Gun Control: Safety for the Future | Teen Ink

Gun Control: Safety for the Future

May 24, 2019
By Ali_1503 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Ali_1503 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Our founding fathers created a government in which change is purposely difficult,” commented Chris Murphy in an interview with CBS. This is a true statement when people want to add or change laws. Our government was created with the thought in mind that everyone has a voice and is valid. These privileges can be good but they can be misused by people who haven't seen the bigger picture. Considering these statements, there are many different opinions on how gun control should be handled. First, we must show the bigger picture of how opposing aspects of the controversy are considerable and what should go into the argument of which gun control laws we should have. Second, seeing how restricting some laws may be to people and businesses. Third, checking how promotion is misused, and how it is being positively used to promote just laws in this controversy. And lastly, showing what is necessary and not necessary for laws and control regarding guns.

There are many new restrictions coming in considering gun control. The people who are advocating for gun control are hoping that this will decrease the number of gun violence offenses. On the contrary, there are also negative effects of some of these restrictions. To be able to buy then sell firearms, a person must have an FFL (Federal Firearms Licence) and to get one they must have an ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) license too. There were many of these licenses out in the 1990s but, the Clinton Administration recognized that the licenses were not monitored to a full extent. They then tightened the rules and regulations to have an FFL license. There are now only 140,000 licenses out now according to The Regulatory Views report on the Limitations of Federal Gun Regulation. To be able to have one of these licenses there must be a building that the firearms are being sold and kept. This restriction is promoting an easy way to keep track of those who have purchased a firearm. Businesses should be promoting positive uses of a firearm and teaching consumers how to use guns safely.

There is a lot of protesting required in this controversy. There are usually two sides regarding gun control, which consist of having guns banned altogether, or having nothing changed with the laws requiring firearms. These examples are a little extreme, but it feels like political extremity has become reality in modern America. These are normally promoted on the internet because of their big impact on our society today. There is some negative which must come to a stop, as many of these posts are seen by children and change their view of firearms to more violent and negative. There are also people out there like me who respect them and don’t joke about gun violence. The shootings that happened in a New Zealand mosque was horrific, and nearly 50 people were shot and killed according to Al Jazeera's article New Zealand mosque attack: who were the victims. When keeping up with the news many articles state the man doing the shooting was live streaming it on facebook. This awful news has led New Zealand to make stronger and more uptight gun laws. This act by New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has promoted there to be more enactment on America's gun laws. That brings us to the point of America's reaction to gun laws.

When concerning America's gun laws there are a lot of things that are necessary to it. There are also things that take the whole controversy to an extreme. There are a lot of things that need to be done, and of course a lot of less helpful gun laws. Many people believe that there should be deep background checks on people owning guns and people planning on buying a firearm. That may be good in theory, but there may be flaws in that, because of one small charge on someone's record a petty felon may not ever be able to purchase a gun. With that statement though there may be many helpful things when it comes to the government's watch of mental illnesses and how people are in the now. Many gun owners believe that some kinds of background checks may be good and that some military and assault weapons should be banned or should require a special license to be obtained according to Procon’s article called Should more Gun Control Laws be Enacted. There are many more laws that should be enacted and talked upon with our government.

Right now there are many debates on what actions are necessary and when and how they should be acted on. America should start to think about how restricting different things with guns and gun laws will affect our economy and businesses. At the same time, Americans should be trying to compromise on how to restrict the number of gun violence crimes. America needs to watch what is put on the internet for new generations to see and how to not promote violence with guns. It is sometimes difficult to do the right thing, but we need precise laws and controls to help with this problem. There also must be a clear line on what is and is not necessary for new gun control laws. The people of this time must think of the new generation they are bringing up and how their new laws will affect us in the future. America needs to continue to be a safe and reliable place for its citizens so we can build off it in the future.