The Dirt | Teen Ink

The Dirt

December 11, 2016
By IndigoWaltz PLATINUM, Newport Beach, California
IndigoWaltz PLATINUM, Newport Beach, California
48 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A witty quote proves nothing"
-Voltaire


  Lucy felt a distant calm envelope what she thought to be the world. Her hands eased from around the rough steering wheel, and the desert cold seemed to seep into her very bones. It was a dark, starless Nevada night and the highway appeared to stretched into infinity. The road’s vague boundlessness pleased Lucy immensely. She gained a dull peacefulness at the thought of perpetual, directionless travel. As long as she was movings, she told herself, she would be safe.
As Lucy drove further along the endless highway, the desert scenery began grow stale, and bare. Plantlife became sparse, and before long all signs life vanished entirely. However, the dark, cracked asphalt of the roadway remained like a kind of laceration in the ceaseless ocean of textureless sand. Lucy, despite her bleak surroundings, remained perfectly at ease. As long as she could tell that she was moving, Lucy had no qualm with the static ambience of her surroundings.
The the passing streaks on the highway’s center divide soon entranced Lucy. She had no need to look elsewhere for an indication of her movement, so she didn’t. The fleeting yellow stripes, were to Lucy, the stitches that held her journey together. They simply sewed the vast roadway across this empty desert, and she was grateful to have such dependable escape route. As long as she was moving, Lucy repeated, she would be safe.
Suddenly, as the glow of Lucy’s headlights interrogated the darkness ahead, the dashed, yellow patches of paint on the road began to shake and shimmer violently. It was as the if brightness from her headlights had awoken these fiery streaks from an impermanent stillness.
Lucy began to panic, she hoped desperately for the strange display to be nothing more than a hallucination. However a familiar, hideous fear began to invade her every thought. Soon the comfort she found in constant motion had dissipated completely. Lucy fumbled around the car’s dashboard and turned off the headlights, hoping to dim the blazing activity. Within that instant the bright flickering on the road ceased and darkness coughed out a lethargic numbness upon all that surrounded Lucy.
        The darkness was so thick that Lucy’s attempts to open her eyes did no good. She was dazed, but definitely certain that she was no longer driving down that highway. There was a hard ragged surface pressing against Lucy’s spine, and the distinct musty smell of upturned soil was all around her. Quickly Lucy began to move about, frantically searching for anything of substance. She flailed her arms violently around her, but suddenly she froze. Lucy’s fists thumped against the rugged wooden surface that loomed above her, a nearly identical surface to the one beneath her. Then as she remembered where she was, only one word came to mind… “Coffin...”
An empty hopelessness soon plunged Lucy into an icy despair. She screamed, and screamed for what seemed to be hours, and then came a silence…At the moment Lucy noticed the bitter taste of blood in her mouth, she knew she would die.