Wood Stove | Teen Ink

Wood Stove

By BeatnikLover GOLD, Farson, Wyoming
BeatnikLover GOLD, Farson, Wyoming

"Here growing up means murdering your dreams, cutting your hair, and going to work. All this so you can live in a miserably boring house with a miserably boring family and then be deemed 'successful.'"

Fires boomed in fierce explosions as far as the eyes could see and the ears could hear. No one said this was hell, no one said anything for that matter, but there was no other explanation for thas horrendous sight. Bright orange and red light illuminated the entire facility. Here these were not warm colors, but searing, painful colors for they were not made by dyed light-bulbs, but enormous fires. Grand mountains of flame, burning from the beginning of time and into eternity, produced ear-splitting ground-shaking booms and bursts. That smell! Oh, the terrible smell! Burning brimstone overwhelmed the nose all the way into the brain, where it would continue to sear and destroy every receptor. Through dry bloodshot eyes one could witness the moisture of every object being robbed of water, down to the very last drop. Dry, charred remains scattered the brimstone floors.

Oh, the inhabitants of this vicious torture chamber! In the front were the freshman of the land, screaming and pleading as they set about their various toils in the flames. As one advanced through the inferno on the infinitesimal brimstone paths the slaves became more silent, more compliant, and even dutiful in their labors. At the very end of the road, as all things have some end or another, were the world’s first sinners robotically who worked with their skeletal bodies as flames licked and bit at their callused skins. These ancient residents were inaudible and unquestioning.

Although fire dominated the view when facing the back, the other three sides were even more torturous to look at. Some fire resistant picture was displayed here of a cozy living room where occasionally a pleasant family was portrayed. Everyone, even those freshmen, knew they would never feel that sweet, cool air they so longed for. Unattainable happiness set right before the prisoners was a worse punishment than the harshest labors or the hottest fires. All the sad, beat residents carried on, trying to chip away at an eternity that could never be chipped away at, forever and ever.

A content family gathered round their stove for the evening meal. Discussing the day’s little hardships and funny stories all of them were amazed at the extraordinary heat emanating from their wood stove.