Beast Among Men | Teen Ink

Beast Among Men

By skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Come on, Olivia, you can do this. Just a couple more miles, I thought as my legs carried me away from my prison. The prison that used to be my home, until I knew what they wanted to do to me... how they wanted to use me. The sound of shoes echoed in the forest as they attempted to capture me or maybe that was the sound was my heart beating out of my chest. The fallen branches on the forest floor scratched my ankles. My fast pace made it impossible to determine where I was. All I saw were my fiery red curls whipping past my face. My legs ached from the strenuous activity, but I pushed them harder. I have to leave. I have to.
    "Where are you, Livvie? I feel very hurt that you left me like that. Aren't we family?" Chase taunted as he stopped mid-stride. My feet paused out of fear. I quickly snapped out of it and rushed behind an oak tree. Heat rushed through me and my normally porcelain skin was now a blotchy red. My head slowly peeking out from behind it. I watched him cautiously as he stared around the forest looking for me. Then he ceased movement, his eyes glaring at the root of the tree I was hiding behind. Those hazel eyes that used to provide comfort were now pitch black and gleaming with hunger...hunger for power, power that I could give to him. Suddenly he threw his head back and sniffed the air. A dark, humorless chuckle escaped his lips. "I can smell you, your fear. It tastes delicious," he growled.
     With that statement I knew the beast had taken over his mind. He could no longer see reason. Fear consumed me as I recalled the last time his beast had taken over...The blood, the unattached limbs, the lifeless eyes. A whimper escaped my lips as the memory coursed through my brain. Immediately, I realized my mistake.
      No, no, no. How could you be so stupid? The mantra repeated in my head. This was the end. Chase would never let me go, now that I know the truth about my family.
    "I'm gonna give you one last chance, Livvie. I'll forgive you if you come out and help me." His words were let only met with silence. No response, no action. He growled under his breath before I heard the sound of clothes ripping. It's happening, no turning back now. "Why are you being so selfish, Olivia? We can rule the world together. With your abilities, the whole world will take orders from us."
    I heard as his now four legs stalking me and started to shy away from the sound. He was getting closer and closer to me. I covered my ears, attempting to somewhat block out the fear that was threatening to consume me. Please, someone help me, I begged in my mind.
     "Get up and fight back. Don't let him control you like this. You're stronger than him," a voice whispered in my head. The voice strongly reminded me of my mother. The words echoed in my brain. Electricity cackled in my fingertips, trying to escape. I could feel the power coursing through me. The feeling made me purse my lips. I am stronger than this.