It Happened At May's Hill | Teen Ink

It Happened At May's Hill

January 12, 2016
By StormyJay SILVER, Elkmont, Alabama
StormyJay SILVER, Elkmont, Alabama
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning that you're something people don't see that often. ~ Ashley Purdy


All things in general May was a happy little girl. She woke at six every morning and went to bed at seven every night. May caught the bus at 6:30 and arrived at school at 7:10. May kept good grades and always looked pleasant. She was indeed a happy little girl.
May always packed her lunch. Every day she made a sandwich, and everyday its contents were new. May liked a variety of things. And every day at lunch May would walk outside and sit on the hill beside the school house. May loves this hill. She told all the other children her age that the hill gave the most spectacular view of the town's main building.
On one particular Monday morning, May awoke at her usual time and caught the bus at the usual time as well. She also arrived at school at the normal time. May did not forget her lunch, nor did she forget her violet ribbon that she used to put her hair back.
As lunch came along that Monday morning, May sat on her hill. The children watched her as she ate each bite of her lunch.
The children did not like May and neither did her teacher. They always thought she was strange for sitting on the hill that overlooked the local cemetery. But, even when her teacher scolded her for doing so, May continued to eat on that hill.
As the children watched, they began getting closer and closer. May, with her back turned to the school house and front facing toward the cemetery, but face pointed toward the main building, ate her sandwich in peace. Unaware of the students getting closer to her.
A boy yanked at May's violet ribbon, which made her dark brown hair fall to her shoulders. May shot up from her spot on the hill and turned around. She tumbled back. May fell down her hill.
The teacher rushed over, frantically trying to get through the children so she may see what the commotion was, hoping that the children had found a dead animal. To her horror, and very much to her excitement, she saw a motionless May. The children were tasked to go inside and let the teacher handle the predicament they were in.
The boy who took May's violet ribbon stood in shock. He had not expected the events that had just occurred. The boy was not cruel, he was simply a pawn in the children's bullying against sweet, little May. The boy was rushed off by the teacher, back into the schoolhouse where everyone else was.
The teacher rushed down the hill toward her unmoving student. Little May was cold and her skin, paler than normal. May, after she stopped falling, had hit the short concrete wall that outlined the cemetery. Red liquid ran down the wall and down May's small face.
May's teacher was stunned. But, she knew what to do. May's teacher picked up the small child and carried her toward the school house. The teacher had not planned on releasing her students early, but she did so seeing that this was a traumatic moment for them. The children gathered their books and did not question the moment at hand. They left.
The teacher, now alone with the body, watched little May for any sign of life. May still remained motionless.
The teacher removed items from the small closet in her room. It was just the right height. The teacher placed the girl in the now empty closet and shut it. "Have mercy on me for I have no other choice child." the teacher said, locking the closet doors. "Please stay locked away, please do not come out. You were not welcomed here, so I think it best you stay." the teacher patted the wooden door to the closet.
The teacher was a hefty, big boned woman. She came from a well-established family in the north who were known for their woodworking skills. The closet that held little May was one of the many hand crafted things she received from home. She had another just like it. It would not be missed.
The teacher carried little May's closet to the school yard and buried May on her hill. Hoping that May would stay there in her closet, on that spot which she sat upon the hill. "This is where you love, is it not?" she looked at the closet.
Multiple thuds and bangs came from the inside of the closet. The thought of May being alive frightened the teacher more than the thought of her being dead. "You will surely curse me child. You with your darkish hair and black eyes. The child of strange habits. Please, lay at peace overlooking your graves." with that five more thuds and bangs came from inside May's closet. But by then it was too late for the teacher had buried her student. Little May, with her bright smiles and small frame, was missing from the world.
May's parents became worried when their little girl was not at home at her normal time. An hour, then two, then three, and then finally five went by, but still no child to welcome home. The family called in the sheriff who made an investigation of the school house. Questioning each child and the teacher. They all lied. The children lied so as not to not get into trouble with their parents, and the teacher lied so as not to have the only job she ever wanted taken away.
The boy who took May's violet ribbon was never questioned, for reasons unknown, he was simply missed. Perhaps it was better for the teacher and the other students, after all he would have told the truth. It was his fault.
Soon after little May was forgotten. With investigations going nowhere, questioning soon stopped. May's parents, still heartbroken over the loss of their only child, held investigations of their own. The teacher kept her job at the school house.
The students came back the next day, since they had not seen anything of little May the day before. The boy who took May's violet ribbon did not return until a few weeks after, due to dreams of the mangled corpse of his fellow classmate.
Nearly three months passed and the class seemed to all but completely forgotten about the incident. Things were continuing without May in the class. But May was unhappy with that.
Gradually students started disappearing from the school house and were found in the cemetery, lost and in a daze and crying. But, things became worse. One day the students were disappearing one by one, and none of them were found in the cemetery, it was as if they had never existed. With no trace of them left behind, no one had a choice but to question the teacher, the mentor that was supposed to watch the children. Eventually, all the students disappeared, except for the boy who took May's violet ribbon.
The teacher began to excessively worry. 'What if that child escaped?' the thought ran through her head rapidly. She thought of everything. How could one dead child cause such problems? The teacher began suspecting the boy who was still there. The only one who had not been whisked away.
The teacher watched the boy cautiously. Never letting her eyes wonder from him.
One morning the teacher finally snapped. And as if it were of pure intuition the boy's parents came to the school to check up on him. When they reached the classroom they were shocked to see their son being hung from his hands by ropes and being lashed at by wooden planks that were held by the teacher.
The teacher was brought in. When asked about the incident the teacher simply replied, "It is that child's fault! He has taken the children!"
The boy lived through the incident, but held a few scars across his chest and back. The teacher was sent back north for her family to deal with their, now insane, family member.
It seemed as if May had gotten her revenge. She returned the children, but May wasn't quite done with them. No, for now May would wait for an opportunity to arise.
When the children returned they had no idea they had been taken. There were strange markings left on their bodies. The marks seemed to have been cause by fingernails that had been dug into their skin. The marks had become scars on the children's skin as they grew older, but they forgot about poor little May.
"Tell me. Doesn't violent sound like violet?"


The author's comments:

This was my attempt at the horror genre. This was made maybe about a year ago. It is just about a little girl named May and the mystery of her disapearance.