The Nightmare | Teen Ink

The Nightmare

March 23, 2016
By Anonymous

They say, you can be anything when you grow up. Anything in the world, think for a second, what did you wanna be? Perhaps an astronaut, a singer, or maybe you just wanted to be rich. Everyone wants to be something, but life doesn’t always work out that way, does it? When I was only four years old I lost my mother. I wore a simple black sundress to her funeral. It rained that day, I remember. I always remember. Then a year later, when I was just five, I lost my father. I hadn’t grown a whole bunch in that one year, so I wore that same old dress. Big brother cried a lot that day, but then again, he was sixteen, and knew our parents a lot better than I did. I didn’t cry at either funeral, and I’m not ashamed to admit it. What does a child know about death? What could a child possibly understand besides the fact that, mommy and daddy wouldn’t be back for dinner, ever again.
That’s when I met Aaron. Now I use the word ‘met’ very loosely here. I’ve never seen him in person. He showed up at my school one day and took me aside, very roughly might I add, and told me that my parents were killed while working for him. My parents were assassins, and darn good ones at that. Aaron told me it wasn’t too late for me to take up their work. I could be just like them, maybe even better. I remember my large blue eyes shining with excitement and wonder, something that hasn’t happened since that day. I jumped at the chance and before I knew it, I packed my bags and left. I trained years with no end. I worked harder than I ever imagined I would. I wanted this, and I was going to do it, no matter what. GREEN Inc. took me in and gave me my very own mentor... joy. Note my sarcasm. But hey, couldn’t have done it without them. So now here I am at seventeen years old, and the best assassin in the world. Now i’m not trying to sound egotistical here, i’m completely serious. I’ve managed to take out some of the others that thought they were the best. Heh, they never stood a chance. I was built to kill, meant to destroy. That’s all i’ve been breed to do since I was five. Armed with my sniper, or even my sword, I can’t be stopped.
A lot of people will probably wanna know more about me. Let’s see, I love long romantic walks on the beach in the moonlight, candlelit dinners, HA sike. I don’t like anything, other than killing. My favorite color is red, like blood, but who cares right? Appearance… I guess pretty average, long brown hair, stunning blue eyes, a body that could stop a truck, but hey that last one is just my opinion. My mouth was stitched shut at one point though. Bet you didn’t see that coming, yeah no one ever does. But yeah I kept back talking to my mentor too much, so he tied me to a chair, knocked me out, and stitched my lips closed to teach me a lesson. Oooohh did he live to regret that. I learned a million and one ways of how to annoy him without even talking or using my sign language. After a month he just took a knife and sliced the stitches in half. Too bad he left them there too long and they’re kind of, lets say, stuck. So now I wear a mask over my mouth, don’t want people to see. Unless it’s one of my special victims that I feel like messing with until they go insane. They call me the walking skeleton, the silent killer, the deadly sniper. But my name’s just Lexi Harrison. I like nothing, and have no friends or family left to talk to. I love killing, and i’m good at it. You see when I was younger I knew what I wanted to be. And now, I am. I’m Black Heart, your worst nightmare.
I sit on the roof of the building, slowly getting everything ready. Let’s see, sniper rifle, check. Binoculars, check. My hands quickly pat my hips and I smile. Phone, check. I open the plain black case that holds my most valued possession, my intervention rifle with a silencer. I removed it from its case and set it up on the edge of the building. I set up my scope next and sit back to admire my beautiful weapon of destruction. I pull back my black sleeve and check the time. 10:13. Perfect. I turn the safety button off and put my finger on the trigger and look through the scope. I see a cleanly kept office room. The same one that i’ve spent two hours memorizing perfectly. Large metal desk to the left with a very comfortable looking plush black office chair sitting behind it. A clutter of papers cover the desk, with a very outdated computer. I almost cringe at the sight of the old computer. Gosh it’d be so easy to hack into that piece of trash. I see a couple of pictures lining the walls. I know everyone in each of the photos. His daughter Emily, who is twentyfive years old, married to Kevin Hanes, has two children named Stephanie and Liam. His wife, a young, alcoholic named Paris. She was a waste of time to research. I roll my eyes as I glance at the plain white and black clock that hangs on one of the white walls. 10:15. I see a fat old bald man stroll into his office. His chubby face red and sweaty. Hmm a little nervous aren’t we Henshaw. I chuckle.
“Just like clockwork.” I whisper to myself. He always comes into work at exactly 10:15 to start his night work. He works this late so that he can continue to convince himself that his twenty-two year old wife isn’t having an affair with his gardener. He paces around a second before answering the phone. That would be his daughter, calling to check up on him. Whenever she thinks there’s something wrong she calls when he gets to work. Guess she has good intuition. I feel a slightly warm breeze on this hot night blow through my brown hair. I put my hair up into a ponytail so that it wouldn’t get in my way. I’ve done these things a million times, of course I know what to do. I glance at the clock once more, now it’s time. At exactly 10:17 I gently pulled the trigger and watched as Mr. Henshaw’s brains splattered onto his office walls. I quickly pulled myself and my gun away from the edge. Carefully but with uncanny speed I pack up my weapon and grab the case. I run from the building and grab the pipe on the side of the building and slide down. In a matter of seconds I land on the ground with a soft thud. Without hesitating I put my case down and throw on my black leather jacket. Next I sling my case over onto my back and pull on my helmet. I throw my leg over my midnight black Ducati 1098. I quickly turn it on and speed away from the dark alleyway and out onto the city streets. The lights around me turn into colorful blurs as I start weaving in and out of the traffic. I pull back the handle and shoot off down the street. With just a couple of turns i’m pulling up to the hotel i’m staying at this week. I don’t bother pulling up to the front of the building. They don’t have any surveillance of me leaving, so it wouldn’t look very good if I just waltzed in. I pull up to the back of the building and hop off of my motorcycle. I safely hide it away from thieves and other idiots. I take off my helmet and walk up to the large, grand hotel. I climb up onto the dumpster and get to work. Working my way up the building I manage to scale up to the third floor. I look exactly four windows down and see the only one open. Carefully, but not slowly, I make my way down along the edge and hop down into the room. I check my watch and smile. 10:24. I walk into my bathroom and pull on one of the soft white bathrobes. I pull my hair down out of the ponytail and throw it up into a messy up do. Then a minute late I hear my phone ring.
I grab my terrible flip phone that I use for work and flip it open. “Hello?” I answer it with an annoyed voice. “Now is that anyway to talk to your boss Miss Lexi?” I hear Aaron say and I can’t help but chuckle. “Well of course it is, now what do you want? I’m a very busy woman.” I say as I stare down longingly at my half eaten food that room service had brought up. “Stop staring at your food and listen closely.” He says and I roll my eyes. “Alright, alright talk.” “I assume your last mission was a success?” He asks. “Of course, perfectly clean kill if I do say so myself.” I brag slightly and he chuckles. “I expect nothing less from my best assassin. Now I had a very powerful client call today.” “Who? The one from two missions ago? Because i’m tired of his light work. I need a challenge.” I start rambling on. “Shush, it’s a usual client, but one I normally don’t give you.” He says and I raise one perfectly plucked brown eyebrow at his statement. “Well why don’t I get him?” I ask. “That’s not important right now. I need a complete expert for this mission, and I think you’re finally ready for this level.” He says. “Continue.” “This client is willing to pay 10 million upfront cash for you to kill a man who lives in California.” “Ew, why California?” I complain. “Do you accept or not?” “For 10 million you bet I do!” I yell excitedly into the phone. “Perfect, i’ll email you the details now. He wants it done within the next three days. Don’t dissapoint me.” And with that he hangs up. I shut my phone and roll my eyes once again. I can handle any mission he gives me. I forgot about my uneaten food and quickly grabbed my laptop, going straight to my email. I stare at it a moment in confusion. Where is the picture? I tell Aaron to make sure the client always inserts a picture of the victim. I groan in aggravation. I quickly pull my chrome browser up and go to Google. Once it loads I quickly type the name provided in the email into the searchbar … “Slenderman”.
I stepped out of the airport with my luggage in hand. I can tell you right now that was the worst plane ride I have ever experienced! There was a kid behind me kicking the back of my seat pretty much the entire way, a baby a few rows ahead of me crying, and then there are the idiots who complain too much. And of course, I was the one who had to sit in between two of them. I angrily stormed down the ramp to where the taxi cabs were. Boom! Raindrops started to hit my head. Great! Just great. I tightened my jaw and entered the taxi. “Hello miss, where will I have the pleasure of taking you today?” I decided to have a little fun, it was California after all and I was in a bad mood. So I pulled the bandanna down from my face to reveal my black stitches hanging from my lips. “To Slenderman’s house please.” I said through gritted teeth. The guy’s eyes were huge! You should’ve seen them. I couldn’t help but laugh. “Just kidding with you...maybe” I finally gave him the address to the park and we were on our way.

I walk along the darkened streets, trying to locate these so called “Slender Woods”. I tried checking Google maps to find them, but it turns out that these woods don’t exist. Which is seriously confusing. I read back over the email and eventually saw another little note attached to the bottom. It says I have to look for some park, and that’s when i’ll find the woods. So here I am hunting for some stupid playground. I roll my blue eyes in annoyance, this entire thing is just one huge pain. While i’m walking I decide to do a double check and make sure that I have everything I need to get the job done. My two twin knives (because I have slight OCD when it comes to my weapons) are in their holsters on my side, my sniper is in the case on my back, and my mask is on tightly. I glance at my watch and see that it’s only 8:02, great still got time. Finally I reach a small children’s park, with a treeline close behind it. I raise one eyebrow at the setting. Who would let their kids play this close to some creepy woods that a supposed killer lives in. Not very smart now, are they? I push aside the odd feeling in the pit of my stomach and quickly climb a tree. I decide i’m going to wait up here for someone to emerge from the woods. From there I will follow them to wherever they go and then follow them back all the way to their house. Simple enough, then next i’ll climb yet another tree and shoot this “Slenderman” in the heart. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. I scrunch my face up in disgust. Did I really just think that? Gosh i’m already losing my mind.
20 minutes later I see someone sneak out of the treeline below me. All I see is a white hoodie and black pants. I let all my previous thoughts drain from my mind, and focus on the task at hand. Follow the stalker, without being seen. Easy, this is just like mission #352, where I had to stalk some businessman who was cheating on his wife. Oddly enough, it was the girlfriend who had hired me. She had a hunch that he was already married and lying to her. So she had me do some “reasearch” and when she learned the truth, I killed him. I snicker silently to myself, gosh i’m good. Anyway, enough of that, back to reality. I slowly creep out of the tree and start following him. I always stay exactly 10 feet behind him. Close enough that I won’t lose sight of him if he makes any sudden sharp turns, but far enough that he won’t be able to detect me in any way. Before long I realize that we’re going down a series of streets in a private neighborhood. He stops in front of some random white house and stares up at the darkened rooms. What the heck is he planning on doing? Then as if he’s satisfied he runs up towards the house and jumps up to the window. I move across the street and make myself comfortable inside a bush. As odd as it is, this bush is actually pretty comfortable to be honest. Not a bad spot if I do say so myself. I train my eyes on the house currently being broken into and wait.
I get cramped pretty quickly so I decide to get out and go stand a little ways down the street and lean on a white fence. I pull my hood up so that he won’t notice me when he finally leaves. Hopefully he’ll just think i’m some random punk out past curfew just messing around. Eventually I see someone walking out of the yard and starts running past me. What catches my eye first, is the large amount of red on his once white hoodie. Oh. My. Gosh. Did he just murder those people? My blue eyes go wide in alarm. Who the heck are these people? Without hesitation I blend into the shadows and start running behind him. We make it back to the woods and he stops at the treeline. I hide behind a large trashcan and watch him carefully. Maybe I did something to alarm him of my presence, but I highly doubt it. I’ve been perfectly quiet, and extra careful not to get too close. Once he seems less nervous he goes into the pitch black space and disappears.
I start after him again, not wanting to take a chance of losing him. He takes a sharp left turn off of the trail and easily runs through the forest. I’m close behind him, having a slightly harder time of navigating through the thick trees. But luckily we soon come to a large clearing. I sigh to myself in relief. Gosh I hate the woods. He quickly sprints up to the large looming house and goes right inside. Okay so I was right, he does live with “Slenderman”. I catch myself making air quotations with my fingers as I think about him. I roll my eyes, gosh I swear i’m not mentally right sometimes. I look at the house and try to follow the directions I was given to find the second story home office. On the left side I believe. I walk around the clearing, still hidden in the trees. I find a nice, sturdy tree and climb it. I climb high enough so that i’m level with the second story. Geez, how many floors does this place have? I get settled on a thick branch and take off my gun case. I manage to situate the case so that i’ll stay in the same place without moving. I open it and set up the sniper rifle on the large branch.
“Alright Lexi focus.” I close my eyes and take a deep breath. When I open them I can feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. My eyes seem to focus better now as I gaze into the only illuminated room. I see an abnormally tall man pacing back and forth in the large office. Ha, just like Mr. Henshaw, nervous. I chuckle to myself and place my finger on the trigger and close one eye. I glance through the scope and adjust my aim so that i’m aiming for his heart. I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach, but I ignore it for now. I don’t have time for this. These woods are creeping me out a little bit, and I just wanna finish this weird job. I hear a twig snap below me and my head snaps to look down. I don’t see anything, which makes me slightly paranoid. “What the heck.” I whisper, then without warning I feel a cold metal blade against my exposed neck. I tense up and my eyes go wide. “I think it’s time, you go to sleep.” I hear a deep very raspy voice say. Before I can react I feel a needle break the skin on my upper arm. No! I’m being drugged! “NO!” I scream and try to fight against the stranger. But they must have given me a strong dosage of whatever they just injected me with. Soon everything is spinning rapidly around me, and I begin to lose feeling in my legs. Next i’m unable to fight back at all, and can’t even move. I give up, and accept the fact that i’ve been caught. I fall back, expecting to fall all the way to the ground, but instead I feel a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist, dragging me down from the tree. I close my eyes and let the blackness consume me.
I can hear people around me, but that’s about the extent of my hearing. I can’t comprehend what they’re saying, just sounds like gibberish. Maybe they speak a different language, can’t say that i’d be surprised. That’d just be my luck. Well then again, I can speak like four different languages, but whatever. I try to move my body, but nothing’s working at the moment. Stupid drugs, I hate this. I was now mentally pouting like a toddler… My mentors used to randomly drug me all the time to help build immunity to them. Maybe that’s why I feel like I haven’t been unconscious for very long. So let’s see what I can try and figure out while i’m still unable to kick someone’s butt. 1. I was kidnapped. 2. I’m probably gonna die. 3. I don’t know where the heck I am. So looks like i’m stuck all the way around, greeeeat. The great Black Heart, the amazing assassin Lexi Harrison, dies by some cosplaying idiots. Geez, not the way I thought I was gonna go out. I sigh mentally at the thought.
“You hear that?” someone asks and I quickly pay attention. Ohhhh, I can understand them now, looks like the drug’s already wearing off. Excellent. “Is she waking up already?” Another voice says, this one deep, but not as deep as the first one. Then suddenly I recognize the first voice as the one who drugged me in the trees. THAT IDIOT! IMA KILL HIM! I start struggling against my sleepiness and force myself to start waking up. Finally I open my eyes and can move slightly. I can’t see the two people who are talking, but I can feel their presence. “There’s no possible way.” The raspy voice says and my eyes instantly glare at the direction of the voice. “Yeah, yeah surprise i’m up. Now let me just ask, WHERE THE HECK AM I?” I yell outraged and start struggling against what i’ve discovered. Two people stepped forward and I glared maliciously at them. One has a dark blue mask with no eyes, and the other has a wide fore-. No way, just no no no no. These are the people from the internet. Great. “Shut up.” The small child one says and I manage to flip him off. “Don’t tell me what to do.” “Don’t give me commands!” He roars back and I get slightly ticked off. “Don’t tell me what to do then.” “Who are you?” The one with the mask cuts off our argument and I look at him. Plain hoodie, jeans, and some black gloves. Seems pretty normal, so these guys must be like insane serial killer wannabes. “Uh, none ya.” I say smugly. “None ya what?” The small one asks and I smirk at him. “None ya business!” I say and start laughing at my own little sense of humor. Geez I crack myself up. “Do you realize you’re tied to a chair right now, and that we could just kill you?” The masked one says and I roll my eyes at him. Idiot. I work my fingers up my right sleeve and reach for the hidden item. I can easily get out of this, just gonna take a minute. “Hmmm?” I pretend not to hear him, “Oh this? Yeah give me a few seconds i’ll get outta it.” I say confidently and focus on getting the item down. I take a small moment to take in my surroundings. Well it’s slightly damp, and a bit moldy from what I can smell. So i’m assuming i’m in a basement of some kind. There seems to be an operating table pushed to the far right, so maybe someone uses this as an operating room? Overall, I really want to play with one of the scalpels I see over there. I can already tell their stainless steel, and probably really high maintenance. Fancccyyy, Lexi likey.
“I’m only gonna ask you one more time, who are you?” Smile child asks and I laugh slightly. “I’m Black Heart, that’s all you need to know. Now might I ask who you are?” I say. That’s when I realize my mask is still covering my mouth, oh thank god. I sigh mentally in relief. One less thing to worry about. “Why are you here?” The masked one asked and I click my tongue. “I asked you a question first. You want answers, well we’re gonna play twenty questions.” I say and smirk as I manage to get the nail file into my hand and out of my sleeve. Dumb idiots, may have taken my weapons, but they never suspect a nail file. Mwahahaha. “Who do you think we are?” The masked one asked curiously and I smirk. Oh gosh, I bet smile child is gonna flip over this one. “Well to be honest i’ve been calling you smile child, and the masked one in my mind.” I was right, smile child instantly got ticked off. Oh this  is too much fun. “But one quick question. Are you like cosplayers or insane killer wannabes?” I ask seriously. I start moving the file against the ropes around my wrists without them realizing it.
Both of their eyes go wide and I just continue to look at them. “Are you serious right now?” Smile child asks and I nod. “Jeff the Killer and Eyeless Jack. I read about them on the internet. Now who the heck are you two?” I ask, starting to get slightly aggravated. “We’re Jack and Jeff.” The masked one says and I raise an eyebrow at them. Oh, they aren’t kidding. These people are real?! I’m feeling a mixture of slight excitement and I think interest. But I could be mistaken. “Seriously? Oh great!” I exclaim dramatically and start fake crying. The mask one seems slightly alarmed at my actions, and smile child just looks at me confused. “What’s wrong with you now?!” Smile child asks and I just fake sniffle at him. “I’ve been kidnapped by Mythical Idiots!” I say and then start cracking up hysterically. They both are taken back by my comment and sudden laughter. I feel the ropes loosen and smile in satisfaction. Well that was easy. “Forget this.” Smile child says and promptly leaves the room. I frown slightly and ‘aww’ out loud pitifully. “What’s wrong now?” The masked one asks and I fake sadness. “I was having fun with smile child, why’d he leave?” I ask and chuckle. “Look, let’s be serious for five seconds, please.” He asks and my eyes widen slightly. “Fine, since you asked nicely, proceed.” “Why are you here?” He asks as he takes a seat across from me. “To kill Slenderman.” I answered truthfully. “Why?” “It’s my job, that’s all i’m saying.” I say in response. “Well, you know we can’t let you leave now right? You’ve been here all day already, we have to take you seriously, as a threat.” He says and I think about the information for a moment. Well I was supposed to kill Slender Man last night, which means i’m dead. He’s not dead, and I didn’t finish the job. So therefore I can’t go back to my hotel, or my apartment, or anything. That’s just great.
“Well then i’m fine with that. You see, if I leave here, i’m dead anyway.” I say and he leans in slightly. “Why’s that?” “I didn’t kill Slenderman. I failed in my job so therefore if I leave, i’ll be killed. If staying alive means living with some idiots who aren’t supposed to exist, then i’m fine with that.” I smile at him, although he can’t really tell. “You’re insane, you  know that right?” He says and I chuckle. “I prefer the term mentally unstable if you will.” He chuckles and gets up to leave but I stop him. “Oh hey!” He turns around to look at me and I smirk. “Yes?” I pull my hands apart and let the rope fall to the ground. “Next time you tie someone else, make sure they don’t have a nail file hidden up their sleeve.” I wink at him and he just laughs. “I can’t believe i’m saying this, but I think you’re gonna fit in here perfectly.” 


The author's comments:

I really like the creepy pasta characters so I decided to base my fiction writing off of them. Lexi (Blackheart) is the protagonist of the story and all the creepy pasta characters are the antagonists. The main idea is that Lexi works her way into being one of these creepy pasta characters.