The Dance of the Trees | Teen Ink

The Dance of the Trees

March 25, 2016
By TessaBell SILVER, Mechanicburg, Pennsylvania
TessaBell SILVER, Mechanicburg, Pennsylvania
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The birds flew by the window with grace as the wind pushed them forward. Watching the trees in their lifeless dance was my favorite way to dream during the day. I imagined myself as one of the leaves clinging to the end of one of branches. I would then, one day, break free; surrounded by all the colors of the world. Flowing high above the grass. Whispering in people’s ears as I passed. Unsure of where I was headed or where I would end, but there was no reason to worry about the fall before you even take flight.
My fingers digging into the soft wood, I imagined the trees guiding me through the tall grass to let me breathe. My shoe kicked the metal leg.
Ms. Hillary’s ruler striking the board. The whole class stiffening as one. Of course I didn’t notice, I was too preoccupied learning the steps of the wind. Even the sound of her pumps clanking against the tile did not wake me. Gingerly placing her cold, hand against my bare forearm, did however, in fact catch my attention. She whispered into my ear, “Lauren, you would mind paying attention, or I’ll have to send you to the principal’s office AGAIN!” She said the last word quiet loudly making even the bravest children jump in their seats.
I nodded, “Yes ma’am”
“Good” She stood up, “Now as I was saying, in the 1960…”
My attention span was already out the window, but this time not on the trees. I looked over the secondary building: its neatly lined brick walls, with its dark splotches where graffiti had been scrubbed off. A pair of bare feet dangled from the side, swinging in the same rhythm as the trees. The paleness of their legs contrast to the harsh, red of the brick. Abruptly I pushed out of my seat. The screech hushing the room. Ms. Hillary called at me to sit back down, but I wasn’t listening, I didn’t even look in her direction. She gave out another hair-raising squeal, but at that time I was already swinging the door open.
I was in the hallway. No one was around. It was class time so you weren’t allowed to be in the halls without permission. Trivial thing like that doesn’t matter to me right now, because she was here. I knew she would come back.
The sound of my shoes echoing down the hallway was the most exhilarating sound id ever heard. It was insane. A boy at his locker stopped to look up at me. If I hadn’t been in such a hurry I would have smiled at him and told him to come with me, but I didn’t have time for that. I didn’t want to miss her. I had to see her. 
I passed the billboard covered in the posters with her face plastered all over them, reading MISSING in large letters, I began to feel like I was floating. My abrupt echoes drowned out by the sound of my heart pulsing through my chest. I watched as doors opened with either students or teachers staring in confusion at the sight of me flying.
Finally I had reached the stairs, but my wrist was yanked back. A teacher, I did not know, with a baggy button up shirt and combed over hair stood bellow. His face covered in sweat. Wheezing with each raspy breath.
He shook his head. “What are you doing? You aren’t allowed to go up there.”
“I have to!” I pleaded. His grip tightened.
“We don’t allowed students on the roof! Now come on.”
“Let go…” Pulling with all my might felt myself break free. He fell backwards with a heavy thud and a slight groan, soon surrounded by gawking students.
I didn’t waste my luck. Rushing up the stairs I double stepped, almost falling on my face a few times. My feet skidding to a halt as I came to the top platform. The metal door standing over me. I grasped the handle. It turned with surprising ease. As it opened rays of stray sunlight caressed me. It took a few moments for my eyes to adjust from the dim, artificial lights of the school to the bright light of the sun. At first, as I took a step forward, I could only see a vague outline. Then one by one I could make out each curl of whisked hair. Chocolate skin kissing the white of her dress. She sat facing away from me, but I knew that she had that same smirk on her face. She always did.
“Your back.” I breathed.
No movement.
“We’ve been looking for you everywhere. Where were you? Why didn’t you call me?” I inched closer
Her legs swinging themselves over. Her face towards me. Her eyes elsewhere. “It didn’t involve you.”
“Of course it involved me!”
I could see her shoulders drop, “I’m sorry.”
Silence followed by more silence. It was too good from the beginning.
“You’re not staying are you?”
She said nothing.
The wind picked up again. The hem of her dress blew in my direction. She looked back at me with a smile. “I’m always here Lauren.”
I laughed, “If you’re not going to stay then just leave already.”
“Lauren…”
“Go!” I closed my eyes. The wind hung with swaying ropes.
My nails found themselves in my palm. My eyes scrunched shut. Teeth grinding against each other. I felt her delicate hands grasp my cheeks. I had longed to feel her touch again for so very long, but now I knew it would only bring me more agony.
. Not a moment later the warmth was gone. The wind whistled passed me. My eyes opened, peering at the emptiness left in front of me. She was gone.  Really, truly gone.
I walked over to the edge where just a moment ago I had seen my beloved older sister. Looking out watching the trees dance from her perspective. It was remorseless.
“I really miss you.” I cried out involuntarily.
Wiping at my eyes I sat down and took off my shoes so my feet would dangle over the edge.
“One day,” I said, “Ill actually find you and we won’t have to pretend anymore.” I grinned unforgiving and the trees continued their lifeless dance. Though, for now I could not watch.


The author's comments:

....I was in the hallway. No one was around. It was class time so you weren’t allowed to be in the halls without permission. Trivial thing like that doesn’t matter to me right now, because she was here. I knew she would come back....