THE 64.1% | Teen Ink

THE 64.1%

By messybutkind SILVER, Sacramento, California
messybutkind SILVER, Sacramento, California

"Lean not on your own understandings"

The 64.1%
There is a 64.1% chance of a murderer getting caught along with the solving and closing of the case. Just like every reprehensible act of slaughter has a story behind it, today, we’ve sat down Giovanni Fonferdinan for interrogation to determine his state of mind over the killing of an innocent girl who the body of was found at the front of her home’s porch.

It had already been two whole hours since they left him. They assured him it’d only be a minute and by now, Giovanni’s eyes grew sensitive to the furious light punishing his eyes. This was just great! 25 years wasted and now his whole life to go. There would be moments where he wanted to punch a camera because they acted as if he was a criminal- except that he was. That orange jumpsuit would not shut up over how excited it was to be Giovanni's new partner, the more the orange suit glowed, the more shame it glared. “How did I get here?” Giovanni's head raced with guilt, “Why did no one warn me? I thought they had my back….” it appeared that he had wandered off a little too much because he did not hear when those doors swung open and flinged closed.

Detective Pomatter had him back to reality within a matter of time, “Mr. Fonferdinan?” his rough Russian accent made one cringe at the sound of his cold voice, like a sting in your ear reminding you in the trouble you're in. Giovanni gave a melancholy nod. Not even having the sufficient guts to make eye contact with the authority. Detective Pomatter took his seat at the same table from across the criminal. He opened up a folder and along with that came a pen ready for him to scribble with. “Well, Mr. Fonferdinan,” there it was again, that rusty tone, “let's start you off easily. Tell me about your childhood.”

'Childhood’ that was by far the most disgusting word out of that man's mouth. This seemed so irrelevant, what did he care? ‘Chismoso’ Giovanni thought to himself. That was the slang term you would call someone who would always want to be up everybody’s business to gossip about it and Detective Pomatter had just hit that point. “It’s none of your concerns.” Giovanni kept his head hung low, staring at his crossed, ashy arms that left the print of a Chinese dragon with some fire breathing eyes.

Detective Pomatter took a dramatic deep breath and scratched his furrowed eyebrows, “You know what, you’re right. I could care less about you. You’re going to rot in prison for the rest of your life regardless, however, I’m here to bring justice for the girl’s family. There’s more of you out there and we can prevent that if we get to you. So, if you do cooperate, I might get you a plea bargain.” the room was left speechless. Had he no shame uncovering that in front of him? What a tough call, Giovanni was trapped between a wall. Should he speak or remain quiet?

“I-I was ten years old….” fifteen years ago, if he would close his eyes, fifteen years ago didn't seem so long ago but fifteen years ago never told him how tormenting the next ten years would be. It started off as any ordinary Sunday until he woke up that morning. Giovanni had woken up earlier than usual, it was still somewhat dark outside, that didn't stop him from feeling the joy that drummed in his heart. This was the year Giovanni would reunite with his parents. For years, mama and papa had promised to one day make it across to the United States and that day happened to fall on his birthday.

A chirp announced that the sun had finally risen. Giovanni grinned, he could see the sun right through his curtains. Time to wear his new birthday suit, it'd be his first good impression that his parents would receive from him since forever. Shuffling was heard from the downstairs, Uncle and Auntie were most likely setting up the atmosphere for the party that would take place as soon as his parents walked in.

Any moment now, he sat tight on his bed. His hair held back with gel, squeaky clean boots, a perfectly ironed, long sleeved buttoned shirt and some non-stained pants. He felt like the richest kid in the world. What could possibly ruin these next few hours?

The clock had just struck 11:30 am. Where on earth where his parents? Did they lie to him? His face was boiling with anger.  He knocked over a picture frame and turned over to rip his curtains apart and that was interrupted by the most ear piercing, shivering, jumping cry he'd heard. Things were being trampled on, Uncle demanded they'd leave, “Get away! Not today!” then turned into a plea, “Please, spare us. It's a special day.”

Giovanni made it halfway down the stairs when he caught a glimpse at the scene. His eyes widen in shock before quietly marching back up, “Auntie said if these villains ever come here, I have to hide…” he quietly locked his room, found his spinning chair and reached for the string on his ceiling. Pulling it, a fit squared opened and he successfully made it in. It was so dark, there could've been spiders or rats for all he knew. Just then and there, his phone rung. “No!” it was right on his desk too but no way was he going back down there. He closed the small entrance to his roof and prayed silently.

“Do you hear that?” one of the men from ICE inquired over to his leader, trying to track the direction of the ringing. His bearded companion turned to the couple, “Is there anyone else here?” Instantly, Auntie and Uncle shook their heads. Mister beard man reached for his walkie-talkie, “Men, I'm going to need you all to do a quick inspection over the property.”

“No please, do not do that!” Auntie wailed.

“Why not? Hiding something? No? Maybe someone?” smirked the old man.

“Enough, just take us already!” Uncle Gregorio knew Giovanni's family would be here in any minute. Might as well take two than all four. Mr. Beard was fascinated, “Ladies first.”

The coast was clear. No more sign of those evil cars. He was free to come down. “Auntie? Uncle?” he whispered as he once again went downstairs. Not a sign of anybody. Balloons popped, tables flipped over, chips scrambled, soda spilled all over. “Genevive? Gregorio? It's not funny!”

In his ten year old mind, he decided that those men were going to take his aunt and uncle back to his mom and dad to Mexico and he wasn't planning on staying behind. Even if it meant riding in those prisons-on-the-go cars. He bolted out those doors and into the direction he assumed they headed towards.

He had been searching all afternoon. It was evening, the sky already gave off its purple, pink color before it turns all black. Tears were threatening to spill down his cheeks. He didn't know anybody. Instead of asking for help, he wandered off even more. Ending up in a dark alley. He saw a dark, taller, masculine figure on the other end. He had the chance to go running back but he didn't want to show his cowardness. He could just pretend like he was minding his own business and not make eye contact.

“Ay, kiddo! You lost?” came a Latino accent. That made him less frightened, but he was still on guard.

“Mm-hmm.” he responded nodding back.

“You know it's not safe around this hour.” The rugged man kneeled to Giovanni's height to make eye contact, “something can happen to you. Did you run away from home?”

“No,” Giovanni shook his head furiously, “I just wanted a family.”

“What's your name, sport?”

“Giovanni?”

“Oh come on, is that a question?” he teased Giovanni.

“My name is Giovanni.”

“Garrett, nice to meet you. Say, you want to be a part of my family?”

“Is there more people like you in it?”

“Plenty and we make money out being a family”

Meanwhile, his parents were devastated, not knowing where their son was. They contacted Genevive and Gregorio, they really never saw him that day. He was in his bedroom the whole time. He should've been hiding upstairs, still not a clue left. They posted up flyers, no one recognized the kid. They didn't want to fall into the idea that his body could be out there lying dead, without them even getting a chance to say goodbye.

So for years, Giovanni followed every commandment instructed by Garrett. Garrett said go left, Giovanni went left. Garrett told Giovanni to spray paint security cameras and he did. Garrett told Giovanni to break a window, climb into a house and grab a purse and he did it.

Now, there was a day when the gang was running out of dough and they were very desperate. Old man Garrett figured he needed a full pack of beer for the crew. So he jumped off from his torn up sofa with other alcoholic stains printed on it. Buckling his pants, he reached over for his pocket knife and engraved it in his barbeque aroma pockets. Since it had been awhile since he last exited the dimed cave, upon setting foot on those streets, he winced and frowned when the sun rushed up on his forehead. “What a gangster got to do for a pack of beer.”

It didn’t take him so long to find a victim, as soon as he turned the corner his eye spotted a typical white, sophisticated man with a red wine tie and a symphony that whistled from his mouth to the air. “Look at him, so sure that nothing ever wrong could happen.” he approached the man, pulling out his pocket knife. “Aye, my man! Got any change?” and before the man could even respond, the other moment he felt an agonizing stab. Beginning to spit out blood, he tried to get a hold of Garrett but Garrett just knocked him over, instantly finding his loaded wallet. Though for a moment it had seemed he’d get away with it, from the corner of his eyes he noticed some small movement. It was an elementary, blonde, pink bowed girl who witnessed the horrific scene. “Aye little girl,” he held up the bloody knife, as a sign of threat. This caused fear to the girl so she escaped from the scene, “Aye where you going, brat! You better not snitch!” he let her get away, “She’s gonna snitch.”

Forget about the beer, he had other evidence to kill. As soon as Giovanni entered the home, Garrett snatched him, “Aye man, I need you to get rid of something.”

“Okay, what is it?” inquired Giovanni
“It’s more of a someone. It’s a child- a girl.”

“What the hell, man? Nah, I don’t kill people. I do anything else but that.”

“No, mijo! Listen, I did worse. I killed a white adult. This is nothing.”

“Nothing? The hell you mean nothing.”

“I’m not asking you anymore,” Garrett finished the conversation. He handed Giovanni a gun, told him the exact description of the girl and lead him out the door, “Remember what I did for you.”

That’s where the journey ended. Their relationship had come to an end and their hearts were now filled with hatred and remorse towards each other. Garrett was charged with aiding and abetting for providing an illegal gun on the hands of Giovanni with life in prison since he was, after all a disgraced American citizen. It was now time for his final, official punishment. Giovanni Fonferdinan would no longer remain in the United States of America. He boarded on a plane and as it left the grounds touch, he knew this nightmare had only begun.

HELLOOOOOOO, okay this story did not ever happen... I HOPE. There might be similar, related stories out there but this plot was completly made up. It took me some time to find really unique names for my characters and yes, I really like the letter G.

janelle:) said...
YAS LIZZET LOVE IT ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️