Selene | Teen Ink

Selene

July 24, 2014
By AshhKel BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
AshhKel BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." - Ronald Reagan


Selene waved to her friends as she walked down the streets towards her house. Her house was a huge, white home with bricks and a light pink door. She had always been skeptical of the exterior design but she had never been one to criticize what she could not control. She always went in through the back door because the front door was always difficult for her to open.

Nobody was home, but that was not out of the ordinary. She sat down and grabbed a box of cereal and a bowl with some milk. She shared the house with two other families, but she always found them to be unfriendly since they never responded to her greetings. Nonetheless, she kept trying to gain their friendship whenever possible.

Selene was adopted as a child by two extremely loving parents who both had a scar in the exact same place. A large, gruesome scar covered their foreheads, but they told her that they had been in a serious car accident before she was born. Her other brother, Timmy, was adopted too. They lived very happily together as a family and always tried to bond with the rest of the other people in the neighborhood.

Selene had decided to take a nap until the loud sound of the shutting door woke her up. She got up quickly and saw her parents coming home. She ran over to them and hugged them.

“How was your day, sweetheart?”
“It was alright. Not much to do here, really.”
“Oh, we know that.”

Selene decided to help her parents with the groceries while something kept pestering her mind. She knew it was disrespectful to ask her parents something so extreme, but the suspense was killing her and she needed to know immediately.


“Mom, dad? Can I ask you both something?”

“Yes, of course, honey!”


Selene took a deep breath and inhaled loudly.


“Why do the other families in this house and some of our neighbors ignore me and act like they can’t see me when I’m standing right next to them? It’s pretty rude if you ask me.”


Her parents looked at each other and her mother grabbed onto the edge of the sink for support. With a deep breath she nodded at her husband and looked back at the eager Selene.


“Honey… you were a stillborn.”