Lucy's Rocking Chair | Teen Ink

Lucy's Rocking Chair

It was an ordinary Tuesday night for Lucy, both of her parents had to work late on Tuesdays, inconvenient - I know. She sat in her rocking chair reading her school book - she was old enough for chapter books now that she was in the 5th grade. That rocking chair always squeaked when someone was sitting in it. It was an eery sound that she had grown used to, it was comforting in a way, reminding her of her days as a toddler, when her parents first bought it. She flicked on the TV after getting her daily reading done. The channel 5 news illuminated the dark living room. Lucy rushed to the kitchen to grab a tub of ice cream - she could eat all the treats she wanted on Tuesdays. Scooping the ice cream into the bowl she hears the anchorwoman say

“This just in, a prison escapee considered highly dangerous is loose in Westwood, please lock all doors and windows and stay insid-” the reporter stopped talking and the house was filled with silence. Lucy rushed back into the room to find the TV off.

Huh, weird. She thought to herself. Turning the TV back on she went to grab her ice cream and sat on the couch.

After enjoying the dessert, she decided it was time for bed. She brushed her hair and went to bed. Leaving the TV on for some noise to comfort her in the silence. She lies in bed, closes her eyes… and then silence. The house is yet again filled with silence, except Lucy hears one thing - the squeaking of her rocking chair.