at 2:38 am
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

Didnt expect the ending XD really really good.

on Jun. 9 2013 at 3:55 am
lackadaisicalwolf, Asdf, Other
This is really good, and scary DX

on Jun. 9 2013 at 12:39 am
bethanyebethany BRONZE, Clinton, Tennessee

"I would love to be made perfect, but instead, I have the grace of God." -Audio Adrenaline

Wow, that's creepy! great idea! :D

on Jun. 8 2013 at 3:53 am
CookieMonster24 PLATINUM, Delhi, Other
Lol, thanks. Um, I honestly don't know. It just happened. :P

on Jun. 7 2013 at 9:26 am
Xandy_Day PLATINUM, Lexington, Kentucky

"I'm living in a world of goldfish."

God, that is so creepy! I love it :) how'd you come up with it?

Zach_M said...
I have to say, this took a turn did not expect. You did a phenomenal job. Honestly, It gave me small chills, because I put myself in that little girls place. I could not imagine the horror of such a feeling taking place. You did a great job with this.

Tizzy BRONZE said...
Tizzy BRONZE, Dhaka, Other

I sleep to much, parents complain. I sleep less, parents complain. I go out too much, parents complain. I don't go out too much, parents complain. I play games too much, parents complain. I play games less, parents complain. I CANT WIN!

I LOVE IT!! NO DOUBTS!

TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

First dentistry was painless.
Then bicycles were chainless,
Carriages were horseless,
And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless,
And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy was hatless,
The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religion — godless.

I freakin loved this! i love the twist at the end!

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
Oh my! Great twist at the end! Left a shiver down my spine! Great imagery. Keep writing!!!!!

Hamzawaseem GOLD, Lahore, Other

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." ~Einstein

I love this story. it was thrilling and teeming with suspense. 5 Stars! 

xxMedievalShadexx GOLD, Deerfield Beach, Florida

Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. -Bruce Lee

wow... i will never be alone ever again in my house... o.O amazing though... really...

SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other

Can you feel what I have seen, when no one else has lived through what I have?-HalveOfLife

----sunny---

ChocolateLove SILVER, Warsaw, Other
amazing article, really gave me the chills :)

allhallowsevekatie PLATINUM, Hampden, Massachusetts

"Believe me nothing is trivial"(The Crow)

amazing i loved it its really cool and gave me the chills

SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other

i luv this it is a real thriller !!