Moving Out the Hood | Teen Ink

Moving Out the Hood

By dylan morton BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
dylan morton BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware

As I look out the window of the plane leaving the hood and my friends behind, I’m wondering if I will have a better life in Atlanta then in Wilmington. I’m going to chase my music career and become a Music Promoter and I didn’t want to take any of my friends with me I wanted to leave them behind. I want the money, the fame, the women, and all my friends will do is hold me back. I’m tired of selling dope just to put food on the table and a roof over my head. As I plug my headphones in and lean back in my chair and vibe to some Lil Snupe and doze off into the night sky I wonder how my life gonna change…..
I woke up to the bright sun glare bouncing off the window into my eyes, as my eyes widened I was amazed at the tall buildings. It’s nothing like Wilmington. I walked off the plane glowing I felt like a new man. I called my mans kur up and told him when we gonna get started he responded “ASAP! we needa get this money get this work done you know the grind never stop come down to the studio.”
I told him” On my way! Lets get it!”.
I hopped in my benz and turned the volume all the way up the sound of kur bounced off glass to glass to glass in my car and I sped off on to the highway on my way to the studio ready to get this money. I rode up into the parking lot of the studio my mans Kur was waiting outside. I parked the car and got out and said “What’s up bro” and gave him a handshake.
He replied, “What’s good little bro you ready to get this work done?”
I replied excitedly and said, “Hell yeah bro! I’m ready to make money.”
He said happily, “Lets get it!”
We walked into the studio and thats the day my life changed forever.

***

Three months have passed since that day and as I sit up in my penthouse counting my hundreds I felt very alone. I had wondered how my bros were doing and called up my mans Timmy and his phone went right to voicemail. I thought that was odd and called Bill and his phone went right to voicemail to. I was wondering what was going on and called Ap. The phone was ringing for a while until I heard, “What’s up who this?”
I replied “Bro its Flex how you been yo?”
He said in a very angry voice “Man ion wanna hear nothing you talking bout man why you call me you fake as hell yo.”
I told him in a very low and dead voice, “I’m sorry bro I know I was drawlin I should’ve brought y’all with me. I feel bad I was gonna take a trip back out there tomorrow for everybody and start giving back.
He said in a calm and sad voice “Man Timmy and Bill died got shot a couple weeks ago boy who you giving back to?”
I replied in a very sad voice, “Damn Bro I ain’t know yo i’m sorry when the funeral and I’m coming back for you man I gotta give back to somebody I feel alone up here yo.”
Ap sighed and replied “Man bro I missed you too. The funerals 3 days from now I just can’t believe they gone and I feel alone down here to….”
I replied in an emotionless voice “Damn bro ima be back down there asap ima book the first flight back tonight.”
   The Next morning I woke up to a rainy day by Kur. I just had a feeling today wasn’t gonna be one of my best days. I got my best suit out my closet and threw that jawn on but before I left I rolled two up and prayed to god for better days. I arrived to the airport early and hopped on the plane and was off. On my way during the ride back I thought a lot about my life and really just thought, “Damn how my life gon change?” I arrived in Delaware around 3:30 and rode out Wilmington to my mans Ap house. When I arrived surprisingly he was already waiting outside for me like he was expecting me…. The last thing I noticed before I heard *bang bang bang bang* was that he wasn’t wearing a suit. I looked down at my hands and noticed they were covered with blood. I had crashed into a stop sign and when I looked to my left I was looking into a smoking bullet hole of a glock 9…… My eyes started to blur and I could barely see. Everything looked red and I felt like I was fading away. I tried to move and open the car door but my body wouldn’t move. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t do anything. I’m starting to think this is the end for me. Everythings running through my head like why did this happen to me? I don’t understand why Ap would do this. But when I looked to my left again after looking down at all the blood I turned and just said “Why?”
Ap put the gun down and said “Because you turned on me and I won’t ever forget that.”
Then I heard some sirens, they sounded close. Ap turned around and ran and dropped his gun. I laid there thinking bout my life. Damn it seems all I ever do is think about my life. But after I looked down again everything got dark and I passed out.

When I awoke I was confused I didn’t know where I was or what had happen but I looked around it looked liked I was in a bed at the hospital. The doctor had been standing in front of me and it looked like he’d been waiting for me to awake. He told me that the ops wanted to talk to me as soon as I had gotten up but before he told me I would be alright and that I was lucky the bullets had just missed my heart and that they were only flesh wounds. I was relieved but I also had a lot on my mind. I still was confused like, thats my mans why would he do that regardless of if I left? I’ d known him since I was a youngin. While I was deep in my thoughts the door creeped open and 2 ops came in and started asking me questions.
“What happen?” he said curiously.
I told him “I was driving up to meet my mans and somebody started shooting at me I don’t know who it was or why but it just get like that sometimes in the hood.” The hood was a crazy place man I realized and I realized everything you do can come around back to you. This is what I get for chasing the fame but I thank god that he gave me another chance to do right.
The officer’s kept asking questions and I kept answering but finally they said “Thank you for your assistance” and they left.
****

A couple weeks had passed and I had gotten better. When I got out of the hospital I wasn’t worried about what happen with me and Ap. I never ratted on him I just let him be. He continued his hood life and I started giving back. I started donating money to the hood and charities for kids with no home and changing my ways. Also this time I got out the hood for good and got a down chick by my side. So this time i’m never looking back.