Cassie | Teen Ink

Cassie

By JazzyFae BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
JazzyFae BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

Johnny stuffs his hands into his blue jeans pockets as he struggles to find the words he wants to say. Johnny feels his cheeks heat as he blushes, and once again is glad it is dark out, so Vanessa couldn’t see his embarrassment. “Ummm….I…..ummm,” he stutters as he notices how beautiful her dark green eyes are when her long, jet black hair is down, reaching to the middle of her back.
“What did you want to tell me so badly?” Vanessa says. She knits her dark eyebrows together as she tries to understand why Johnny is so nervous. What did he want to say? He practically begged her to leave the party and talk with him. The house was only five minutes away, with lights on all over the house, people talking and drinking and playing games throughout the night. Just as most teenagers prefer to do on a Saturday night.
“Well… I wanted… to tell you… that..” Johnny closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.
“I love you”
“What”
“I love you”
“Awww… how sweet” a deep voice said. Johnny and Vanessa frantically look around for the person who said that.
“Who said that” Johnny demands. He squared his shoulders and balled his hands into fists. He thinks about fighting moves to set his mind to be ready for fight.
“I did” but don’t worry about me, worry about all of us.” a man stepped forward from the shadow of a dark tree. Others followed. They formed a perfect circle around them. A man with a nine millimeter beretta and he was aiming at Vanessa.
“Both of you, give me all your money… in fact, just give me your whole wallet and purse”
“I don’t have my wallet with me” Johnny says. The man with the gun squints his eyes.
“What?”
Johnny swallows before he speaks. “I do not have my wallet.”
“Really?”
“Really”
A guy from behind him kicks Johnny in the back of his knee. He falls to the ground. The guy then checks all of Johnny’s pocket. Empty, except for a box with a beautiful diamond ring.
“Oh how precious” said one of the guys.
The man with the gun turns his gaze to Vanessa. She is shaking with fear.
All of a sudden, it is very dark. Nobody could see anything. It was like somebody took the moon, the stars and turned off all the lights at the same time. Then, everyone could see again… Or at least Vanessa and Johnny could. All of the guys that were trying to mug them  were lying on the ground. Their bellies to the sky, and there heads away from Johnny and Vanessa.
A short dark figure steps forward out of the light. Johnny jumps and quickly picks up the gun from one of the guys were holding.When Johnny noticed that it was a young woman. Short blonde hair, hidden underneath a black cap. A big heavy sweater covering her from the shoulders to ankle made her look almost anorexic. A red and green scarf is loosely wrapped around her neck, not to keep her warm, but to have for the upcoming winter.
Johnny knows her. He doesn’t know how, he just feels a connection. That he has met her before. He is so preoccupied with figuring out how he knows this stranger that he does not hear her ask “are you two okay?”
“yeah” says Vanessa. “What happened?”
“Looks like Johnny here, took down those crooks. Good job Johnny!”
“Thanks” he says as he lowers the gun back down to the ground. Then she bobs her head and heads under the bridge, skipping.
“Wait!” Johnny yells after her. He chases to talk to her, but he stops as he looks under the bridge. The girl is gone. He finally remembers where he knows her from. She is Cassie. The weird girl at school. Always disappearing in and out of nowhere. The girl that everyone calls the witch.
Later that night, Vanessa talked about how weird and strange the “homeless woman” was. Vanessa talked about how she is glad the woman left as she did, that she didn't want to get sick from the woman’s filth. Johnny was so mad at Vanessa for saying such harsh things about her. “You don’t know her! How can you say that! I mean, she helped us.” He acclaimed.
“No, you did.”
“No, it was not me. It was her. It was Cassie”
“She is just a homeless woman. She was so skinny and weak. There was no way she could of done anything.”
Johnny gave up with Vanessa. He knew, who Cassie was. Cassie was not just a homeless woman. She was a strong willed and powerful witch that saved their lives. Vanessa just could not see it. Vanessa judged Cassie too fast, and did not know her in high school. Johnny decided he will find Cassie. He will find her and thank her. Then, he will help her in any way he could.