A Forgotten Night | Teen Ink

A Forgotten Night

March 12, 2014
By PaigeFromm BRONZE, Hartford, South Dakota
PaigeFromm BRONZE, Hartford, South Dakota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As she began to regain consciousness, she noticed that she was hurt badly on her head and ached all over her body. The room was dark and cold, and she couldn’t quite make out the objects in the room. In fact she couldn’t really see anything for that matter. The more she realized that she was not going to see where she was at, the more terrified she became. She tried to scream, but no sound came out. She tried again, and again, and again, but still not sound came from her.

As she lifted her hands to pull whatever was covering her eyes off of her face, she realized that her hands were bound together. In her hands she felt something cold and sharp. Out of frustration she clamped down on the mysterious object with her hands, she immediately regretted doing that. She felt a warm sensation ooze over her hands, and felt sharp pains in her palms. Using this method, she continued to put pressure on her hands, hoping that it would break apart the bind holding her hands together. Feeling dizzy after doing this for so long, she realized it was because she was losing too much blood.

After the final force of her hands against the object, she felt her hands break free of the tie. Slowly and carefully, she raised her hands towards her eyes so that she could see. Not only was something stuck to her eyes, but also she could also feel the confined area she was thrown into. It felt like a moist, wood box of some sort. She suddenly felt confined, and also felt very alone. In this case, she didn’t want to be alone. She needed help, fast.

Without being able to see, she couldn’t try and break out of the box she was in and figure out how badly she had been hurt. Thinking back, she tried to remember what exactly happened to her, but she couldn’t remember anything at all. Feeling around the box, she searched for the sharp object. It didn’t take long before she grabbed ahold of it and fiercely swung it at her eyes. Missing the first attempt, the object sank deeply into her forehead. Slowly, she wiggled it out and aimed again. The covering over her eyes was thick and had a rubber-like texture. She missed only two more times, then she hit the object covering her eyes. It began to wear off the more she scratched at it, and soon she could peel it off.

When she peeled the rubber-like texture off of her eyes, she was revealed to a note stuck to the box. She began to read, but her eyes couldn’t adjust fast enough for her to read it so she just laid there waiting until she could see again. After patiently laying there, she could finally see well enough to read. The note read, “Doomed from the beginning, you should have listened to your mother and father. You shouldn’t have gone to the party for you have dug your own grave. Now you must lay in it forever. Help will never come, for you are forgotten among society.”

It was at that moment that she realized she wasn’t just in a box. The box she thought she had been in was actually a dirty, used and half-rotten coffin. Taking in deep breaths, she tried to remain calm. She could tell that she was using her limited oxygen almost to the fullest. As she was taking deep breaths, she tried to recall what this note was talking about. A party? Digging my own grave? She had not even the slightest bit of memory of her night.

Looking down at what she was wearing, she saw that she was dressed in a white, lace dress that she had never seen before. The white dress was smeared with blood and dirt. Unsure if it was her own blood, she began to panic. She had no memory of the events that happened that night, so she was scared of what she might have done.

As she glanced around the coffin she noticed a glimmer of light coming from the bottom. She wedged herself so that her head was at the end of the coffin where the light was coming from. Peering through the hole, all she could see were two silhouettes against the light. They were talking in low voices and pointing to the coffin she was in. She felt that they were looking directly at her, so she moved away from the hole. The two talking didn’t even see her looking through the hole, they were just pointing at the coffin as they were talking.

The whispers were now loud enough for her to hear bits and pieces of the conversation. There was a man and a woman discussing the coffin. It seemed like they were arguing over what should happen to the coffin, but finally came to some sort of conclusion. They walked away in unison and starting talking about something else. This time she couldn’t hear what they were saying, so she just continued to peer through the hole to figure out where exactly she was at. From what she could see, it looked like she was at a dump, but in a garage or shed that separated her from the waste.


Just as she started to crack open the coffin, the man and woman returned to the shed. Together, they grabbed each end of the coffin and lifted it onto a cart that was going to transport her somewhere. She kept overhearing the woman say that she was worried someone would see them. The man reassured her that no one was in sight or even in the same area as they were. She stayed put after hearing this, because even if she did get out, where would she go to?

Through the hole, she could see that she was being put into the back of a funeral car. As soon as she was secured into the car and the door shut, she used all of her might to crack open the coffin. Unfortunately for her, it was padlocked at the latch. She searched for something to break the padlock with, then she remembered the mysterious object she had used to break her hands and eyes free. With a large force she slammed the object onto the lock, and repeated this process until it finally broke free.

Once she was out of the coffin, she hid in the back of the vehicle and carefully looked out the back window to see if she was in a familiar area. She noticed that she was in her neighborhood, so she quickly opened the back door of the car and rolled out of the moving car. As soon as she did this, the car slammed on it’s brakes. She didn’t look back at all, she just ran to her house as fast as she could. Once she arrived to her house, she noticed the doors were locked so she rang the doorbell frantically until her parents showed up at the door.

Her parents casually answered the door and asked if she was lost. Taken back by this, she said that she broke free from her potential murderers. Her parents looked at each other in confusion and with concern. They didn‘t recognize her at all, in fact they had no memory of her at all. She was so devastated that she broke down in tears right on the spot. She couldn’t understand how they could go from being her parents earlier that day to not knowing who she was. If her own parents didn’t know who she was, then she got to thinking, no one will know who I am.

The parents called the police to help her out, they were concerned and scared for her. When the police arrived they immediately put her into handcuffs. The blood and dirt on her clothes made the police suspicious, not to mention how insane she looked. She was taken to the police station and questioned multiple times. Each time she told the police the same thing, that she had no memory of what happened and that she just thought she went to sleep and woke up in a coffin. From that point on the police found that it was best for her to go to an insane asylum.

The first day at the insane asylum, all she did was tell everyone that she isn’t crazy. She was so angry that everyone thought she was making this all up, or just dreaming it. She would scream at the nurses and force them to take the pills she was issued to take. Since she was out of control, she was put into the maximum security room and was forced to wear a straightjacket all the time.

That night the nurses and security took their rounds with checking the rooms. When they came to her room, they only found the broken straightjacket and a blood trail. They followed the trail, and it led to the head person in charge of the asylum. They were killed by a forced overdose of the pills issued to the patients. She was wanted in the surrounding area, but no one ever did find her or find out what else she had done that night she went insane.