The Strange World | Teen Ink

The Strange World

By Schuyler White BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Schuyler White BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

The Strange World
I was walking home from school, unaware what might happen next.
I wasn’t paying any attention on where I was going, only thinking about the day.  School was horrible! Florence High School, was the worst, and we didn’t even live in Florence! All we do is talk because the teacher doesn’t stop anyone just gives up! I mean some people want a high school diploma here! Then everything was gone, I was spinning in blankness.
I woke up somewhere other than Sanfransico, California. Two people were by my side, just starring down at me. I was so freaked out, I blacked out again.
“OW!! She zapped me!”
“No I did not! All I did was pinching you with these electrical plyers” said the random old lady.
“Why, on earth am I here,” I questioned.
“We thought you might need help!”
“Well, I don’t! I am just going to leave now!”
“NO!” screamed the boy.

He was too late. I slid of the table onto the ground and hit my head on the clay ground. He then picked me up and placed me on the table again. I was confused and in pain.
“Where am I?” I asked
“How should I know?” the strange lady said. “Only you know where you are and want to be.”
“Well, I don’t know!” I screamed, and then passed out again.
I woke up in my room, in my house, in my city, in my state, and in my country. I was confused. I had no idea what happened. That day on, I promised I would find out what happened.
     7 years later
I was walking to the train, to go home for spring break from collage. I thought about the day I was walking home from school, I passed out, and went to the strange world. Then everything went black and I felt like I was spinning.
Once again there she was electric plyers in hand, ready to shock. Oh, excuse me, pinch me with electricity. This time I knew better than to get off the bed, so I stayed lying down, confused.  Then I asked,
“Where are you?” smart enough not to ask where I am. 
“Mars” said the lady.
“But no, that’s impossible!”
“For you, but not me!” The lady answered happily because she out smarted me, once again.

“Oh my gosh!” I said, and then slowly sat up aware that I may fall over. Mad and confused, I decided to just relax and find a way to home once I could walk again.
Once I could get up, I went looking. That night, when the lady was asleep, I got up carefully. After a while of searching, I found it! It was a document with everything about me on it, my name, doctor, disabilities, grade, age, and genealogy. Then I saw the sun rising, I had to go before the lady woke up at dawn.
Turns out, I was in car accident while walking to the train station. I didn’t die, but was put into a coma. The lady and boy in the strange world was me too afraid to go back into the real world. Too afraid to be in another accident, too afraid to die.
As I lay there in my deep sleep while my mom held my hand and stroked my cheek. My heart rate dropped, I woke up in a startle, confused. I saw my family crying, the doctor above me and I fell back asleep. I was out forever, as I thought, and never figured out why in my coma I dreamt of that.
“Why isn’t my daughter moving?” My mom screamed.
“That’s something we will never know” answered the doctor.
I never again saw my parents or family. I lived most of my life with the strange lady and the boy. Never went back to school and never figured out where I was. I came close but the people came and took the lady right before she told me. The boy didn’t know either, he was like me stuck in a coma and stuck unknowing.
The place I was in was quiet. It had little population. No schools, no libraries, and no places with any type of history or modern knowledge. I spent days exploring the strange world, until…

“Zoe? Are you awake? Oh! Please wakeup, I am begging you! WAKE UP!” my mom screamed.
“Mom?” I answered quietly because my strength was gone I looked down and saw myself covered in wires, oxygen tanks around me, balloons, cards, and a huge window looking out into the hall.
Then I heard shouting, creaky wheels and fast footsteps. A bed rolled by with doctors and nurses surrounding it. On top of it, there was a young girl on top of it. Her head was bald and she had wires going up her nose and an IV in her wrist.
  I might never know what happened to the lady, or the boy in the strange world or why they were apart of my life, but for now, I am focusing on my survival and my family.