A Famous Zombie Takeover | Teen Ink

A Famous Zombie Takeover

May 2, 2014
By zanman_95 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
zanman_95 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A Famous Zombie Takeover




It was 9:15 pm on a very damp friday at famous footwear. Outside looked like the newly built red stone building had been given a bath. I was finishing some cleaning in the children’s section of the store, which is located in the back end of the store. That is also where one would find the door leading to the break room. Both pale and eerie the back door always spooked me, but once past it the coffee stained smell of the break room always reassured me it was a normal room. Out of the blue I heard a “Slam ” noise, the break room door had been violently shut. I nervously creeped over to the door to investigate who or what went back there in such a hurry. Couldn't have been my manager Laura she was up front closing up the register.

“Hey did you hear that?” I asked Laura through the walkie-talkie.

“Hear what?” she replied.

“Well now she's no help,” I said under my breath.

As I got closer to the back door a whiff of rotten meat filled my nose. Opening the door unleashed the wretched smell ambushing my nose. I nearly vomited, but I covered my nose with the collar of my shirt. “What died back here!” I yelled over the walkie. Laura replied but was unheard because the static sound of the battery dying in the walkie. “crap,” just as I said that the break room’s light had been cut off and I was shrouded in darkness, along with this the sound of feet slapping on the cold tile.

“Who’s the-” I was interrupted by a figured emerging from the shadows and tackling me! We wrestled around on the ground and he had me pinned me down, but I swung my fist and connected with his rough, foaming face. He made a loud groan noise and rolled off me.

I ran to the broomstick and started to unscrew the bristles from the stick itself. The man stood up and the lights began to flicker. I saw the horrific details of a man that looked dead. His skin was a dry grey color accompanied by random scabs and cuts,and his face was missing much of it’s skin and a yellow foam seeped from his mouth. He was wearing a red nike track suit and only one shoe. Spitting the vile foam as he yelled his battle cry he charged me and I waited ready to swing. He came closer and I swung the stick like a bat exploding his head when it hit. It was disgusting as his blood splattered the walls, some covered my face.

I desperately tried to wipe it off and ran to the telephone, but the line was cut and the phone couldn't even be dialed. “Crash” the sound of the front windows of the store being broken could be heard even from the back. Almost as if a bomb had gone off. I sprinted to see what was going on.

As I opened the door to go back into the store I was blinded by a bright light, that also caused me to fall over. One of the ceiling lights had been knocked down and was still intact but was hanging by a thread. I brushed it to my side and pulled out my cell phone to use the flashlight since the rest of the store was dark. As the light adjusted I saw a sea of red eyes glaring at me. “No, this can't be happening” I ran back to the break room and was being chased by the horde of zombies. I put the old metal shoe rack in front of the door to help barricade them from getting to me.

All of a sudden I fell to the ground and began throwing up blood. My head started ringing and my insides began having sharp pain. Then it hit me I was turning into a zombie, but how could this be? “The blood from earlier, some got in my mouth” I was doomed but I began to dial my parents to tell them I loved them. They answered and we shared our last few moments together with tears and laughter, I told them I would try to make it home if I could then hung up.

“I’m not dying in here ” I proclaimed. With the bloody broomstick in hand I swung open the door and one by one I fought off the undead as if my life depended on it, because it did. Lifeless bodies fell to the floor as I struck each one in the head with a violent crack of the broomstick. Finally I made it to the front of the store and out into the open. I looked for my car that I parked in the front side of the parking lot. It was gone.

“Damn,” I thought to myself.

I started for the Walmart parking lot that was just north of the plaza where I worked. From every direction I heard the sounds of bloody screams and shrieks for help, accompanied by the pop of gun shots being fired.

In the distance I saw a Ford F 150 with the door open and it was running! I sprinted as fast as I could to the truck. I was gonna make it, everything would be alright now. But a zombie popped up hanging onto the tailgate. I swerved and tried to shake the thing off the truck, but nothing was working. I hit the highway going about ninety miles per hour and the zombie flew out of the back, hitting the asphalt road of the highway nasty green and red blobed guts splattered just like paint being splattered on canvas.

The trip was finally over and I was pulling into my driveway, my neighborhood had not been affected too much yet, dispite the lines of cars leaving to get out of town. I swung open the door and saw my family frantically getting everything to take with us, family photos, computers, and survival supplies. Once they saw me we all hugged and begun to cry. I looked at my parents and said

“Looks like I kept my promise mom and dad, I made it.”