Masks | Teen Ink

Masks

May 1, 2014
By KGilbert SILVER, Oxford, Michigan
KGilbert SILVER, Oxford, Michigan
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Satisfaction is the Death of Desire - CM Punk


Every time I get angry, I tell myself the same thing over and over again. I’m merely clawing at my cage. I’ve created this cage to keep myself safe from this merciless world. It is a world that I’ve come to pity. By day, it is colorless. A suburban of black and white, buildings littered with imperfections, left to decay. The roads I used to walk along are nothing more than the fragile bones of the land. Even the plants have become a subject of disappointment, their dried out forms stretch across the distance, blotching out the dark brown soil. But by night, the world awakens. The people become elusive shadows, dancing in the pale moonlight. But as they come out, the more savage they become. No human is real anymore, we all wear a mask. It is our state of mind, our personality, our whole being, it is our armor. It is what we use to protect ourselves. But that might not be the case for all. We all use our masks for different purposes. But most wear them for destructive purposes, to hide the misery of living in this bleak world. I force myself to wear the mask as well. It is the fake smile I show my friends, and the false respect for my family and elders. I feel nothing for the people around me. I have isolated myself in ignorant bliss. I am isolated in my cage. I don’t know a single human who doesn’t use a mask, besides the ones on the other side.

Beyond the gates of this hell, there’s a place where color exists. The lands flourish with grasses, plants, and flowers of rich color. Houses are well kept, standing peacefully beside trees that gently sway as the wind rushes through their branches. Even the people are vivid. They awaken at sunrise, and go about their day. They are friendly with one another, without the need of a mask or a false personality. They are actually human. They aren’t like us.

There hasn’t been a day where I didn’t think of jumping the gate. I don’t even know why our two worlds are separated. They must have put the gate up before I was born. I was never told why they’re there. Perhaps they haven’t told me since they don’t know. Even if I did jump the gate, how would they even react to us? Would they treat us like how they treat the other people on that side? Or would they look at us like monsters, wondering why we come out at night or why we wear these visages? Perhaps it would be for the best for us to stay on our sides of the gate. For those on the other side to live out their colorful lives, and for us to keep wearing these masks, to stay inside our cage.


The author's comments:
A dystopian society. one of color and one in shades of grey. the thoughts of one of the members who live on the dark side