Polaroid Camera | Teen Ink

Polaroid Camera

By Kalista BRONZE, Manitou Springs, Colorado
Kalista BRONZE, Manitou Springs, Colorado

In the fall of 2014, my best friend Emma and I signed up to be in photography class as one of our electives. As soon as we signed up, we had the idea of going to buy ourselves a vintage camera that takes good pictures. Emma knows exactly the best place that sells vintage items and accessories. After school, we got on our bikes and headed to the local thrift store. We arrived at the store and walked inside. It was so gloomy, that it gave me the chills. The floor creaked everywhere we took a step until we got to one of the desks, which a man stood at.

"Hello. May I help you?" The man at the desk asked. His face was filled with an empty expression, as it he was filled with sadness, like he hasn't smiled in a while. I didn't bother to ask him if something was wrong.

"Yes," I replied, "We're looking for a vintage camera. Do you have any Polaroids?"

"They're over there by the window, to your left, sitting on a table." He pointed out with his finger.

The table had all varieties of cameras. A few looked like they were in good condition, but some were old, too. Some of them had broken pieces, cracked lenses, had missing pieces and had dust covering most of them. It didn't take us a long time to point out which one we liked. There was a white Polaroid that was eye catching to me.

As soon as I pointed out the camera to the man and his eyes got really big. He immediately replied, "Oh. I'll uh...I'll commit you a discount on that one". I could tell something was wrong by the way he said that. He got a little tense.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked. "I know it's fairly old, but it still seems like it's in perfect use to be a higher price."

"You see, it's just that my son used to own that camera. He passed about 10 years ago on October 31. He took pictures with it every day. He enjoyed it so much. I only want to get rid of it because every time I see it, it makes me bring back memories of him. I know I should keep it, but I have other things he loved that remind me of him."

The mans eyes started to water. I felt so bad for him, that I even started getting teary eyed. I looked over at Emma, her eyes were wide open in shock.

"Wow," Emma stated. "I'm so sorry. Are...are you sure you don't want it? There are still more to choose from. "

"I'm sure. It's time for someone new to take care of it. So go ahead." We then paid for the camera, said goodbye to the man and walked outside. The ride to my house was very quiet. Emma and I arrived at my house about 10 minutes later. Then we started to take artsy pictures in front of the tree in my front yard, with the fall leaves along the ground, and a few at the middle school down the block. After that, we looked at the photos to see how they came out. The pictures came out perfect, except there was a blurred spot on all of them.

"It probably didn't process all the way." I told Emma.

"That's odd. Well it's getting pretty dark now, I should get home." Emma said while getting on her bike.

I ran into my house and examined the photographs. I thought yo myself that something wasn't right with this camera. The lens are in perfect condition, the film isn't old either. I wasn't too concerned, until I noticed that the blur was formed into some form of shape. I thought, could it be an animal? A human figure? I'll just wait till it goes away. I waited for a while, a little scared though as well. The film began to seem like a normal picture as the blur was slowly going away. Then as it cleared, the figure caught my attention, and right there standing next to me, was a young boy. I immediately called Emma. My hands were shaking as I dialed her number.

"There's something wrong with our photos. A boy appears in all of them. I'm pretty sure there was no one we took pictures of." 

"What?! We'll talk about this tomorrow, okay?" Then I hung up. I thought , who is that boy? Where did he come from? I went to bed and slept on it.

The next day Emma came over to my house about 10:00 am and we shared explanations on the photos. It just didn't seem quite right. Then we decided that it might've been a good idea to go back to the store and ask the man if he knows anything since his son owned it. We ran outside and rode our bikes there.  When we arrived, it still managed to give me the chills.

" Excuse me, sire, this camera is freaking me out. Yesterday, we were taking pictures and I noticed that there appears to be a boy in all of these photos. See?" I handed them all three photos. Suddenly his eyes widened. He had a shocked, terrified face.

"This boy...he is my son. How could this be?"

"Now I'm really terrified." Emma said, "Are we just imagining things or is he possibly trapped inside? I know what I just said was crazy, but I feel like I'm in a horror movie."

"Well, we should find out for sure." The man said. "Hand me that camera. Let's go outside." The man was strangely calm. All of us went outside, the man took a picture on the side of the building while we stood next to him expecting something to happen.

"You see, there's always that blurry spot when it gets out." I said," It took a while for it to process until then we found... your son in all of them."

"I really don't know what's going on here, but whatever it is we should try to figure out what's going on. Can we somehow connect with him and try to ask him how we got in the camera? I know it's crazy, again, but hearing all these stories about contacting 'the dead' seems so real." Emma took a deep breathe because of how rapidly she was talking.

"Perhaps the Ouija board would work." I mumbled. "I have one at my house, but I don't know where. Do you by any chance have one?"

"Ah yes. I keep it here. My son used to play with it all the time. I told him not to but he never listened. I'll go get it."

"Are we actually going to do this?" Emma asked me.

"It's the only way, real or not. I mean I don't believe in that stuff, but it's worth a try. It's not too late to have a little fun. "

"Here it is." The man said. "Remember, keep your hands on it. I'll ask if "Jason" is there. And always remember to say goodbye." We all each placed two fingers on the piece of wood that moves it around. The man was the first to ask the question.

"Jason? Are you there?" The wood piece moved our fingers to the word "YES". I could feel my heart beating faster because of how terrified I was.

"How did you become stuck in the camera?" I asked him.

It spelled out "Ouija board. October 31."

"I forgot...today is October 31..." Emma said.

Then all of the sudden, everything went dark. I no longer felt my fingers touching the wooden piece, nor could I feel my feet touching the hard ground. All I could see was the tree in front of my house. All I could feel was the breathe upon my shoulder with a hearing of an unfamiliar voice that said, "Hello