Killer Moments | Teen Ink

Killer Moments

December 9, 2014
By alleykat BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
alleykat BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
3 articles 3 photos 4 comments

The wind was howling outside the office walls. The rain came pouring down in buckets. It was as if she could hear the trees outside moaning and groaning with every gust of wind, just begging to be brought in. Oh, how she would have loved to be curled up on her couch watching a Hallmark Christmas movie instead of sitting behind a desk all day, just sitting and waiting to pick up the next phone call and repeat the same words she had said a thousand times before. “Thank you for calling the emergency helpline. What can I help you with?”
Around 3 p.m. the office became eerie. The air felt thick and chilling. It felt like something out of a horror movie. She got up and looked out into the hallway, and all the other desks were empty. Where had everyone gone? Why was nobody calling? A million more questions raced through her mind. She went back into her office and the phone rang. She hesitated but then answered, “Thank you for calling the emergency helpline. What can I help you with?” A male’s voice on the other line squawked “I don’t need any help, but when I am done with you, you’re going to need help.” She quickly threw the phone down and ran over to the door. With one swift move, the door was slammed and locked. She closed the curtains and shut off the lights. Under the desk she went to hide and wait out the mysterious man. She thought to herself, “There’s no way he’s going to find me.”
What seemed like an eternity had passed she crawled out from under the desk just in time to see the axe come chopping through the door. “I know you’re in here little missy. This is the only locked and shut office room.” She crawled to the back door and ran. She tried to run as fast as she could but it felt like she was just barely crawling. She could hear his footsteps pounding on the floor like a trapped prisoner pounding on the jail cell walls. It felt like he was right there behind her… just one step behind. Every 3 steps she took, seemed like 6 steps for him. Finally, she reached the parking lot and ran to her car. She realized she had left the keys inside along with her coat. She locked the doors even though the axe would destroy any of the windows in mere seconds. She tried to remember how to hotwire a car, but she just couldn’t do it. She slumped over and cried.
The young woman prayed to the man upstairs. She heard the man outside her car ripping on the door handles and smashing the windows. He took his axe and smashed the side of the car while she just continued to lay there. She figured it was her time to go. She had lived a good 25 years and hadn’t really pictured this as her death but I guess nobody ever knows. It was at that moment when the alarm clock went off and she soon realized that she needed to stop watching horror movies before bed.