7 Things to Know About the Sport of Soccer | Teen Ink

7 Things to Know About the Sport of Soccer

By rcruz26 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
rcruz26 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Soccer, what is it?

Around the world, exist many different sports. They range from baseball, which is mostly played in the U.S to rugby, which is played in Europe. These, and every other sport holds a significant and distinct meaning to its fans. One widely known sport and possibly the most popular one out there is, soccer. Soccer has been around for quite a while now and brings joy to everyone that watches it or plays it even.

Soccer was known to be invented back in the mid 19th century by the english. Many may argue that it wasn’t invented by the english. In fact, many also believe that it was invented by the chinese centuries earlier. This sport consists of having 90 minutes to score as many goals as possible. It is organized by two teams of 11 going head to head to obtain victory. It does not involve anything other than your feet, and head. There are way more rules than that which really have to be understood before playing a game.

2. What are some major tournaments?

Soccer is a very exciting sport as it is. What makes it more exciting is the tournaments that are held. There are a continuous amount of tournaments in this sport, but some are very important and the most entertaining to watch.

Some of the more entertaining ones may include The World Cup, UEFA Champions League, etc.

3. Around the world

Soccer is a very exciting sport as it is. What makes it more exciting is the tournaments that are held. There are a continuous amount of tournaments in this sport, but some are very important and the most entertaining to watch. Some of the most exciting ones may include UEFA champions league, World Cup, etc. Most of them are exclusive to teams only in certain regions. For example, the UEFA Champions League is only played in Europe and it is a tournament where Europe’s most extravagant teams compete for the title.

Others are worldwide such as the FIFA World Cup. This tournament is held every four years where every nation around the world has a chance to reach for glory. No matter what teams are permitted to play in certain tournaments, the world is still as connected as it was because it is a promising event for viewers all around the globe.

4.  Top teams, what about them?

In the sport of soccer, there exists many teams, a countless amount of them as they are still growing in quantity. There has been top teams that are absolutely top class with their players and their history as well. There also exists many rivalries within these teams, one that is the most popular in the world of soccer and probably will continue to be is, FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid. These two teams are considered to be the best teams to ever play the game. With both teams being located in Spain (one in Barcelona and the other in Madrid), they play in the same league known as La Liga.

These teams have broken many records with their players and for what they stand for. They are both truly amazing teams that every professional soccer player aims to be in.

5.  The World Cup                                                                     

The FIFA World Cup is the most popular tournament/event in sports history. Having this said it is only functioning every 4 years. Every 4 years, it is played in a different country and the host country has an automatic spot in the tournament. However, this is not the case for every other country that wants to be involved in the tournament. A year before the World Cup, tournaments are held per regions where the nations in these regions have to face each other for a spot at the World Cup.

Only 32 teams are able to play in the World Cup and one takes home the trophy. It is truly the most anticipated tournament and it is the most important and desired trophy in every professional soccer player’s trophy cabinet.

6.  UEFA Champions League

Though the world cup only comes on every 4 years, there is an alternative that everyone loves. This alternative is the UEFA Champions League. The champions league is an exclusive tournament only to teams in europe. The top teams of every league in europe get a shot in this tournament. This tournament is also as important as the World Cup because not only does it show who is the best player in europe but it also shows what club is the best in the world. The team that has won it the most times is Real Madrid from Spain. They have won this tournament about 13 times.

As said before, this competition shows the best players in the world, but it may also help young stars to be discovered. The current top goalscorer of this tournament is Cristiano Ronaldo (portugal) from Club Juventus in Italy. The second top goalscorer is Lionel Messi (argentina) from FC Barcelona in Spain.  The UEFA Champions League is a way to also earn the most priced peronal trophy, The UEFA Player Of The Year trophy.

7. The best players to ever play

There has been a lot of controversy about who is the best player to ever play the sport of soccer. There are players who have played back in the 60’s who are considered the best and there are also players at the moment that are considered the best. Players such as Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo Nazario, and Ronaldhino are very sinificant  figures of the sport which have caused many to love soccer.                                                                 

Nowadays, the two most significant figures are Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. These two players have both had a huge impact in the sport itself. From scoring 92 goals in one season to having won the most champions league titles in history, both Messi and Ronaldo have broken records by making them look very easy. Both of these players have the same amount Balon ‘D ors proving that they are both world class players. There is an ongoing debate of who is the best player in history, Messi or Ronaldo.

I personally love soccer which is mainly the reason as to why I chose to write about it. I enjoy talking about it and I also enjoy playing it myself. I believe that I have quite a lot of knowledge about soccer which is why i challenged myself to write an article on it.