Follow Me, Forever | Teen Ink

Follow Me, Forever

By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania

"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."

I saw her dying.
And with this, I knew it was my fault. I couldn't help but stare at the horror of another lost soul, knowing that I could not do anything to save her. I grasped her tiny hand in mine, crying, and squeezing her tighter, trying to keep her here with me.
But she was a lost cause.
Her soul, so fragile and broken lifted loosely through the air and stopped to glance at me, thoughtfully. Her words, so soft yet accusing echoed through my head,"You said forever, remember?"
Clutching my chest, I staggered away, gasping. I had promised her the world, promised her my life without complaint, but gave her nothing.
I had given her absolutely nothing.
"Forever..." She whispered, reaching for me. As if I deserved her sympathy, her love. Her broken figure lay dead, cold, in the middle of the street. Blood trailed our escape from the crushed vehicle just twenty feet away. And her spirit was not two spaces from me, coming to get what she was promised.
Touching my cheek with her ghostly hand, I felt the frost the was left behind.
It was as cold as my heart...
"Come," she whispered.
I took a step back, nearly collapsing.
"Come, Daniel..."
Again, I stepped away until I had reached the tree line that lead into the dusky forest. As I stepped back once more, a new force overtook me, blocking my lungs and pulling me to my knees.
"Come, Daniel!!"
The entity, flaring with the blackest hair and the darkest eyes reached for me, her nails clawing my face and angling down as if to kiss me.
Her breath whisked my face, and it was sour, her blood was black and murky. Her face was gray and non-angelic. She was a stranger.
"Annie?" I whispered.
This creature smiled, dark and sinister. She was no longer Annie, and she would not show me mercy.
She would bring me the Hell I deserved.
"Forever, right Daniel?!"
My heart was being pulled out, claws kissing my skin and breaking my bones. I was screaming.
"Forever!!!"
Hell opened up around me.
To be continued...