Gasping for Air | Teen Ink

Gasping for Air

By kenzyc_ BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina
kenzyc_ BRONZE, Simpsonville, South Carolina

"Who wants to become a writer? Because its the answer to everything... a reason for living. To note, pin down, build up, create, to be astonished at nothing, cherish the odds, to make a great flower out of this life, even if ts a cactus." Enid Bagnold

I looked at her inert body lying on the floor before me. How could I have let this happen? I could of stopped it but, I didn't. I didn't call for help, I didn't even try to stop it, I didn't move. What's wrong with me? I'm not even moving now. I can't. I really can't.
I'm gasping for air. With each breath I take, it seems to be getting harder and harder. All I can think is why it happened to her? I should be the one of the ground. I should be the one who left this earth. I don't even have a reason to be here anymore. My best friend. my only friend, is gone.
Why am I still sitting here? How long has it been? How long will it be before I grow the strength to stand up?
I think I hear footsteps. I'm still unable to move even if it's just to turn my head. My eyes can't seem to look away from her. It's the way that her expression is now completely gone from her face. Even her red curls seem to have no life anymore. The fact that so much blood came from one body. From one innocent and helpless body. So even if the killer himself were to walk up behind me, I wouldn't mind. Take me too! You've already taken the biggest part of me.
Someone taps me on the shoulder and I jump. The person comes in front of me and disrupts my view.
"Are you okay ma'm?" the deep voice asks. I try to move my lips but they seem frozen in place. I feel like the life has been sucked out of me too, just like it was out of her. I sense the stranger picking me up and he starts to carry me away. The whole time I keep my eyes on the girl who was my only friend, until her image starts to slowly fade away.
Then I'm finally able to whisper, "Goodbye Grace. Forever."

If you have any suggestions on things I can add? This is definitely not a finished piece, just wanted to stop there and see what you guys think?