What Freedom of Speech Is | Teen Ink

What Freedom of Speech Is

By RABBITorHABIT GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
RABBITorHABIT GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Freedom of Speech is an American flag, moving slowly in the wind, high in the sky for all to look upon. Red, white, and blue being the true colors of difference, representing the melting pot that is America.

Freedom of Speech is a Saudi woman getting the job she never could in her home country. Her freedom had been taken from her there, but now she has the opportunity to chase her dreams.

Freedom of Speech is a group of passionate protesters in front of the White House. The change in their country belonging to them and their words.

Freedom of Speech is a Tweet being sent out by a young college student, simply wanting to vent about the troubles of his government. He does not realize he’s part of a bigger picture.

Freedom of Speech is many things, but that’s the beauty of it. It’s a wonderful tool that goes underappreciated in our unknowing society. We all are different and that diversity is delightful. Our opinions can be shared in so many ways and sometimes, just sometimes, that can lead to change and progression. And that is Freedom of Speech.

This is an essay on Freedom of Speech and what it means to me.